USMC-LCAC 1/72 - Completed

Well having cleared some space on the shelves thought I would do something different while looking through the stash I wanted something as a straight build. :whistle:

So picked this one up and made a start had it a while and only paid 20 pound for the lot at a show a few years ago(remember those).

So lets see how we get on and there will be no seagulls with this maybe some pink flamingos though.  🦩

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Plenty of decals

spacer.png

And payload

spacer.png

base and skirt it is quite big for 1/72  :coolio:

spacer.png

and painting guide Yeah right

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

Edited by beefy66
Info added
  • Like 18

I have the same kit, will be watching with interest :popcorn:

Not sure of my payload, I have some Hummers and LAVs as well as an Abrams for mine. I know it will only carry the one Abrams while you could load up any of the other four to fill the ramp area.

• Thanks 1

Hi Beefy,

I have one in 1/144 in the stash, when i did a bit of research photo wise, its worth noting that what is called silver on the paint intsructions, you are better off using humbrol 56 (aluminium) or similar as the real thing is aluminium.

All the best Chris

• Thanks 1

Thanks for calling in gent's @whitestar12chris I had noticed the colour of these in a few photos from another build must be a main thing in modern ship building now as I seem to remember when doing my USS Independence LCS reading that they had an aluminium hull also.

spacer.png

certainly big beasts when compared to the crewman.

On with the build fit of the parts is very good only thing I am not happy with is the way the curtain fits to the lower hull the rubber lugs have to be secured to these holes around the sides but the rubber seams to big or has been stretched this is a second hand kit part started but only a couple of bits.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So to make the fit better I glude some plastic strip around the sides thick enough for the rubber to get a better snug fit all around.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And some frames the house the chains for the forward and aft ramps.

spacer.png

And some PE from the kit as covers.

spacer.png

Now back in October of last year @Chris,760 started a blog on one of these but he has not been around since December another lockdown build started with all good intentions I think so I will copy some of his links over for reference.

spacer.png

https://jeanfivintage.tumblr.com/post/20065968187/bassman5911-a-landing-craft-air-cushion-lcac

https://www.militaryimages.net/media/the-landing-craft-air-cushion-lcac.11307/

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 12

27 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

... certainly big beasts ...

A number of years ago, I got a surprise when driving through an amphibious base in Virginia.  Two of these 'beasts' crossed the road in front of my car.  They are pretty impressive ... and huge.

John

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dnl42 said:

I sometimes see these operating in the Pacific off Camp Pendleton. I can imagine the surprise if you were close! 😱

It was a surprise.  We were on a coastal road.  Base security stopped us & the LCAC's came up off the beach.  Lots of sand & dust being thrown around.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Started on a couple of the deck structures have to make two of each.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And now the shops are opening I managed to get down to my local model shop and use up some vouchers that I recivied for Christmas and also got some bits from the big A after recommendations from the BIG Boy's.  :whistle:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 11

20 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

This goes together very quickly, nice progress Beefy.

12 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Impressive looking machine

Rob

Thanks Gent's it has gone together with no problems until now the frames where the PE screens sit in are a wee bit to small so had to scrape around the aperture's and sand down the PE to get them to fit in.

And the propeller covers need some filling on the inside because of some rather large injection marks filled with green putty and left to dry before sanding time to start slapping some paint on now before fitting the smaller sticky out bits.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 10

1 minute ago, robgizlu said:

Looking very neat and sophisticated from here down south.

Rob

Cheers rob it is not to bad for a speed build not sure how to display in full water or about to beach will have to take some notes from you on that I think.  :book:

Stay Safe

beefy

Started painting the decks and prime the main boxes also made my first tank in about 2 years.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 8