453rd Museum Build - Tamiya 1/48 P-51 Shangri La

Hi all,

Quite an enjoyable build for the 453rd Bombardment Group Museum based at Old Buckenham that has been organised by our very own @CedB along with a few other culprits who are building the collection.

A famous bird that unfortunately met its demise in an accident, but fortunately without taking the life of it's driver Don Gentile who was soon to be returning to the US albeit perhaps with a little embarrassment as the accident happened in front of the press.

@Tcoat is doing the same aircraft for the museum display in it's fateful state after the accident, you can see the build below

453rd Museum build No.1.5 - Tamiya 1/48 P-51B -BROKEN Shangri-La - Work in Progress - Aircraft - Britmodeller.com

The build for this one is here..

453rd Museum build No.1 - Tamiya 1/48 P-51B - Shangri-La - Work in Progress - Aircraft - Britmodeller.com

Mainly out of the box except for the Eduard etch set and a touch of scratch building on the canopy frames painted in Tamiya XF-62 olive drab and MRP neutral grey. The weathering is mainly oils, I've tried to replicate the real aircraft as much as my skills allow. 

spacer.png   spacer.png  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking :)

Neil

• Like 60

I really like the detail and the appropriate weathering. The B model is a beautiful airplane.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tcoat said:

It was sort of fun working in conjunction. Felt like I was building a model of a model. 

lol! it was fun, I think I had the easier end of the deal! 

Thanks for the comments guys :)

One of my favourite kits! You've more than done her justice Neil, that is one of the best builds I have seen, the paint job and weathering have perfectly captured how it looks in the photographs of the original.  The museum are going to be very pleased to have it on display, I'm sure.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

With apologies for the delay in replying, great model Woody!

She's a beauty and will be a great addition to the collection. Stunner!

4 hours ago, CedB said:

With apologies for the delay in replying, great model Woody!

Me too!  How on earth did I miss this beauty when you originally posted?

Typically great finishing Neil.