Probably a Vulcan

IMG_20210510_215633284

It'll probably be my 7th build of this kit and 19th total Vulcan build that I'll be entering into this group build. Some of these did cost less than a tenner but I've also spent more than a tenner on others, no idea which one's which.

Might convert it to a Vulcan B1 but in flight and gear up because I don't want to build B1 landing gear in this scale again, might leave it as a Vulcan B2, might make a B2MRR or even a Falkands Vulcan. No solid plans yet really, but I do want to build another of these fairly soon.

CZZxBSSWEAAaMXT.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Adam. Looks like you like Vulcans! Welcome to the GB! I'm looking forward to following what you decide to build! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Adam. Looks like you like Vulcans! Welcome to the GB! I'm looking forward to following what you decide to build! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hmmm yeah I do like them just a little bit 😂

• Like 1

IMG_20210519_115013386

So here's a kit picked out of my pile of Vulcans, I'm thinking maybe I'll do XM605 in wrap around camouflage aiming for how she looked in 1982. XM605 is still around today, one of the Vulcans in an American museum, although the paintwork looks to be in a similar state to XH648 pre restoration.

However I'm also looking at an in flight B1 conversion as I said in the initial post. It's not an entirely unfamiliar conversion to me as I've converted quite a few Vulcans to B1as and B1s, but the modifications to the tailcone and rudder will be challenging to get right.

IMG_20210519_115033468

• Like 4

This will be very smart, I'm sure.  Every time I think my Bf109 habit is out of control I just bring to mind your hunger for Vulcans and then feel free to invest in a few more of Willy's finest on the basis that "Adam Poultney has more Vulcans"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/05/2021 at 21:31, jackroadkill said:

This will be very smart, I'm sure.  Every time I think my Bf109 habit is out of control I just bring to mind your hunger for Vulcans and then feel free to invest in a few more of Willy's finest on the basis that "Adam Poultney has more Vulcans"!

😂 i just admit my Vulcan habit is out of control

On 20/05/2021 at 19:39, PlaStix said:

Hi Adam. I like your choice of kit and I like the sound of your idea to convert it. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

I decided against the conversion in the end and will be building XM605, however I have more in the stash and will definitely convert at least one

Started today by cutting a slot in the bomb bay for a stand. This will be built to represent a Vulcan where it belongs: in the air.

IMG_20210522_181458_710

Intakes were roughly painted and installed. No need for painting them in white and masking, on wrap around Vulcans, the camouflage extended much further back.

IMG_20210522_180633499

IMG_20210522_180639901

IMG_20210522_180648900

• Like 3

Been modelling all day

ECM plate on

IMG_20210522_214249184

Just going to ignore the total mess under the other engines.

a fair bit of filler needed under the tail

IMG_20210522_214256340

And it's a Vulcan! Really not much to report on the construction of this kit. It's simple, small and has few parts. XM605 requires hardly any modifications unlike the vast majority of Vulcans, so it's even more straightforward.

IMG_20210522_214306292

• Like 2

The longest part of the build is always masking. Wrap around is a pain but at least there's no line between camo and a grey underside to get right, which with this kit would be even worse since the roundels are too small and won't line up with three underside colour properly. The undersized roundels were at least part of the reason to choose wrap around.

IMG_20210523_154734540

green was painted and the camouflage demasked, very satisfying process. I did get one spot wrong where some green got where it shouldn't but oh well, back to the grey to fix that. Once that was done i freehand painted the canopy, jetpipes and dielectric panels, followed by a coat of Vallejo gloss varnish.

IMG_20210523_175300788

https

IMG_20210523_175319622

First decals on

IMG_20210523_180635501

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

That's looking blooming fantastic, sir.  Really enjoying seeing her come together.  I don't know how you lot can build at such a pace!

Thanks :) I've just finished college so I've got a lot of free time right now, I've spent all day painting.

Check again in 10 minutes, these photos above were taken a while ago and I forgot to post them here. There will be a finished model once I have the photos uploaded to Flickr. 

1 minute ago, Adam Poultney said:

Thanks :) I've just finished college so I've got a lot of free time right now, I've spent all day painting.

Check again in 10 minutes, these photos above were taken a while ago and I forgot to post them here. There will be a finished model once I have the photos uploaded to Flickr. 

I suppose that's one of the advantages of using acrylics over enamels - much quicker drying times.

15 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

I suppose that's one of the advantages of using acrylics over enamels - much quicker drying times.

Yep, definitely. I near exclusively use acrylics.

Right so as promised, finished photos. I had a minor decal disaster and had to replace the serials and paint the round dielectric panel on the top of the fuselage which was previously a decal.

IMG_20210523_214100786~2

IMG_20210523_214704605_HDR~2

IMG_20210523_214749638~2

IMG_20210523_214927749_HDR~2

IMG_20210523_214526221_HDR~2

My two most recent Vulcans; the RFI thread will have more comparisons of models.

IMG_20210523_215158382

• Like 10

Congratualtions Adam on another beauty.  I have one of these waiting for next year's Falklands GB, so will be coming to you for tips!

Cheers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CliffB said:

Congratualtions Adam on another beauty.  I have one of these waiting for next year's Falklands GB, so will be coming to you for tips!

Cheers.

Looking forward to seeing it! More than happy to give the necessary advice for an accurate Vulcan (or as accurate as this kit can be)

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Fantastic work! And quick. I loved your conversion too.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks, hopefully there will be a second conversion soon as well. I really want to build a white B1

7 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Very well, and quickly done!

A real stand out in that scheme, great work 👍

• Like 2

Hi Adam. Well....what can I say?! You've only just had over a week to work on this one and you have finished it and produced an absolutly stunning Vulcan! You paintwork and finish look amazing!! Beautifull modelling all round! Very well done. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for building it in this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix