Hi from Edinburgh :)

Ravnos

Hi Guys and Gals,

I've been lurking on the forums for a wee while now and after posting in the WWII section a few weeks ago looking for some help with research I thought I better introduce myself properly.

I'm 32, living outside Edinburgh and while I built a few models in my teens and earlier I hadn't done any modeling until the beginning of this year when I decided to get back into the hobby. I had a pile of kits under my desk that were always a case of "one day I'll get round to building them" so after a relative gave me a couple more kits at christmas I decided to finally start working my way through the stash.

so far this year I've built an E-Type Jag closely followed by a GR9(I think) Harrier, the first kit I ever built as a 9 year old was the old GR1 Harrier so it seemed fitting!

spacer.png

A Hurricane and a JU-88 from a battle of britain 80th anniversary kit I got for Christmas.

spacer.png

And I'm currently nearing completion on a 1/720 scale CVN-65 Enterprise kit that I've had in a cupboard for about 20 years, this was my first time using an airbrish to paint anything and its been a bast learning how to use it properly. Just a load of tiny F4 Phantoms left to paint!

4PrPcTv.jpg

Hopefully when I start my next kit it'll be worthy of a build thread although with some of the talent on display across these forums I'm not so sure ;) I've got a potential house move coming up soon so it might have to wait until after that anyway. Next up I'm tempted to join in with the £10 or under group build (if its not too late to enter it), I've not taken part in any group builds yet so still figureing out the procedure :)

My current goal is to work towards building the Eduard 1/72 coastal command Liberatior kit I have in the pile, as my Grandfather flew them with 547 squadron during the war, I plan lots more kits before then though as I want to make sure I can do it justice. if you're interested in this project theres a lot more info in my other thread already so feel free to check that out. The help with research I got from various members blew me away and I am eternally greatful.

Outside of model kits I also fairly recently got a 3D printer so have been having a lot of fun with that, so far mostly just printing other peoples models but I have a lot of plans for it in the future and will probably have a dig around in the 3D printing section of the forum soon :)

phSyizP.jpg

Anyway thats about it for me, I cant wait to chat to you all a bit more at some point and see more of the amazing models you all build.

Rav.

P.S. Please excuse any glaring spelling errors, I'm mildly dyslexic and too tired to copy this into word to spell check it XD

Edited by Ravnos
  • Like 7

:post1:

Nice to see another “local” joining. There are a few members in your area. I’m originally born, bred and educated in Edinburgh but left for the joys of Borders Country in my late 20’s. Now living down near Earlston. 

You will enjoy if here. The members are a great bunch and help with advice and information freely whenever needed. There are not many rules. Generally if you avoid the controversial topics of politics, religion and keep it family friendly as we have young members you won’t go wrong. 

Meantime that looks a neat job on your Enterprise. Don’t lose your eyesight on the Phantoms :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

:post1:

Nice to see another “local” joining. There are a few members in your area. I’m originally born, bred and educated in Edinburgh but left for the joys of Borders Country in my late 20’s. Now living down near Earlston. 

You will enjoy if here. The members are a great bunch and help with advice and information freely whenever needed. There are not many rules. Generally if you avoid the controversial topics of politics, religion and keep it family friendly as we have young members you won’t go wrong. 

Meantime that looks a neat job on your Enterprise. Don’t lose your eyesight on the Phantoms :D

Thanks John, I'm actually a born and bred Highlander but I've been living in and around Edinburgh for about 10 years now, I'm pretty pleased with the Enterprise so far, pulling all the masking off the flight deck was really satisfying :D I'm going to try and finish the planes this week but I've been stalling a bit if I'm honest!

Edited by Ravnos

6 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Rav, welcome aboard. Is it just me but your photos aren't visible to me here. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff,

Looks like links from Google photos break after a while, I've shifted them to imgur so they should be fixed now?

• Thanks 1

Welcome from another fellow Scot.

I'm in Perth which in normal times is the home of the Scottish National Scale Model Show. If you've never been to the show I strongly recommend a visit when it returns.

Dave G

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

Welcome from another fellow Scot.

I'm in Perth which in normal times is the home of the Scottish National Scale Model Show. If you've never been to the show I strongly recommend a visit when it returns.

Dave G

Thanks Dave, I havent been but I'd love to when it starts up again. The house move I mentioned in my original post will actually put us just outside Perth if it goes ahead, hoping to hear this week if we've got it and if so will be moving at the beginning of June.

Gidday Rav, and thanks. I can see them now. I particularly like the USS Enterprise, ships (1/600) being my thing. And that red dragon seems to be looking down at 'Lunch'. Regards, Jeff.

Welcome.

Nice to see a varied selection of models - a bit like myself whose genre changes almost as often as the Scottish weather does.

I moved up to Edinburgh (Blackhall) from England in 2008. The following year I moved down to Stow in the Borders for what was supposed to be for a year but I'm still here almost twelve years later.

Dave

3 hours ago, davecov said:

Welcome.

Nice to see a varied selection of models - a bit like myself whose genre changes almost as often as the Scottish weather does.

I moved up to Edinburgh (Blackhall) from England in 2008. The following year I moved down to Stow in the Borders for what was supposed to be for a year but I'm still here almost twelve years later.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I dont like to limit myself to one particular type, I've got more aircraft than anything else in the build queue but its not by design, I just pick up models I like when I see them or if they go well with something I've already got. for example I've got a 1/72 Vulcan that I picked up in a charity shop a while back thats next on my build list (probably after the house move) so when I saw a 1/72 Victor K2 in its refuelling configureation I grabbed it, the intention is to build them as their Black Buck schemes and hang them from the ceiling together in a refueling formation. I'm also toying with the idea of building all the aircraft my grandfather flew during the war, not just the liberator he finished in, so starting with the Tiger Moth and Oxford's he trained in then the Hudson and Liberator he flew in action, I think there might be a wellington in there as well somwhere but still working that out.

I'm also a massive nerd so will probably be doing some scifi kits in the not too distant future.

Edited by Ravnos

32 minutes ago, Ravnos said:

I've got a 1/72 Vulcan that I picked up in a charity shop

Tell me more about this charity shop that sells 1/72 Vulcans 😄

Welcome from sunny East Lothian (an hour ago, it was torrentially rainy and thundery East Lothian so things are looking up). You've managed to build more this year than I have in the last three! Looking forward to seeing what else you produce.

Craig.

• Like 1

Hello mate. I'm not dyslexic but can type at about 35 mistakes per minute. 😉 So I find having a web browser that spell checks on the fly and underlines anything it thinks is a mistake highly valuable. As an alternative, if you write your messages into Word and spell-check them there, then copy and paste from Word to the browser reply pane...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Tell me more about this charity shop that sells 1/72 Vulcans 😄

Welcome from sunny East Lothian (an hour ago, it was torrentially rainy and thundery East Lothian so things are looking up). You've managed to build more this year than I have in the last three! Looking forward to seeing what else you produce.

Craig.

It was the Oxfam on Dalkeith highstreet ;) sadly I've not seen any model kits in it since then. I think we're about 20mins behind you on the weather front here 🤣

• Haha 1

Welcome Rav , from West Yorkshire ! . Do you live anywhere near Barnton Quarry ? , I worked a few weeks down there when it 

was Fighter Command Sector Ops ,Caladonian Sector , in the early 50 s . ( Hush-hush back then ! ) .

Don .

1 hour ago, Don149 said:

Welcome Rav , from West Yorkshire ! . Do you live anywhere near Barnton Quarry ? , I worked a few weeks down there when it 

was Fighter Command Sector Ops ,Caladonian Sector , in the early 50 s . ( Hush-hush back then ! ) .

Don .

Thanks Don :)

I had to look that one up, it's about half an hour from here! Looks like it's being restored and turned into a museum, I'll have to check it out when it opens.

Edited by Ravnos

11 minutes ago, Ravnos said:

I had to look that one up, it's about half an hour from here! Looks like it's being restored and turned into a museum,

So did I! 😃 Well, at least it's not presently described as "secret nuclear bunker" right?

I wonder if they will put a lift in , those corridors going down three floors were pretty steep with only coir matting to stop 

you slipping . Running was forbidden ! .

• Haha 1