1/72nd Williams Bros, Curtiss R5C Commando, US Marine Corps 1950`s.

Hiya Folks,

Another one of my cellar survivors which needed some tlc,....... this is the old Williams Bros C-46 kit built as a US Marine Corps R5C Commando in its distinctive Sea Blue Gloss finish. I have to say,... I`m not too sure about the codes,..... I applied them many years ago from the spares box and I think they came from an Italeri Skyraider,..... so I confess,... the tail code may be wrong!

I added Aeroclub white metal propellers and had to remove some of the wing walk decals as the water had badly affected them,....... but the brush painted Humbrol enamel Sea Blue Gloss (now sadly discontinued) finish seemed to stand up to the immersion quite well considering after a good wash!

I`m looking forward to the forthcoming Valom C-46 kit.

DSCF0928-NEW.jpg

DSCF0935-NEW.jpg

DSCF0929-NEW.jpg

DSCF0930-NEW.jpg

DSCF0931-NEW.jpg

DSCF0932-NEW.jpg

DSCF0933-NEW.jpg

DSCF0934-NEW.jpg

DSCF0937-NEW.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 43

47 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Despite the codes she is a great model, Tony :). Nice :)

Martin

Thanks Martin,.... I my just change them yet,.... I`ll see if I have anything suitable in the spares box.

36 minutes ago, roginoz said:

Scrubbed up nicely after the unwanted bath !

Likewise, looking forward to Valom's version !

Rog

Thanks Rog,..... yeah I was surprised the paint held out to be fair.   

• Like 1

Lovely to see this , having recently completed my first Williams Brothers Kit I appreciate how nice they are.  Great finish with a brush fella, this will be a big old model in the display. 

Great work on the restoration. 

Chris

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JWM said:

This kind of shining and brush?! Hats off!

J-W

Thanks J-W,.... this particular paint was quite easy to apply by brush,.... such a shame they stopped doing it. 

45 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Lovely to see this , having recently completed my first Williams Brothers Kit I appreciate how nice they are.  Great finish with a brush fella, this will be a big old model in the display. 

Great work on the restoration. 

Chris

Thanks Chris,..... yeah it is  big bird mate,..... so much bigger than a Dakota,.... I`d say it is bigger than a Lancaster too. 

33 minutes ago, John_W said:

Very nice. Williams Brothers did some nice (but challenging) kits of some neglected subjects.

Thanks John,.... yeah I totally agree,.... nice but challenging kits of neglected subjects just about sums them up mate. 

32 minutes ago, BerndM said:

Well recovered !

It would be very nice to have a newer tooling of this type.

Thanks mate,.... yes the forthcoming Valom kit should prove interesting,.... I did like their recent Valletta.

12 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Beautiful model! Your paint work is wonderful!

Thanks mate,... but the paint was quite easy to brush with,.... sadly it has been discontinued now.

Cheers folks

Tony

• Like 2

I used to love the Humbrol Authentic range. They were my go-to paints back in the 70s and 80s, when I was brush painting too.

That C-46/R5 looks the business. It is a real beast of an aeroplane.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tonyot said:

Hiya Folks,

Another one of my cellar survivors which needed some tlc,....... this is the old Williams Bros C-46 kit ......

but the brush painted Humbrol enamel Sea Blue Gloss (now sadly discontinued) finish seemed to stand up to the immersion quite well considering after a good wash!

Cheers,

Tony

Totally agree. I still have some of the Humbrol sea blue which I used on a Corsair recently. It's at least 20 years old and still brush paints perfectly. It'll be a sad day when it's used up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

I used to love the Humbrol Authentic range. They were my go-to paints back in the 70s and 80s, when I was brush painting too.

That C-46/R5 looks the business. It is a real beast of an aeroplane.

Thanks Eric,.... and yeah a real beast. The Humbrol Authentics were good paints OK,..... and yet with modern paint technology they cannot do as well? 

4 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

This is a tricky kit to get right and you've made a great job of it especially with a gloss finish! Nice one :)

TT

Thanks TT,.... it is a hard kit and mine is by no means perfect by any means,..... I`m looking forward to having a go at the Valom kit. 

2 hours ago, noelh said:

Totally agree. I still have some of the Humbrol sea blue which I used on a Corsair recently. It's at least 20 years old and still brush paints perfectly. It'll be a sad day when it's used up. 

Cheers Noel,.... aye I`m the same,..... mind you I found an old toy shop 10 years ago which had a rack full of the Sea Blue Gloss,.... so I stocked up with 8 tins!! 

• Like 1

Hi Tony

This one is very nice and a little unusual amid your huge collection of Commonwealth aircraft.

That said you made me like this overall blue C-46 and I am looking forward to getting this soon to come Valom kit.

Patrick

• Like 1

So Tony, how many is that ( completed kits ) for you thus far this year??? 47??? 62??? 107????  I don`t know how you do it but don`t stop and keep them coming. :clap2:.  The C-46 looks pretty good too 😉

Mike

PS : I myself, am stuck at two simple kits completed for 2021. :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VG 33 said:

Hi Tony

This one is very nice and a little unusual amid your huge collection of Commonwealth aircraft.

That said you made me like this overall blue C-46 and I am looking forward to getting this soon to come Valom kit.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick,..... yeah I do like US aircraft too and have quite a lot of US Navy aircraft especially..... although some are quite old now and I`ve never photographed them. I do like transports and I built this one to go with my Korean War collection too. 

2 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

So Tony, how many is that ( completed kits ) for you thus far this year??? 47??? 62??? 107????  I don`t know how you do it but don`t stop and keep them coming. :clap2:.  The C-46 looks pretty good too 😉

Mike

PS : I myself, am stuck at two simple kits completed for 2021. :thumbsdown:

LOL,.... I`m not counting mate,..... I just keep plodding along,..... and two completed kits is OK,.... we are all different.  Glad you like the Commando too.

Beautifully done.  The Commando is a downright pleasing aircraft to look at in this color scheme.  I love how the fuselage insignia reflects off the wing upper surfaces.  Yes, during the Korean War period, they would have been kept very clean.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautifully done.  The Commando is a downright pleasing aircraft to look at in this color scheme.  I love how the fuselage insignia reflects off the wing upper surfaces.  Yes, during the Korean War period, they would have been kept very clean.

Thanks mate. 

A nice recovery on that Tony. I do like the Commandos, quite the can do aeroplane. That is a less usual scheme you've got there but it does look the goods. Was that in Hu 181? Certainly a colour Humbrol would bring back if they were a bit smarter, imho of course. :D

Steve.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Nicely done!  :worthy:

Your work on surface prep and the finish was beautifully rewarded! 

Thanks mate,..... 

13 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A nice recovery on that Tony. I do like the Commandos, quite the can do aeroplane. That is a less usual scheme you've got there but it does look the goods. Was that in Hu 181? Certainly a colour Humbrol would bring back if they were a bit smarter, imho of course. :D

Steve.

Cheers Steve,... yeah thats the one,.... 181,.... a superb colour and paint. I have a few still squirrelled away,.... but not as many as I`d like. I do like the C-46`s on the TV programme `Ice Pilot`s',..... like you say, a real `can do' aeroplane. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a real beauty Tony. 👏 I guess I will never really quite understand why Humbrol 181 was discontinued back in the 90s whereas many other colors which are clearly of much more limited use in modelling have remained in their line to the current day.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 6:00 PM, Wulfman said:

Excellent build and finish !

Wulfman

Thanks mate. 

3 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

This is a real beauty Tony. 👏 I guess I will never really quite understand why Humbrol 181 was discontinued back in the 90s whereas many other colors which are clearly of much more limited use in modelling have remained in their line to the current day.

Cheers mate,..... yeah such a good colour and it went on beautifully by brush. I still have a pot or two squirrelled away as it is still my go to paint for this colour.