Right place Right time, & about blooming time ! #Finally Finished#

JOCKNEY

The year is 1978, I'm 13 years old and thanks to my paper round I have my own money to buy model kits.

My local model shop at the time was called "Arts and Crafts" and this was located in South Chingford. 

The model shop wasn't the biggest but it was crammed floor to ceiling with stuff. It was a narrow shop with a glass counter down both sides of you. On the left was model kits of every size and budget, on the right was model railway stuff, and fixed to the ceiling was radio controlled stuff, at the end was a door that led into their stores area that as a nipper I used to dream contained all sorts of amazing kit related items, but in reality probably wasn't very unexciting  !

On this particular day I was as usual looking at kit catalogues and chatting to the person behind the counter when a man and his son came in and asked to speak to the manager. 

As it was a small shop (and I was nosy) it was impossible not to hear what was going on. The man wanted to get his money back for a kit they had bought as it was too difficult and had too many pieces. Problems started when the kit was produced showing the box had been torn in the corners, things got worse when it was discovered that despite the dad telling his son not to open the bag containing the parts he had done so as he wanted a look and some of these parts were now loose in the bag !

Things became quite heated, the refund was refused but the son was allowed to choose 3 of the blister pack airfix kits instead, which he duly did and they both left.

As you can imagine things were a little strained in the shop and I overhead the manager saying to the lady on the till, what were they now going to do with the kit ?

This is where I chanced my arm and asked what they would take for it. The person I had been chatting to said I was a very regular customer  so could a deal be done.

After what felt like ages I was told that there was no guarantee the kit was complete but I could have it, how much would I offer ?

Emptying my pockets of sweet wrappers and of detritus found about £5 in coins so they put a sticker on it for £5 & I was the kits new owner. The kit was one of the big airfix ones that was normally well outside my spending money so I was absolutely delighted. 

So any guesses on what the kit is ? :wicked:

Cheers Pat

Edit - when I found the kit it was actually £2. I haven't changed this on here as the following posts wouldn't make sense. 

Old age and forgetfulness catching up with me it appears !

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Airfix han't really got into 1/48 at that time  -  so I'm ruling those out.

They had started 1/24 Superkits, so that's where I'm thinking.

Spitfire, Me109, Hurricane, Mustang, and Harrier were a few years earlier - so probably not those.

I can't think of much in 1/72 that qualifies as BIG from that time - though a re-issued B-29, or Stirling will catch me out.

I reckoning a 1/24 Stuka, released 1977.  

Right or wrong @JOCKNEY?

• Like 1

A fiver was still a LOT of money back in 1978 - so I'm also guessing 1/24 Airfix - I'll go with the Hurricane - just to keep things lively ;)

Steve

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BIG X said:

A fiver was still a LOT of money back in 1978

I remember seeing a fiver once when I was kid in the 70s. It was a bit like this.

• Haha 1

As the GB doesn't officially start until the weekend, I will keep the suspense going till Friday.

I'm beginning to worry now that I might end up disappointing people ! :cry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I was 12 in 1978, living in New Road E4, virtually opposite Greaves and Penn Sports shop (owned the great Jimmy Greaves), near to Bishops Supermarket and its infamous Bishops Ramp up to the rooftop Car Park, where intrepid skateboarders, the latest craze of the time, would forever be breaking limbs (never had a skateboard so I had to make the trip in a shopping trolley until I got tipped headfirst into a pile of doggie-do on the grass verge of Brook Crescent opposite)!   

Obviously with this being my stomping grounds, Arts & Crafts was my weekly go to and I was devastated when this little oasis of calm closed down; it was like a part of my childood had died with it!

My guess is either the B-29 or C-130 as I remember coveting them there, never having a fiver to spare!

What schools did you go to Pat?

• Like 1

As it is well known that you were terribly short-sighted as a wee lad, I would say the Airfix 1/72 Gladiator! You know, the one with the head of the pilot sticking over a serving tray where the cockpit should be?

Everybody told you it was a big one... and Oh gullible you, you believed them...

Telling the world the sad truth about your misshapen youth will teach you for making us stew until the weekend...

But have a lot of fun with your fiver. By the way, is it the original one?

Cheers mate

JR

• Haha 4

On 5/10/2021 at 10:09 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Emptying my pockets of sweet wrappers and of detritus found about £5 in coins so they put a sticker on it for £5 & I was the kits new owner. The kit was one of the big airfix ones that was normally well outside my spending money so I was absolutely delighted.

I've just thought what £5 in loose change was like in 1978.

No pound coins back then. Old 50p coins,  no 20p coins yet. Bigger 10 & 5 pence pieces, then copper - quite a pocketful.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Fatcawthorne said:

I was 12 in 1978, living in New Road E4, virtually opposite Greaves and Penn Sports shop (owned the great Jimmy Greaves), near to Bishops Supermarket and its infamous Bishops Ramp up to the rooftop Car Park, where intrepid skateboarders, the latest craze of the time, would forever be breaking limbs (never had a skateboard so I had to make the trip in a shopping trolley until I got tipped headfirst into a pile of doggie-do on the grass verge of Brook Crescent opposite)!   

Obviously with this being my stomping grounds, Arts & Crafts was my weekly go to and I was devastated when this little oasis of calm closed down; it was like a part of my childood had died with it!

My guess is either the B-29 or C-130 as I remember coveting them there, never having a fiver to spare!

What schools did you go to Pat?

Hi @Fatcawthorne

Wow that's spooky

I think I still have the scars from the Bishops supermarket ramp and of course The Albert pub that bizarrely was built underneath the supermarket  :shrug:

School for me should have been Chase Lane but as my mum and dad were religious I was sent to St Mary's up at North Chingford. 

I Iived in Russell Road so Chingford Mount was my hunting ground for model kits along with Woolworth which was next door to Bishops of course. 

I wish I could find a photo of our old model shop, I spent many an hour in there looking at kits I couldn't afford but I got lucky on this occasion 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @Fatcawthorne

Wow that's spooky

I think I still have the scars from the Bishops supermarket ramp and of course The Albert pub that bizarrely was built underneath the supermarket  :shrug:

School for me should have been Chase Lane but as my mum and dad were religious I was sent to St Mary's up at North Chingford. 

I Iived in Russell Road so Chingford Mount was my hunting ground for model kits along with Woolworth which was next door to Bishops of course. 

I wish I could find a photo of our old model shop, I spent many an hour in there looking at kits I couldn't afford but I got lucky on this occasion 

Cheers Pat 

Know it well.  My Nan lived in Hall Lane (my Mum still lives in Cherrydown Ave too) so when I went round hers whilst exploring the alleys round the back of the factories I'd always pick up loads of reject Matchbox cars thrown over the fence from the satellite Lesney factory there.

Chase Lane Park, remember that well too.  Used to play football there and loved the Youth Clubhouse.  Was there a train ride there, not to the scale of the Ridgeway Park Model Railway, or am I starting false memories here. 

My Dad after splitting from my Mum moved up to West Scotland too, although not as high up as you must be.  He's in Langbank on the south bank of the Clyde. Think he wanted to get me into St Mary's but my Mum's CofE so Larkswood it was (well before Harry Kane and David Beckham went there!!)!

I had a couple of good Spurs Fan mates that went to St Mary's but they were a year or two younger than me so would be nippers in comparison!!!

Did you stay around the Chingford area much longer?  My haunts (obviously after turning 18 - yeah right!) were the Kings Head, The Bull & Crown plus The County Arms after school as I was at Sidney Burnell by then!  My Teenage lads don't believe a word of any of my stories from those times, how things hav echanged eh!?  

Edited by Fatcawthorne
Extra stuff!
  • Like 2

Yes Chase Lane Park was our mainstay for football and we used to play the staff from Matchbox and the Cork factory when they fancied a kick about at lunchtimes during the school holidays.

Yes it was st Mary's for me whilst all my mates in the street when to Chase Lane. Beckham lived in Hampton Road so we must have played at Chase Lane too.

I don't remember there ever being a railway over there although there was the paddling pool which is now a skateboard park and I'm afraid the clubhouse where I learnt to play pool is no longer there either.

I moved my mum to Potters Bar after I lost my dad to be nearer my sister so I seldom get back to Chingford, are you still local ?

• Like 1

Just now, JOCKNEY said:

Yes Chase Lane Park was our mainstay for football and we used to play the staff from Matchbox and the Cork factory when they fancied a kick about at lunchtimes during the school holidays.

Yes it was st Mary's for me whilst all my mates in the street when to Chase Lane. Beckham lived in Hampton Road so we must have played at Chase Lane too.

I don't remember there ever being a railway over there although there was the paddling pool which is now a skateboard park and I'm afraid the clubhouse where I learnt to play pool is no longer there either.

I moved my mum to Potters Bar after I lost my dad to be nearer my sister so I seldom get back to Chingford, are you still local ?

I'm in Colchester now, moved up there when my first son came along and we couldn't aford the upgrade from a 2 bed flat in Heathcote Grove to a house locally.

My Mum's in Cherrydown Ave still as she never escaped, and my sis was in Whitehall Road until a year or so back.  Still go down, but tend to meet at the Biker's Tea Hut at High Beech now as we've all got dogs to walk!    

Always loved being close to Epping Forest, not so proud now of the fact that some of my 17 or 18 year old self's Mk1 Ford Capri's wheelspin tyre tracks appeared in Full Metal Jacket as the scene where they were on a Platoon Run was filmed on the road that connected the Tea Hut to Epping New Road next to the junction with Rangers Road. Different times indeed!

• Haha 2

Back in the 1980's there was a branch of John Menzies a few yards from where I worked and one day I found an Airfix B-29 in a rather battered box that they were selling off cheap - £2.49 reduced from £4.45 according to the label on the box., The one I bought when they first came out in around 1966 was  probably 12/6 mind so the price had gone up considerably but given the dates I suspect Pat did not get a B-29 as in 1978 it would not have cost £5 full price if the Menzies label is correct! For a fiver to be a reduction we seem to be looking at something really big so maybe the 1/24 Spit or one of the other 1/24 kits - Mustang, Hurricane and Stuka.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2