Right place Right time, & about blooming time ! #Finally Finished#

JOCKNEY

Thanks Mike

I had a choice between heavy duty sanding on the seam or keeping the original rivets, so I kept the rivets.

Apologies to anyone that this upsets, I'm afraid the 13 year old who bought the kit got the better of me !

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2

After some additional tidying up it looks like this

IMG_5960

IMG_5961

I've sorted the camouflage near the tail, after I took the photo.

Ready for decals, and yes, I still haven't done the red stripe on all those bombs !

Cheers Pat

• Like 10

That is good progress on this kit Pat. I have always liked the Airfix Stirling, and had the pleasure of being given one for Christmas about three or four (ish) years back, and it still builds well, as you have proven. And it was a good call keeping the rivets, it does not look right without!

Ray

• Like 1

HI Pat. You really have made impressive progress and it really is looking superb!......and obviously very big! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

As I feared the original decals are playing hard to get.

The wing roundals behaved themselves but the side roundal and letters less so !

IMG_5975

Despite virtually dipping it in decal fix, it's not playing ball

IMG_5976

Same on the other side, and...

IMG_5977

Trying to fix it, I've made it worse, now need to paint some yellow in ! :swear:

A very grumpy Pat

• Sad 6

Sorry to hear that Pat, the older Airfix decals are notorious for being a bit brittle. 

I'm sure you'll fix them up with a spot of paint. 

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 1

Well I've certainly taken my time getting this one finished having bought it aged 13 !

However I'm finally calling it done, I hope you like it and I've done the kit justice after all these years waiting patiently to get built.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement, photos below

Cheers Pat

IMG_5989

IMG_5990

IMG_5993

• Like 13

• JOCKNEY changed the title to Right place Right time, & about blooming time ! #Finally Finished#
24 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Top build Pat,  very well done! 

I've got an unbuilt bomb-train from a Stirling that I built in 1995 - so double congratulations for finishing that as well.

That's why I goaded you a bit at the start.

Yes you sod, I can't remember the number of times I mentioned you along with expletives during the build but I'm glad you challenged me !

Come on there only just over 100 parts in the tractor, trolleys and bombs, what's stopping you  ?

In fact my turn for a challenge, do them in the forthcoming Blitzbuild in August :wicked:, are you game ?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Nice one Pat :goodjob:.  Have you got any more kits from your youth in your stash?

Thanks Cliff

Yes lots, I'm afraid, hence all these golden oldies that I build in the GBs.

Are you looking for something at the moment, I might be able to help you with ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Are you looking for something at the moment, I might be able to help you with ?

No thanks Pat.  I've just spent the last few months selling off half my stash (and of course I've still got too many :winkgrin:).

• Haha 1

Fantastic build Pat, flicking through your build reminds me of the time spent at the dining room table. Watching my Dad build this kit, with him occasionally letting me glue a bit.

• Thanks 1

Hi Pat. It's great to see you have managed to get this big kit finished way before the end of this GB. Despite the issues with some of the decals you have done a fantastic job with the old kit. Very well done! It's a superb addition to our Gallery. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And thank you very much for building it in this GB!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

I'm liking that a lot Pat, well done :)

Built one as a kid, but nowhere near that good 

Pretty sure I've got one of those in the loft, but I've gone off wingy things

Must sort out what I have and decide what to keep and what to get rid of at some point 

Ian :) 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/07/2021 at 13:03, Ozzy said:

Fantastic build Pat, flicking through your build reminds me of the time spent at the dining room table. Watching my Dad build this kit, with him occasionally letting me glue a bit.

Thanks Ozzy

I wished you had said earlier, I could have posted you some of the bits to glue together, to bring back some happy memories.

Cheers Pat  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2021 at 9:29 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Yes you sod, I can't remember the number of times I mentioned you along with expletives during the build but I'm glad you challenged me !

Come on there only just over 100 parts in the tractor, trolleys and bombs, what's stopping you  ?

In fact my turn for a challenge, do them in the forthcoming Blitzbuild in August :wicked:, are you game ?

I was planning a grey Berlin Chipmunk, using the Airfix 1/72 kit.

However,  I dropped and broke my laptop yesterday. Currently using my old Amazon Fire - from which I've never posted pictures. It's also painfully slow.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I was planning a grey Berlin Chipmunk, using the Airfix 1/72 kit.

However,  I dropped and broke my laptop yesterday. Currently using my old Amazon Fire - from which I've never posted pictures. It's also painfully slow.

Sorry to hear that mate, blooming expensive and no doubt really inconvenient for real life as well !

There's always the Blitzenbuild at Christmas, Santa might provide a laptop and an opportunity to return to that lovely tractor, trailers and bombs I know you are desperate to tackle 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1