Zvezda - Boeing 767-300 Varig

While I'm still trying to solve the problem with the Lufthansa DC-10 cockpit windows, I decided to start with my other kit that I had in my queue. In order to complete the complete line of Boeing passenger planes, I chose the Boeing 767 in the colors of the magnificent Brazilian airline Varig.

The choice of VARIG started through a very strong link that I have with the airline and with Brazil itself: My grandparents emigrated from Portugal to Brazil in the 50's. They met there, got married and had children telling Portugal again already in the 1980's.

On the trips they made from Rio de Janeiro to Oporto they chose Varig most of the times and even today, they always tell me how big, splendid and good the airline was in terms of service, quality and planes.

Thanks to that and also thanks to my mother, my house is full of things from Varig. Cutlery, trays, blankets and more. Like TAP and Swissair, Varig is an airline that is in my heart, due to my connection with Brazil. An airline that unfortunately shouldn't have had the outcome it did. But turning now to the kit itself!

I bought this kit on sale on eBay and with free shipping! I was quite satisfied however, a little suspicious that the kit is from Zvezda. Since I was a kid, I've been used to seeing Revell kits. That's why I always try to give preference to Revell, even knowing that most of the time the mold is not the best. 

51169657410_815f40643b_b.jpg

The box is a normal Zvezda box, with the lid and the illustrations drawn, along with the classic box where the kit comes from, which is quite good and resistant and useful for storing things in the future!

When I started assembling the kit I put the two main parts together and I was very surprised by the quality of the kit. The two pieces fit perfectly and at first glance everything looked in place. All the pieces have incredible lines and details that honestly left me with an excellent impression of Zvezda! For all kits to be so perfect, I started to have a favorite brand!

51169345569_4f530f5cfc_b.jpg

The next step was to apply putty to all the windows as well as to make the necessary changes to the main fuselage. This Boeing 767 comes with the Aeroflot layout which consists of four doors at the front and four doors at the rear.
It turns out that the Boeing 767 that I'm going to make, the PP-VPV has a different configuration: It has two doors at the front, four windows on the wings and two doors at the rear.
I confess that I was very close to changing the plane to the -200 version. The 767-200 is an airplane that manages to have a very peculiar beauty. But after comparing the 767-200 and the 767-300 with the same painting (yes because Varig operated with both versions), I opted for the -300 version. Maybe one day I won't make a 767-200 with the colors of American or United Airlines :)

51167892347_34c94857ba_b.jpg

The kit had such a good fitting, that the windows fit perfectly into the holes. Obviously, I putty and sanded everything and in the final result the entire surface was polished. I have to stress this one more time. The kit had such a good fitting, that I didn’t apply putty in the top and bottom. I just sanded it and then with the help of a scalpel I redid the lines I had erased with the sandpaper. It was a 1st time, not applying putty to cover bad fittings, which saved me a lot of time and patience! Zvezda you rock! 

51169657650_3f7793b8ec_b.jpg

After sanding and applying the wings (and those had to take a little plastic putty from Vallejo), I turned to the engines while the putty was not drying so I could sand again to apply the primer.
I decided to follow the instructions and started with the low pressure turbine and nozzle area of the engines. After assembling (just to check the fit and shape of the engine), I noticed that this interior part would not be very visible. Anyway, I decided to apply a smoky color in order to simulate a little the metallic alloy already marked by the high temperatures there. Varig's 767 used to have General Electric CF6-80C2 engines. 

51168793663_1974717c3c_b.jpg

After that I decided to apply a primary white to reveal some imperfections as well as for the paint to adhere better when applying the final color. This afternoon I did it and left it to rest. Next time I will probably sand the imperfections a little and then start with the painting process!

Edited by Diogo Monteiro
  • Like 5

• Diogo Monteiro changed the title to Zvezda - Boeing 767-300 Varig
  • 2 weeks later...

Some progress on the Varig 767! The main fuselage was already painted with the first layer of primer and it has showed me some imperfections. Specially on the joint wings in the below surface. For more that I try to sand and putty, cracks always appear! Without the gap between the two pieces disappears. I will look into that with more detail in a near future. 

Meanwhile I've put my attention to the engines. The turbine section is done jut like the fan, the only thing that is missing is gluing it all together. I've noticed the engines have a great fitting but this is not the case for the silver ring. As you can see from the picture below, the Varig 767 has a blue engine. So may I ask here for opinions: Shall I place it, putty, sand and then paint in silver or shall I follow another philosophy? 

1097274-large.jpg

Today I've also painted the elevators. The only thing missing on them is the leading edge painted in silver. I decided to let the ink rest and dry properly. I've complety forgot to take pictures but I'll let you with one that I've posted on my Instagram! Looking forward to continue with this 767. Definitely the best kit I've ever did so far!

51198641088_c039b25511_b.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good Diogo.

The Zvezda kits usually have a great quality.I can of course only speak for the airliner kits.

The 767 is no exception as you already found out.Its much better than the Revell 767 kit.

Both are accurate in shape but Revell messed up the engines.The RollsRoyce version is fine though.

I got quite a few of both in my stash which I hopefully manage to build one day once my bench (full of 747s) clears up a bit😉

Looking forward to the finished product.

Very nice choice of livery.

I used to see Varig frequently in Zurich back in the 90s,although with 747s ,DC-10s and MD-11s.

Recently I bought Varig decal sets for the MD-11, Boeing 707 and 747-300

• Like 2

Today I've painted the last (I hope) layer of white on the 767 fuselage. The wings are completely painted but masked now because of the white. The next step now is to paint the blue belly and tail as soon as the white dries. But here it lies a problem: I've thought I had the correct blue shade for the tail and belly but turns out I was wrong. On the next picture I will show you the matching decal color and on the right the blue color I could create but still far away from the desired one. 

51232358941_3bea69ffca_b.jpg

Does any of you know the RAL Code or even the Vallejo code for the matching blue? It would be a huge help If any of you would know! Thanks in advance! :D

As you could also see in the last post, the engine exaust cone was painted already. Ive attached the engine already, I've puttied it with plastic putty and today I've sanded it. Despite all the putty disappeared after I applied a small sandpaper and the rack still appearing on the engine, the surface when I've touched it was very soft and uniform. I will know sooner if this was a good or a bad sanding process :D 

51233134804_9dc32350d9_b.jpg

Next process like I've said before is to paint the belly and tail, but also the engines. When ill find the right blue shade and I hope it will be soon, I will continue with this! 

• Like 2

On 03/06/2021 at 13:13, Alex1978 said:

Looks good Diogo.

The Zvezda kits usually have a great quality.I can of course only speak for the airliner kits.

The 767 is no exception as you already found out.Its much better than the Revell 767 kit.

Both are accurate in shape but Revell messed up the engines.The RollsRoyce version is fine though.

I got quite a few of both in my stash which I hopefully manage to build one day once my bench (full of 747s) clears up a bit😉

Looking forward to the finished product.

Very nice choice of livery.

I used to see Varig frequently in Zurich back in the 90s,although with 747s ,DC-10s and MD-11s.

Recently I bought Varig decal sets for the MD-11, Boeing 707 and 747-300

I've decided I will pick up the Zvezda models instead of the Revell ones... I think Zvezda's quality its outstanding! This 767 is very good indeed but when I've started to paint in white, I've noticed the main line from the top of the airplane pop up, so if I had put some putty on it wouldn't had been such a bad idea but never mind!!! I think in the end it will be still a decent kit. 

Varig is also part of mu identity as long as for many Brazilians. I can't find no one who speaks bad about Varig. Actually Varig was known as the Swissair of South America because of its outstanding service. The MD-11 in the Varig Colors is very beautiful. I think its a very good and classical match! The other planes with the Icarus near the front main door was also a classic that most pilots liked very much! Actually that Icarus was for many their lucky charm and when Varig changed its livery from that one to the Landor one, many didn't liked it...! Looking forward to see your models with the Varig colors Alex! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Diogo Monteiro said:

Today I've painted the last (I hope) layer of white on the 767 fuselage. The wings are completely painted but masked now because of the white. The next step now is to paint the blue belly and tail as soon as the white dries. But here it lies a problem: I've thought I had the correct blue shade for the tail and belly but turns out I was wrong. On the next picture I will show you the matching decal color and on the right the blue color I could create but still far away from the desired one. 

51232358941_3bea69ffca_b.jpg

Does any of you know the RAL Code or even the Vallejo code for the matching blue? It would be a huge help If any of you would know! Thanks in advance! :D

As you could also see in the last post, the engine exaust cone was painted already. Ive attached the engine already, I've puttied it with plastic putty and today I've sanded it. Despite all the putty disappeared after I applied a small sandpaper and the rack still appearing on the engine, the surface when I've touched it was very soft and uniform. I will know sooner if this was a good or a bad sanding process :D 

51233134804_9dc32350d9_b.jpg

Next process like I've said before is to paint the belly and tail, but also the engines. When ill find the right blue shade and I hope it will be soon, I will continue with this! 

As it looks on the photo,the blue could be Revell 52 or 54 .You may check those if available at your place.I dont know the RAL codes though.

Alex

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

As it looks on the photo,the blue could be Revell 52 or 54 .You may check those if available at your place.I dont know the RAL codes though.

Alex

Thanks Alex! I’ve put them on list to check! In a Portuguese modeling group a guy said I should try Midnight Blue from Humbrol. By checking the code that gives me 71 090 from Vallejo.

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/product/hobby/model-air-en/deep-sky-71090/

I also found this color online https://www.rgbcolor.xyz/ral/90.html and by RAL code gives me 71 088 from Vallejo: https://midwestmodelrr.com/product/vallejo-model-air-71-088-french-blue-17-ml-bottle/ I will try to see these two colors in real anda then I’ll make a decision!

Edited by Diogo Monteiro
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, stringbag said:

Looking forward to the finished article Diogo.  Hope you resolve the seam line issue.

Chris.

Thanks Chris! 

im very excited to finish it as well! I also think the line issue will be easily fixed 😁

Hi Diogo

I love seeing your model building work - you are producing some excellent models.

Regarding the Varig paint colour, I've stopped trying to buy an exact matching paint and instead mix my own matching colour.

For your Varig blue, I would use the nearest dark blue paint I have and try mixing it with a dash of black or white to make it darker/lighter until it looks about right.

You will get the desired result without all the problems of trying to track down the perfect pot of colour.

Best of luck with this build

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diogo Monteiro said:

Thanks Alex! I’ve put them on list to check! In a Portuguese modeling group a guy said I should try Midnight Blue from Humbrol. By checking the code that gives me 71 090 from Vallejo.

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/product/hobby/model-air-en/deep-sky-71090/

I also found this color online https://www.rgbcolor.xyz/ral/90.html and by RAL code gives me 71 088 from Vallejo: https://midwestmodelrr.com/product/vallejo-model-air-71-088-french-blue-17-ml-bottle/ I will try to see these two colors in real anda then I’ll make a decision!

You are welcome.

Midnight blue comes pretty close to Revell 54.

You also should take to account that the size of tje model.On smaller ones,colors can appear much darker than they actually are.

Alex

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2021 at 13:54, Timo said:

Hi Diogo

I love seeing your model building work - you are producing some excellent models.

Regarding the Varig paint colour, I've stopped trying to buy an exact matching paint and instead mix my own matching colour.

For your Varig blue, I would use the nearest dark blue paint I have and try mixing it with a dash of black or white to make it darker/lighter until it looks about right.

You will get the desired result without all the problems of trying to track down the perfect pot of colour.

Best of luck with this build

Cheers

Tim

Hey Tim, 

Im very appreciated for your support towards me. It means a to for me for real! 

Well I've made some progresses yesterday and today and I only came to the forum after that, I read your post and I can say I've did exactly what you've said! I've picked up some dark blue and dark and I've made the real color for real! Will post the progresses in a couple minutes :D 

On 08/06/2021 at 14:45, Alex1978 said:

You are welcome.

Midnight blue comes pretty close to Revell 54.

You also should take to account that the size of tje model.On smaller ones,colors can appear much darker than they actually are.

Alex

Hey Alex! I've decided actually not to use the real decal colors. I've realised in the end the test band was not exactly the same color as the letters! I've decided to keep the original dark blue! 

Over the last days I didn't had much time to work on my models but yesterday and today I've made as well some new progresses! 

Like I've said in the replies above, I've dropped the idea of using a lighter blue color like the test band from the decal because of two reasons: 

A - The color didn't looked the same on the test band and on the letters;

B - The color was just too light compared with the original one; 

In the end I've mixed blue and black with a ratio of 10:1 and it turned out to be a perfect match! Yesterday with this new blue shade I've sealed the tail and I've also painted the engines. Let me show you the result: 

51253892478_76305f4e7f_b.jpg

51253892488_3a1a9be6da_b.jpg

51253892483_2d75bdf816_b.jpg

As you can see, my masking skills are not the best ones so far, so I need to make some small adjustments but I think in overall the engines looked very good and the gaps disappeared totally! The dark color also helps a bit though. The only thing that annoyed me a bit were the engine nacelles! They didn't fit 100% in the engine core, so I've twisted them so for the good fit to stay on top and the not that good one in the bottom, a small mistake. As a perfectionist I didn't liked it but it is what it is... 

When it comes to today's work. Well.... Whaaaaat a challenge to me and also to my patience. As you can see, the Varig Landor scheme had a blue belly. This blue belly was bounded by this checkered band of light blue and dark blue: 

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/357527

So I basically printed in printer the decal sheet, I've put some tape on top of it and I've started to create the lines with a pen to before cut it and apply on the airplane. This in theory is beautiful. In practical no. The stripe was way too thin and it broke. I've tried to make this step 3 times so it didn't worked. I've made my own curves and painted the belly with dark blue. Just like the engines I need to make adjustments... (nightmares with the white) but lets hope this don't differ very much from the stripes. In the last resource they have extra stripe so I can improvise a bit, but im open to suggestions of course! Will leave you with some pictures of today! 

51254734465_a3e220a0c1_b.jpg

51254734470_a06277dd14_b.jpg

I think after the small adjustments in the main frame, the airplane will be ready for the first layer of varnish and then my best and favourite part: Decals!!! :D 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

It's been a while since my last update here on the VARIG 767 topic. I've been having lots of flights among also with work and the day unfortunately doesn't stretch. Well over the past weeks/days (whatever) I've been doing small adjustments on the main painting of this 767. One of my goals with modelling is learning a new thing to improve the next model a bit. With this I take the opportunity to ask here, because in a very honest opinion im tired of doing this, and the things later go really wrong and my motivation goes to levels near 0. 

So the main point here, for the VARIG 767 and who knows for other projects ahead. To paint bellies in a curves shape (like the picture I will put below) how shall I perform in therms of masking in order to maintain a decent curve and also the geometry and the symmetry? Ive tried to do this with an eye but of course the results are not the ideal ones. Specially with this 767. To mask the wings leading edges was a nightmare and indeed some ink went to the other side... So if any of you guys could teach or even help me about to mask in order to have decent curves while keeping the symmetry like on the picture below I would be very appreciated. When it comes to pictures, I'll upload them next time! 

Thanks! :D 

G-BNWA_British_Airways_B767-300_planform

• Like 2

Welcome back Diogo,

Modelling is a constand learning curve .

You will get more and more experience with each model and certainly will find out ways to do things that suit you best.So dont let some mishaps take away your motivation.

I usually use Tamyia masking tapes of different sizes.

If you have them available you might try out 0.5mm and 1mm size tapes.These can be used well to make curves.

What I do is taking pictures of the real thing to see where the demarcation lines are.Then I make out points on the real thing as well as on the kit on which I can orientate.These can ve passenger doors,emergency exits,cargo doors,windows,panel lines etc.

Do one side and on the front and back ends use the thin 0.5 or 1mm tapes to get around the front until you reach the oposite location from where you started masking.

For the back end,use the tape on one side and find the middle seam of the fuselage halves.Do then the same on the oposite.

When done you can check by looking from the front if everything lines up and on the back from above.

The rest of the fuselage I usually cover with paper.

For the wing leading edges you can orientate mostly on the recessed panel lines.

I use a 5mm tape along those lines and mask the rest with paper that I stick down using masking tape.that way you save on masking tape and minimize the risk of tearing away paint.

If the flap tracks need to be covered as well,mask them and trim carefully the tape with a sharp modelling knife.

Thats my way of doing such paint tasks.

I hope its understandable 😉 and of any help for you.

Alex

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hello again modelers!

After so many months doing small upgrades and another retouches finally the main parts of my Boeing 767 are done. The curve line in the back of the aircraft which has the navy blue color gave me nightmares. Or because it wasn’t symmetrical or because it wasn’t just the way I’ve wanted. Masking, remasking, painting layer by layer, in the end everything went okay (don’t ask me how).

The next step is the typical coat of clear varnish and decals! 

I’m sure after all, this will be a fast process. In the meantime I’ll let you with some pics of today’s work!

51901972894_14f96cf0e3_b.jpg

51901733858_ae0599e8cc_b.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

After yesterday’s intense work it’s funny to see this topic and check all the effort I’ve made during this whole year regarding this 767 regarding yesterday’s work. In 2 hours I’ve applied almost all the decals from the decal sheet. After a layer of clear varnish, It was time to give some art to this beautiful aircraft! 

The decals I’ve used for this 767, was the ones from Liveries Unlimited. I’ve found them on eBay in December 2020:

A4-134-I__99262.1503110974.jpg?c=2

This decal sheet was design for Revell’s 767, and at that time, Revell didn’t released the new version of the 767. So I was a bit worried if I would have to deal with some inconsistencies between Zvezda’s model and this decals. But everything went well in the end. The decals were very smooth and easy to apply! In the end I give a good review to them! The only things missing are just two tiny blue stripes and the main landing gear. After that, the 767 is ready for inspection! I’ll leave you now with the pictures of today’s work!

52018336558_a3ebcfbd9c_b.jpg

52017259137_f621b9359c_b.jpg

52018294046_e2398f1248_b.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/21/2022 at 11:38 PM, stevehnz said:

This is looking very nice. The Varig scheme is a very handsome one & this model is showing it well. :)

Steve.

Thanks a lot Steve! But indeed! This Landor scheme fits very well in the 767! In the beginning, I was thinking about making the -200 version of it but in the end I've ended up by doing the -300 instead. Its a classic and simple livery. Sadly we cannot see it anymore.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 12:26 AM, Back in the Saddle said:

Your hard work paid off - that looks excellent!:thumbsup:

Thanks Captain! Now the only work missing will be the tiny little blue stripes between the dark blue and white among the landing gear! Hope they can turn well in the end also :D 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The 767 assembly is going well! The landing gear is attached and only small touches are required. I still regret following the fitting marks and glue them in place, for in the end, they don't fit to the landing gear body itself. In the end, the landing gear or it looks tilted, or unlevelled. On this 767 was the case but not that excessive. I'll let you with a pic (as usual) and probably the next post will be on the Ready for Inspection section! 

52193976483_f04f9ebacb_b.jpg

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

Finally, after almost 2 years. This trend comes to an end. This week I was able to attach the last landing gear elements, as long as the last decals. The airplane is 99.95% done. Today it got the first clear varnish coat for later on to get the weathering. Because the airplane stayed for so long in the garage, it became a bit dirty, (even with a cover over it), so I will not over exaggerate when it comes to weathering. I will show the final result in the "Ready for Inspection" tab, as soon as I finish the weathering. 

Still about today, I was also able to do some improvements in some models that I had in my queue. The Tu-154 was painted in white, and today I was able to do (or at least try) the maskings to get the grey belly. The TAP A340, sadly opened a massive crack when I was about to painted it in white so sadly it will take a while to have it back, to end up this productive afternoon, I was still able to work in another ones which for now are still a surprise :)My main goal would be finishing the Tu-154 and the 767 so I could finally move on into another projects. This now is more close to happen, as the Tu-154 is 50/60% done. I'll leave you now with the final Varig pictures, before the coat and the weathering! 

52667426310_92aa13035d_b.jpg

52667492378_4cc12e5c0c_b.jpg

52667281564_8cceea3a28_b.jpg
  • Like 3

• 8 months later...