New 1/72 Airfix Spit Vc to a Seafire III

I really like the look of the new 1/72 Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vc, It’s negatives have been pointed out on here and I hope to rectify most of them when done, at least to a passable standard..

First task is to exchange the early style cannon bulges with a pair of narrow ones, and that’s quite a lot of plastic to remove. Here’s me wishing that the bulges were represented separately as in the older Vc model.  Luckily I have the clipped wing parts to fall back on if I butcher the classic wings too much.f

1. Fill the inner sections of each bulge

7d3422c5-2e29-4d82-bec3-2cdf5c983e57.jpe

2. Desperately trying to preserve the very smart engraved detail- I don’t want to re scribe too much, if at all.

15ca91cc-2835-470a-a7b0-d632682c1bd2.jpe

3. Time to hit each bulge and decided to tackle each one differently. One with a file and sanding stick, the other I cut with a rounded blade then sanded the remainder, unfortunately the latter was probably the worst result (albeit the quickest removal) as I gouged more than I required from the very front of the panel, which will need filling again -doh!

Will need to add some primer by hand and see where I need to remove more plastic to make the whole area smooth.

630099ef-f44f-4b2a-a567-48c25e1cc564.jpe

Edited by phat trev
Word edit
  • Like 15

Filler on. Any tips on how to flatten this stuff without hitting the panel lines, especially in 1/72. I have masked around and over the engraved lines but this does easily tear continuously without very careful sanding and filing.

0d887ccb-a03e-429d-8357-c28546f8f08e.jpe

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, phat trev said:

Filler on. Any tips on how to flatten this stuff without hitting the panel lines, especially in 1/72. I have masked around and over the engraved lines but this does easily tear continuously without very careful sanding and filing.

I have one of these, https://ak-interactive.com/product/glass-fibre-pencil-4/ which is very useful for tricky sanding jobs like that.

• Like 2

Great start, if I may say so. For the cannon bulges, could you gradually build them up in approximately the right shape with Mr Dissolved Putty/Mr Surfacer, and then finish shape them? Just a thought. I'll be following along, if I may - I've got a Seafire III in IAAC colours on my to-do list!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

Me. I think I would have removed the entire access panel with the large cannon fairing and substituted the correct one from another  kit. That being said, you could take a bit of square plastic or balsa stock and attach a  short section of  wet/dry to it with rubber or contact cement so that you would only be sanding a short section of the plastic and avoid going into or over the adjacent panel lines. I have several of these made up in different lengths and they work pretty well. Might be worth a try! The small square U-section plastic clips used to protect the blades on Bic single blade safety razors works very well for this purpose, and back in the day they also fit perfectly into the main wheel bays of the old 1/72 Airfix P-38  to box them in as well as the nose gear bays on many kits- does that give you a clue how old I am? (Like the Paul Simon song- Still crazy after all these years!)  :giggle:

Mike

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BIC-Sensitive-Shaver-Men-s-Single-Blade-Disposable-Razor-Value-Pack-Pack-of-24-Men-s-Razors/199740814?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=2769&adid=22222222420449455996&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=501107745824&wl4=pla-293946777986&wl5=9028097&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=199740814&wl13=2769&veh=sem_LIA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIisuZ_-3B8AIVzZ-zCh2_-g1gEAQYAyABEgLJEvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by 72modeler
added link, added text
  • Like 4

@mark.au I have got myself an AK glass fibre pencil coming in the post now, thanks for the hint - looking forward to using it.

thanks to @Paul Jfor help with sourcing spares, I have some narrow blisters to add when the wing surgery is complete and a set of latter style elevators 👌

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phat trev said:

@mark.au I have got myself an AK glass fibre pencil coming in the post now, thanks for the hint - looking forward to using it.

I also have a glass fiber pencil, it does come in handy. But, beware, the fibers break and shed when used, and can stick in the skin like cactus needles. Ouch!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, phat trev said:

Slow burner this one. Still can’t get the gun panels levelled, they look awful under a layer of rattle can undercoat.

288ea753-f0c8-40bb-8900-3da8c8d15c66.jpe

Hi Trev,

They're not looking too bad, a little more fettling and they'll be absolutely spot-on!

Just having another little think about narrow cannon bulges. How about shaping them from a couple of lengths of styrene strip? You may be able to find an appropriate width.

Mark the outline of the teardrop plan shape of the bulges on the strip, and file to the line. Then file the domed blister shape. You could glue them to sticks for easier handling. A small coat of Mr Surfacer should hopefully seal any edges into the surface of the wing. I might have a quick go myself to see if it's worth pursuing!

Just a thought.

Cheers

Mark

hi @phat trev,

I wonder if the now-out of production 3D-Kits conversion set for the Spitfire Mk IXc/e could help with your cunning plan? It has narrow blisters, a four-blade prop and six-stack exhausts (plus a free tall rudder!).

The Kiwi firm Jays Hobby Products seem to even have a few in stock...

Another suggestion for shaping the narrow blisters might be to start with half-round styrene strip, then shape the outline, as Mark suggests above. I'm assuming that there'd be some need to add curvature to the underside of the blister to match the top surface of the wing, but I doubt that there's too much bending/persuading necessary.

Either way, this is an interesting project - keep up the great work.

Andrew.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

hi @phat trev,

I wonder if the now-out of production 3D-Kits conversion set for the Spitfire Mk IXc/e could help with your cunning plan? It has narrow blisters, a four-blade prop and six-stack exhausts (plus a free tall rudder!).

The Kiwi firm Jays Hobby Products seem to even have a few in stock...

Another suggestion for shaping the narrow blisters might be to start with half-round styrene strip, then shape the outline, as Mark suggests above. I'm assuming that there'd be some need to add curvature to the underside of the blister to match the top surface of the wing, but I doubt that there's too much bending/persuading necessary.

Either way, this is an interesting project - keep up the great work.

Andrew.

Brilliant idea, Andrew! Ironically, I've got a couple of these sets in my bitsa box! 

Stewart still has a few sets available on eBay here, if anyone's interested.

Cheers,

Mark

17 hours ago, phat trev said:

Fortunately, I have the blister parts donated, mentioned on a previous post

oops, sorry for missing that! They look good and I see you also have the long carb intake.

I'm looking forward to your nest steps and I hope to follow suit soon.

Andrew.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 9:10 PM, phat trev said:

Slow burner this one. Still can’t get the gun panels levelled, they look awful under a layer of rattle can undercoat.

288ea753-f0c8-40bb-8900-3da8c8d15c66.jpe

How are you sanding them flat? If your using one of them new fangles sanding sticks try using a good old file. The sanding sticks flex so may not conform to the surface as well as you would like where a file being metal will stay streight and not flex.

I'm probably trying to teach an old dog a new trick here but people forget older methods for the latest and greatest thing.

Gondor

• Like 5

@Gondor44 I actually used different methods for each wing. One blister was initially started with a metal file and finished off with a sanding stick. The other hacked off with a blade, not my best modelling moment! Which resulted in the very clear divot in the photos 😂