Pioneer2 Polikarpov R-5 (£3.99)

AdrianMF

Another excellent choice for this GB Adrian. This is the kind of kit I was hoping to see being built! Great stuff!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stevehed said:

I enjoyed building this kit

You set the bar a bit bloomin’ high too! A very nice build indeed. A lot of useful references in the thread as well.

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Another excellent choice

I’ve actually got six or seven candidates lying around the study, but I will stick to those two first and see how the time goes.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got this kit for my birthday and have been wrestling with it since. The wings are on and the rigging is done. It has been a real challenge as nothing really fitted. I'll be watching along.

• Like 1

On 21/05/2021 at 14:01, Richard Tucker said:

nothing really fitted

Hardly the most encouraging comment! :)

…although I had my suspicions…

it would be nice to see it if you feel like posting up a pic.

Regards,

Adrian

This brings back memories Adrian, as I used to have the Encore boxing (now sold on unfortunately).  The same artwork, but different decals.  IIRC the artwork is supposed to represent a Spanish Civil War machine, although it was actually the later R-Z that served in Spain, not the R-5.  An irrelevant fact that I felt obliged to share :winkgrin:.

Enjoy the build.

Adrian, that is a truly heroic choice. Especially that there is a good kit R-5 very recently on the market. Is it really a Frog design? 

I have work  on it (the WIP is on BM) - very useful is the monograph book by Maslov. Do you need some drawings? There are serious shape errors mostly in engine area. Engraved ribs are the most obvious flaw but easy to cure. 

Regards

J-W

On 5/24/2021 at 2:43 AM, AdrianMF said:

Hardly the most encouraging comment! :)

…although I had my suspicions…

it would be nice to see it if you feel like posting up a pic.

Regards,

Adrian

Here is the current state of play with the R5.

y4mL9KKI7ixVEBNjeSyDIQPteGzqlBpT1LeXUFMr

y4mv_fgejX0JlSAELwW0lT9q6C8mw7gcyrJFqn6K

y4m-gpOiZQ1XaMf8Rxz08qd5tQWlLy84mEwhPux7

It looks ok but it has been a lot of effort to get that wing on as the central struts don't fit in the holes in the fuselage. The wing struts also don't fit in the holes.

I've got almost to the end of the work and then realise.... there is no windscreen glass.  What do you plan to do about the 2 canopies?

• Like 1