Dart Herald !! Marquette 1/72 : I tremble : Jersey Airport Diorama

Even though there were never that many Heralds, they were a very common sight in the UK from the early 1960s through to the end of the 80s. The last few (being used as freighters) were retired in the mid 1990s. My memories of them relate to seeing them either in the colours of British United Island Airways (BUIA) or, later, when BUIA was sold off by BIA, in the colours of British Island Airways (which is why I chose that scheme for my build.

I now have the rather nice Eastern Express injection moulded Herald (also 1/144) in my stash which I plan to complete in BUIA colours.

6 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Crikey Laurie, you don’t mind a challenge. Look forward to seeing this one take shape.

The Dart Herald was the first plane I ever flew in. Southampton to Belfast in late 1970. We went to visit my grandparents just before we left for Oz.

I had quite a few flights in Fokker Friendships around NSW in the mid 70's and a couple of years ago flew Sydney to Armidale and back in a Dash 8. It's always nice flying in these high winged planes with the great views you get from the cabins. Also had a few flights in ATR 72's with budget airlines around Indonesia. Great views again but they have a bad habit of falling out of the sky. I had one flight which was just about to land in Lombok when the pilot pulled everything up and we did aerobatics for 15 minutes until we landed without a word of explanation.

I will follow this build along as usual with interest.

Cheers

Steve.

Thanks Steve. From all of that the omans look precarious. What with one hostess prone on the tarmac. Can it get worse.

Yes I had forgotten. No wings obscuring the view.

Laurie

Great Ip Laurie, I was lucky with my window appetures although when I stuck the glazing in I was quite disappointed as they still were ressessed by around .5mm or more if I recall,  so I decided to do the freighter and filled all my windows. I am doing the wing to fuselage joints at the moment which is taking some filler!!!.

Great work 

Chris

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great Ip Laurie, I was lucky with my window appetures although when I stuck the glazing in I was quite disappointed as they still were ressessed by around .5mm or more if I recall,  so I decided to do the freighter and filled all my windows. I am doing the wing to fuselage joints at the moment which is taking some filler!!!.

Great work 

Chris

Yes noticed that with the windows. However as I want a passenger just have to accept that

Do you think i should order more filler Chris 😁

20 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Off to a good start Laurie.

Thanks Steve.

Laurie thanks both

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Oh, those windows.  Regarding the windshield decals, I'd recommend you make a photocopy and use them to trace masks for your clear windscreen.  That's what I do.

Yes it most exciting & fear it will get worse Alex.

But I will get there come hell or highwater.

Laurie

• Like 1

Wow Laurie is there actually a kit among all that?  And the progress you have made so far is stunning without a doubt,

Have to say Ive never really been into civil aircraft (only ever built a 1/44 Concorde which was quite recently).  Your builds though are really amazing and motivational.  From what most would probably throw out you make into a masterpiece. Even makes me want to give one a go, really inspirational, and a real challenge.

I know we have joked about it in the past but to me you really are an MM and I look forward to seeing the progress. 👍👌👍👌

Si

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Richard Humm said:

Considering that this was only the second FROG kit to include cockpit detail (the first was their Rotodyne), you were lucky to get an instrument panel of any description. 😀

Ha ha what instrument panel was that Richard 😁

Laurie

39 minutes ago, Simon Dyer said:

Wow Laurie is there actually a kit among all that?  And the progress you have made so far is stunning without a doubt,

Have to say Ive never really been into civil aircraft (only ever built a 1/44 Concorde which was quite recently).  Your builds though are really amazing and motivational.  From what most would probably throw out you make into a masterpiece. Even makes me want to give one a go, really inspirational, and a real challenge.

I know we have joked about it in the past but to me you really are an MM and I look forward to seeing the progress. 👍👌👍👌

Si

Actually when I opened the box, it was second hand, it actually looked 10th hand somebody had looked at it cut all from the sprue then gone for a walked to Ebay.

Theses are my first goes Si  one year out of 20 for civilian stuff.

No doubt that civilian are different to military as the livery is more complicated & very precise. Just wondering how it will be to go back to military.

4 civilian to go then I will find out. Thanks Si

Laurie

3 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Great start at taming this beast of a kit Laurie kudos to you that cockpit panel looks great

Watch this one unfold with interest

thanks for sharing

Eamonn

Thanks Eamonn. secretly I am enjoying it. Always had pleasure in restoring motor bikes when young & motor cruisers when mature (maturity came late)

Laurie

• Like 1

Laurie: may I suggest that if you want to do clear windows, that you sand the interior with 220 grit until the clear parts stand closer, if not flush with, the surrounding skin.  This will improve the looks of the product, and even allow you to use something like Perfect Plastic Putty to clean up the gaps around the windows.  Your best bet for a suitable mask would be C-54 pax windows.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Yep good work fella. 

Chris

Thanks Chris much appreciated mate.

6 hours ago, SteveMc said:

It’s fighting you Laurie but I’m confident you’ll beat it into submission.

Thanks Steve hope your optimism is well placed  🤣

3 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Laurie: may I suggest that if you want to do clear windows, that you sand the interior with 220 grit until the clear parts stand closer, if not flush with, the surrounding skin.  This will improve the looks of the product, and even allow you to use something like Perfect Plastic Putty to clean up the gaps around the windows.  Your best bet for a suitable mask would be C-54 pax windows.

From a far Alex that is a good idea. but these are the windows.

http://GMiO8K.jpg

Fitted them & they look OK & do not need any filler which is a plus.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 6