Airfix 1/48th Sabre Mk.IV

That's a stunning build of the Airfix new tool Kieth should inspire a lot of folk to track one down and build it too.

That's one beautiful build. I'm most impressed by the paint work and I really do appreciate a clean exterior. 

Very Nice build chap.  Interesting what you say about the fit of AM parts and the gun bay issues. From experience I found that aftermarket resin tend to be too big for the suggested kit(s) and need a fair bit of work to get them to fit at a cost.   So for me personally I would stick with what the kit gives you and attempt to improve  them. In the case of the gun bay I would leave them out and have the bay closed up. Or if one is a masochist, cut the bay away from the opening and re seat it further in but then it would encroach on the cockpit. Catch 22 I think.

Superb Sabre! You knocked it out quick too, I’ve only had mine in the stash a couple of weeks, I’ll be very happy if it looks anywhere near as good as this. 

Is there a spray can for the PRU blue undersides? 

A very sharp Sabre I’d say. Very nice

On the aftermarket I’d add that in my experience and from what I’ve read an awful lot of wheel wells, cockpits etc require the resin walls and kit plastic to be thinned down to almost rice paper thin to have a chance of fitting!! Well paper thin!

• Like 1

Nice work !! , any photos from 'ground level'; as opposed to from high above?

Cheers, Tony

PS question for Duncan, or anyone who has the kit---Do I see a raised panel/vent on the fuselage ahead of the fin  ?????

That is the best Sabre 4 build I have seen in 1/72 or 1/48 scale, in my opinion. Workmanship is museum quality, and the colors and paintwork are outstanding!  My experience with the fit of aftermarket parts into kits is  pretty much the same as the others have said- might be due to the AM parts being to scale, and the wheel bays and cockpits of most injected kits are not, due to molding and ejection from the mold considerations. Aries cockpits and wheel bays are especially frustrating to fit into the kit for which they were designed.  

Mike

• Like 1

The model itself is neat and it's nice to finally see this new kit in built form, but that aside it is a fair question to ask if Academy and Hasegawa Sabres have been made obsolete by this one? 

I think not. 

Josip

11 hours ago, Paul J said:

Very Nice build chap.  Interesting what you say about the fit of AM parts and the gun bay issues. From experience I found that aftermarket resin tend to be too big for the suggested kit(s) and need a fair bit of work to get them to fit at a cost.   So for me personally I would stick with what the kit gives you and attempt to improve  them. In the case of the gun bay I would leave them out and have the bay closed up. Or if one is a masochist, cut the bay away from the opening and re seat it further in but then it would encroach on the cockpit. Catch 22 I think.

Thanks for all your comments everyone, but just to make it clear re my comments about the fit of the aftermarket parts. The seat and instrument panel weren't intended for this kit, it was just I thought they might have at least been close?

11 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Superb Sabre! You knocked it out quick too, I’ve only had mine in the stash a couple of weeks, I’ll be very happy if it looks anywhere near as good as this. 

Is there a spray can for the PRU blue undersides? 

Not as far as I know.  

Fantastic  build.  Was the paint acrylic ?  Aftermarket decals available to finish as a Canadair sabre. Can this be done without modifying the kit ?

28 minutes ago, twinpin said:

Fantastic  build.  Was the paint acrylic ?  Aftermarket decals available to finish as a Canadair sabre. Can this be done without modifying the kit ?

Out of the box, it is a Canadair Sabre Mk4/F-86E(M)  With a couple panel line changes it could pass for a Canadair Sabre Mk5(or very early Mk6).

cheers, Tony

Edited by Tony Edmundson
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, twinpin said:

Where does the info from Duncan appear?

Here. And the next post.

Edited by keithjs