Lockheed L188 Electra - Eastern Express

26Decals

19 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Is it a new tool? 

Let's hope so!  Thankfully, they seem to be past 'cloning' Minicraft's efforts nowadays.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was there a separate release announcement for the 1/72 Electra?  I’ve been following it here on Rumormonger and didn’t hear anything about the release.  I bought one on eBay anyway, thank you for the heads up.

I will buy the Eastern express Electra also.  The Electra was just one of those planes that were never done justice in plastic (757 as well).

It’s amazing but I never thought I’d see the day where almost every semi-popular airliner has been done in 1/144 injected plastic.  And from Russia too!  Good times...

Best regards....Duncan

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 12:44 AM, Radleigh said:

I know this thread is dedicated for the above, but has anyone bought these kits, if so how have you found them? Happy to be PM'd if it keeps the thread clean.

I have a few of his kits, but no build threads... 

Have a look at Iains thread over on LSP at his 1/32nd Andover. They are great kits, but they do need work. Fit is superb, goes together very well and very easy. It's just the prep of the surface that takes a while... but in my opinion, worth it all day long.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/85057-132-hawker-siddeley-andover-emk-3-3d-print/

Back to 1/144th Electras...

10 hours ago, NavyWessex said:

I know this thread is dedicated for the above, but has anyone bought these kits, if so how have you found them? Happy to be PM'd if it keeps the thread clean.

Just for the sake of a single data point, I have the Convair -880.

First off, EE uses a different method to cut the molds than RODEN, so the parts lack the "Spark Electrode Discharge" roughness of the Boeing 720B for example. The surfaces are very smooth, although sanding of the fuselage mating surfaces is recommended.

The panel lines are very fine and so close to scale, they look like they might be obliterated by heavy paint or excessive sanding. However, they are sharp and delicately rendered. Vortex generators are represented on the flying surface by a very fine matrix of recessed lines where VGs are located.

EE Molded the wings as a one-piece lower section, with left and right upper halves. The trailing edges are extremely thin, but in scale and they lack the flash buildup of the wings on the RODEN Super VC10 (where you sort of cant tell where the part ends, and the flash begins).

In order to get realistically thin trailing edges, the lower sections of the wings and stabilizers are nested into the upper halves (the upper halves incorporate all of the trailing edges. The one aggravation is the rebate joint for the upper and lower halves do not naturally fall on kit panel lines and in some cases the joints straddle diagonally over them. So, a requisite amount of filling, sanding and re-scribing is gonna be required.

Some people take this in stride, but for others its about as much fun as a root canal.

Incredible though it sounds, the 880 incorporates a full cockpit, featuring seats, yokes, center pedestal, instrument panel, Flight Engineer and Navigator/Observers station.

The wheels are beautifully rendered, although the mains are split into left/right halves. Cleanup concerns aside, they're probably the best-rendered airliner wheels i've seen in an injection molded 144th scale kit. The landing gear struts are delicately molded and in scale; so much so i worry they might be too delicate to support the weight of the model.

EE broke down the engine construction keeping the pod separate from the pylon. A welcome innovation that is gaining acceptance is a one-piece cowl ring to stick on the front end of the engine pod, thereby eliminate a hard-to-fix seam on the intake lips.

The fit of most of the parts has been pretty good, though sanding of the trailing edge of the lower wing is needed so that the trailing edge sits level with the integral trailing edge of the upper wing and stabilizer halves.

For a 1/144th scale model, this kit is well thought out. The boxing of the kit is amateurish in some ways, but nonetheless effective in others. The box itself is a rather cheap simplified affair, and the parts inside are packaged in a variety of bags and page protectors you'd expect to see at an office supplies store, rather than a kit company. However, the parts themselves are very well protected. If there was one place where improvement would be nice to see is in some more professional box art renderings in a more robust box. However, if you can stifle the giggling when you first open the box and take a really hard look at the parts, one is left very impressed.

-d-

• Like 4

FWIW (applies to other EE kits too).

I've been corresponding with EE while buying some kits, and I asked them if they would consider including grey plastic alternatives for the clear parts in their kits (especially the cockpit areas - like we see in test shots) as a lot of us would find it easier to blend in to the surrounding plastic.

They said that they would consider trialing it on a limited basis, probably selling them separately, to gauge the level of interest.  I have no idea if they will actually do so, which ones they will include in the trial, or how they would sell them.  If you are interested, I suggest contacting them and letting them know which kits you'd like to see included.  For me, it's the Tristar, MD-11, DC-10, Viscount, Trident, BAC 1-11, A300, A310 and A220.

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Any news on this? 

this would be an Instabuy!!  :)

Mike, its not exactly an update, but i've since received the Convair -990 and i heard the Trident I is now available. So, they are at least delivering on their schedule, one kit at a time anyway.

Of course, the bitching about the price tags *is* a constant....

-d-

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mike Esposito said:

Thank you David. Would also like the Trident as well.

Waiting for the CV 990 in Classic American Airlines livery. 

Yes they are expensive! 🤔🤨

I have the feeling we won't be seeing EE release the Coronado with AA decals, mainly due to licensing issues with American. However, i am sure that ingenious forces in the cottage industry are hard at work on aftermarket decals and dare i say..... masks??

BTW, it's beautiful.

-d-

I'll probably buy one. The last two EE kits I've built (Q400 and Viscount 700) have been quite nice. Yes they're pricey but if you buy direct from Russia they seem to be quite a lot cheaper - EE on Ebay or PAS-decals.com - EE has the newest releases, PAS has better prices but you seem to have to wait a while for the newest releases (they don't have the Convair 990 yet). I've bought from both before, shipping takes a while, but it gets there eventually.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2021 at 9:26 PM, David H said:

I have the feeling we won't be seeing EE release the Coronado with AA decals, mainly due to licensing issues with American. However, i am sure that ingenious forces in the cottage industry are hard at work on aftermarket decals and dare i say..... masks??

BTW, it's beautiful.

-d-

Try Vintage Flyer Decals. Just google the name. Links are still a mystery to this aging analog guy in a digital age. I have them — very nice. And VF decals are very high quality and a pleasure to use.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...