Right place Right time, & about blooming time ! #Finally Finished#

JOCKNEY

279 parts is roughly 8 Airfix Spitfire mk1s. So fuselage 1 Spitfire, landing gear 1 Spitfire, turrets and tail stuff 1 Spitfire, wings 1 Spitfire each, the bomb load and doors is 2 spitfires, bomb tractor and trailer 1 big Spitfire.

Eight easy kits! 

Regards,

Adrian ( who never builds four engines bombers for exactly that reason!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi Pat. Yeah....that does look like a lot of parts!! Like Greg and Adrian said - just take it slow and steady. With bigger kits I tend to break the build down into smaller sections - that way you can feel you are making progress with small steps rather than trying to run at it all.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Some progress, 

To give myself a lift and to take my mind off the almost HMS Victory, sized number of parts, I decided to glue some big bits together 

IMG_5907

Do you ever get the feeling that even after all these years, this one isn't in a rush to get built !

Meanwhile, back to the original 48 parts, now in the "buff"

IMG_5911

I've started painting the crew and the interior has had a second coat of cockpit green.

Cheers Pat

• Like 10

Hi Pat. Mmmmm.....I think those wing parts may be a bit warped.....maybe.......just a tad. I think some of this kit may need a little :fight:

But I agree with what @GREG DESTEC said above.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress, sorry it's been so long.

IMG_5934

Crew painted and starting to go in.

The turrets are proving a bit of a battle, fit wise with people weapon and clear parts all seeming not to want to fit together, is this normal for this kit or am I just unlucky ?

However I have done the tractor and trolleys 

IMG_5936

I need to add a red stripe to the bombs and add them.

There still seems like a mountain of parts in the box !

Cheers Pat

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

That’s looking good Pat. I was concerned you had turned all those lovely parts into a keyboard until I saw the fuse under it 😁

A keyboard is one of the few items that isn't included in the box if I'm honest. 

I've just started on the undercarriage which is blooming huge !

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some tangible progress with this build.

Turrets finished and in position along with the crew

IMG_5937

IMG_5938

Instrument Panel from the instructions, just like we would have done back in the day

IMG_5939

Turret framing needs a tidy up

IMG_5941

Finally that's the 2 fuselage halves together and yes all the turrets still turn, and it's a biggie !

IMG_5943

Suddenly dawning on me now, where do I put it when it's finished, you should have warned me earlier Greg !

Cheers Pat

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Finally some tangible progress with this build.

Turrets finished and in position along with the crew

IMG_5937

IMG_5938

Instrument Panel from the instructions, just like we would have done back in the day

IMG_5939

Turret framing needs a tidy up

IMG_5941

Finally that's the 2 fuselage halves together and yes all the turrets still turn, and it's a biggie !

IMG_5943

Suddenly dawning on me now, where do I put it when it's finished, you should have warned me earlier Greg !

Cheers Pat

Yep a real shelf filler, just wait till you put the wings on! 

My B-29 is propped against the wall with the wing tips and stabilisers taking the weight. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Hang it from the ceiling?????

Who do you think he is,Ced B or something? :evil_laugh:

Stirling work so far Pat,mine lives in a box at school as a demonstration piece with regular reworks of the wire antenna.

• Like 1

Good progress today

The Stirling Cabriolet, now has its undercarriage fitted, so it looks like it has high heel stiletto's on !

Also I've fitted the engines and yes the props do spin :like:

IMG_5951

IMG_5952

The underside hasn't needed any filler, so borrowing an idea from Mike aka @Ventora3300 in his recent Airfix Wellington build, I'm not going to paint the underside and instead just put a coat of matt varnish on instead.

IMG_5953

Canopy masking next, the Cabriolet's days are numbered I'm afraid.

cheers Pat

• Like 10

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks terrific. I bet that box is looking a lot emptier now!

Regards,

Adrian

Thank goodness, I was starting to think people were putting extra bits in the box just to keep the build going ! :phew:

• Haha 1

Looks terrific, Pat. Lot’s of ‘traditional’ modelling going on here and that’s a great result on the warped wing. I agree it seems a crime to cover up the black plastic if you can avoid it. These old Airfix kits always seem to have a step at the fuselage seams though - it’s hard stuff as well! Keep it up, mate. All the best. Mike

• Thanks 1