Right place Right time, & about blooming time ! #Finally Finished#

JOCKNEY

• JOCKNEY changed the title to Right place Right time, & about blooming time !

I don't normally frequent the aircraft section here, but my early modelling was all Airfix planes built with (mainly by) my dad, so I'll follow along for the nostalgia.   I also used to get Airfix, Dinky, Tri-Ang etc. catalogues via a friend of the family who ran a shop, so the box artwork alone evokes strong memories of childhood.  😌

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Come on, Pat - we're three pages in and not even a sniff of any action yet, you big tease!

I'll have you know Mrs Jockney has me on a diet currently, so all going well I could be down to a morbidly obese medium tease by the end of the GB :like:

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I'll have you know Mrs Jockney has me on a diet currently, so all going well I could be down to a morbidly obese medium tease by the end of the GB :like:

Hi Pat,

what a coincidence! I have been forcibly put on a diet as well. The word sweet is now forbidden in this household... I do sympathize with your predicament.

But with over 200 little bits of plastic to stick together, you should forget about the hunger pangs! 

This is a great kit, although the undercarriage has always scared me...

Have a lot of fun!

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Pat. That's a great kit for this GB and I'm really looking forward to following your build of it. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Pat,

what a coincidence! I have been forcibly put on a diet as well. The word sweet is now forbidden in this household... I do sympathize with your predicament.

But with over 200 little bits of plastic to stick together, you should forget about the hunger pangs! 

This is a great kit, although the undercarriage has always scared me...

Have a lot of fun!

JR

Hi Jean,

Not as bad as it sounds as nearly half the parts are the tractor, bomb trolleys and bombs! Incidentally Pat, you probably know this but the concensus seems to be that the bombs were a cream/ light tan colour rather than yellow up to about 1942, after which they were dark bronze green.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi Jean,

Not as bad as it sounds as nearly half the parts are the tractor, bomb trolleys and bombs! Incidentally Pat, you probably know this but the concensus seems to be that the bombs were a cream/ light tan colour rather than yellow up to about 1942, after which they were dark bronze green.

Pete

I believe they were "Bombs in the Buff"

I used H81 when I built my Hampden so I'm planning on using the same on this one, complete with red stripes.

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

Welcome to Club Stirling Pat, a fine choice. A real Airfix Classic if ever there was one.

That T4 box you have looks the part, the little detail of the Airfix T4 roundel in brown gives it a very seventies look. Lovely stuff.

I would recommend you clearcoat the decals if you intend using the Airfix originals, and set them on a gloss base. Mine nearly reduced me to tears trying to get them to work. The decals cracked badly and silvered even worse over the fuselage rivets.

I have the remains of a couple of sheets here if you need them, say the word and I'll dig them out.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Welcome to Club Stirling Pat, a fine choice. A real Airfix Classic if ever there was one.

That T4 box you have looks the part, the little detail of the Airfix T4 roundel in brown gives it a very seventies look. Lovely stuff.

I would recommend you clearcoat the decals if you intend using the Airfix originals, and set them on a gloss base. Mine nearly reduced me to tears trying to get them to work. The decals cracked badly and silvered even worse over the fuselage rivets.

I have the remains of a couple of sheets here if you need them, say the word and I'll dig them out.

Thanks very much Tony, although I am a long way away from decals at this stage.

Was the interior of the aircraft, aircraft green ? What about the colour of wheel wells and bomb bays ?

Looking forward to starting this one but must tidy up my started builds first !

Cheers Pat

I always wanted one of these, but not for the plane!! I was completely fixated with the little bomb tractor etc- hope that's all accounted for- you can live without half a fuselage!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I saw 'large Airfix' and 'lots of parts' in your original post my first though was a Stirling but the £5.00 made me think it was something bigger. Nice to see it in the GB, I'm looking forward to seeing the acres of black plastic.

Unlike modelling minion the Stirling is the only Airfix big bomber that I did build as a kid, possibly the same boxing as yours.

Edited by TimJ

Finally got round to checking all the parts, and I can see why 13 year old Jockney was a bit intimidated by the number of pieces !

IMG_5837

IMG_5838

IMG_5839

Looks all there to me, result !

Cheers Pat

• Like 8

Looks good Pat, but double-check all the glass.  That's the part that most frequently goes missing.

I thought about your build,  are you going to build the bomb-train as well? 

That probably accounts for half the parts - and I don't think I've seen one fully assembled yet. . .

Two Stirling builds, and one bomb-train remains unassembled - in a safe place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tcoat said:

Is that figure on the left (by the props) holding a bowling ball?

51187313646_b8e7a6b8e2_b.jpg

Lets hope he hasn't beheaded someone and he's holding it up for a better look !

Also the bomb aimed always look like they are on the loo ;)

Cheers Pat

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Lets hope he hasn't beheaded someone and he's holding it up for a better look !

Also the bomb aimed always look like they are on the loo ;)

Cheers Pat

Could be just doing some Hamlet.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I thought about your build,  are you going to build the bomb-train as well? 

That probably accounts for half the parts - and I don't think I've seen one fully assembled yet. . .

Seeing as it's you and despite having unfinished builds all over the place....

OK I'll do the tractor and trailers as well, in for a penny in for a pound !

Cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 18/05/2021 at 17:46, jackroadkill said:

Now that's what I remember unassembled kits to look like - we're proper spoiled with these fancy new toolings we get today!

Tractor parts and Stirling parts on the same sprue - that's the way to do it!

I definitely had this kit, seeing the parts laid out reminded me that the bomb bay doors were impossibly narrow and wouldn't sit straight when I glued them on. It was the only big bomber I ever had, and don't think I finished it. Airfix somehow made the massive undercarriage really fragile and it couldn't support the weight of the chunky wings. Pat beware!

• Like 2

One of my favourite Airfix kits. It builds well straight out the box.

The surface detail is all raised but I think it looks better than the Italeri kit. The engraving on that one is a bit OTT for me.

The canopy is slightly too small for the fuselage, but it still looks OK fitted. Falcon do a full replacement set of glazed parts but I stayed with the kit provided bits on my build.

The undercarriage seems strong enough to me, no problems with it up to now. Unlike my Airfix Battle.

The wonderful Bomb Trolley and Tractor additions are basic compared to the recent Airfix RAF set but they still scrub up well. I replaced the tail end of the bombs on my build as the kit parts are more like storm drains than sheet metal.

It's a good kit Pat, have fun. I know I did.

IMG-2171-copy.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

So time for an update

Im still finding the sheer number of parts intimidating if I'm honest, so made a start fitting all the glazing to the fuselage sides.

IMG_5845

Its definately going to need a second coat, and as you can see, I've made a start in the tractor unit.

IMG_5846

IMG_5850

The 16 bombs come in 3 parts, so that's 48 bits on their own ! plus...

IMG_5851

The holes didn't mold so that's 32 holes to drill out....

More later

Cheers Pat

• Like 9