Hasegawa 1/24 Nissan Bluebird Rally

So this is the next kit on the bench and although it looks like a fairly simple build I'm hoping it will look good when finished. 

spacer.png

Today I've managed to clean up the shell though to be fair there was actually very little work required. Next up a few coats of grey primer which was lightly sanded down once almost dry. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up the red basecoat and for this i used Mr Color Red thinned 50/50 with levelling thinner. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I can now leave the shell alone for a while to give the paint time to dry properly before adding the matt black to the bonnet and various other details. Work will keep me away from the bench for a week or so but I'm happy with the progress so far. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

A real nice red paint job 😍

Marco F 

Thanks Marco I appreciate your comment 👍 

I'm looking forward to this build  , too Andy . I love Safari Rally cars ( I may have mentioned this before .... ) . It's the Africa specific details , like the Matt black bonnet probably to stop sun shining into the drivers eyes . Great start . 

Gary. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Windy37 said:

It's the Africa specific details , like the Matt black bonnet

Many club rally cars back then had matt black bonnets Gary - couple of mine did and they certainly didn't see any African sun. Just a lot of Welsh rain! I've always wondered if it was a fashion copied from aircraft anti-glare panels, as you say they'd be useful in Africa, on most over here they were just to look cool - they certainly weren't much use on night road rallies....!! 🤣

Keith

• Like 2

That's a really quick start, and a very good finish stright off the bat. This is another of those kits which always catch my eye and requires me to look away before I drop more money on another stash resident, so I will be interested ot see how it ends up.

However, much as I hate to ask this, but it looks from the 3rd photo from the bottom as though the paint on the bonnet may be starting to crack. Is this (hopefully) just an optical illusion from the camera?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spiny said:

That's a really quick start, and a very good finish stright off the bat. This is another of those kits which always catch my eye and requires me to look away before I drop more money on another stash resident, so I will be interested ot see how it ends up.

However, much as I hate to ask this, but it looks from the 3rd photo from the bottom as though the paint on the bonnet may be starting to crack. Is this (hopefully) just an optical illusion from the camera?

Hi Spiny what you can see is a reflection of the inside of the top of my spray booth the paint on the bonnet is sound mate 👍 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Windy37 said:

I'm looking forward to this build  , too Andy . I love Safari Rally cars ( I may have mentioned this before .... ) . It's the Africa specific details , like the Matt black bonnet probably to stop sun shining into the drivers eyes . Great start . 

Gary. 

Cheers Gary I think it's an interesting subject and I don't remember seeing one built before that's what attracted me to the kit 🙂👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Lovely start Andy, looking really good already!

K

Thanks Keith I'm happy with progress so far 🙂👍

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Many club rally cars back then had matt black bonnets Gary - couple of mine did and they certainly didn't see any African sun. Just a lot of Welsh rain! I've always wondered if it was a fashion copied from aircraft anti-glare panels, as you say they'd be useful in Africa, on most over here they were just to look cool - they certainly weren't much use on night road rallies....!! 🤣

Keith

So you were a bit of a poser back in the day then Keith i bet you had the furry dice hanging off your rear view mirror as well 🤣🤣👍

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Andy J said:

So you were a bit of a poser back in the day then Keith i bet you had the furry dice hanging off your rear view mirror as well 🤣🤣👍

Nah, left those for people with Cortinas....!! :tease:

K

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Nice project. I need to follow this.

Thanks there are a couple of interesting parts of the build for me to tackle including the chrome window strips around the side windows. I think I may try bare metal foil for the first time a bit of an experiment for me but should look ok hopefully 🙂👍

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Nah, left those for people with Cortinas....!! :tease:

K

No furry dice for me Keith but a matt black bonnet would have looked nice i reckon 😉👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andy J said:

Thanks there are a couple of interesting parts of the build for me to tackle including the chrome window strips around the side windows. I think I may try bare metal foil for the first time a bit of an experiment for me but should look ok hopefully 🙂👍

It'll work - I can also recommend Molotow Chrome markers, the thick one.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Andy J said:

Hi Spiny what you can see is a reflection of the inside of the top of my spray booth the paint on the bonnet is sound mate 👍 

I guess that's a testament to the quality of the finish there 😆 Shame you're going to cover it up now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Nice paint! Looking forward to this more unusual subject coming together :)

Thanks unfortunately due to work commitments I can't get to the bench until the weekend but hopefully then I can make up for lost time 🙂👍

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Thanks unfortunately due to work commitments I can't get to the bench until the weekend but hopefully then I can make up for lost time 🙂👍

It'll be finished by Sunday then...!! :)

K

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

It'll be finished by Sunday then...!! :)

K

No chance.....possibly Monday 😉👍

• Haha 1

The instructions would have you install fender flares to the front wheel arches - DON'T !

The real car didn't have them, just look at the box top photo you posted above.

<< EDIT >>

From further photos, it seems that the car was fitted with them sometime during the course of the event - BUT - they should be body colour, not black as per kit instructions !

Edited by Scott Garard
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Scott Garard said:

The instructions would have you install fender flares to the front wheel arches - DON'T !

The real car didn't have them, just look at the box top photo you posted above.

<< EDIT >>

From further photos, it seems that the car was fitted with them sometime during the course of the event - BUT - they should be body colour, not black as per kit instructions !

Hi Scott the fender flares will be added in body colour once the side decals are in place. Originally I wasn't going to fit them however research shows that they were indeed fitted for the majority of the rally so they will need to be in place to make the car authentic. Thanks for the comment much appreciated 👍 

41 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Originally I wasn't going to fit them however research shows that they were indeed fitted for the majority of the rally so they will need to be in place to make the car authentic.

I still wouldn't fit them - for at least the stage shown on the boxtop they didn't have them. But it's a really odd thing to fit and then remove during the course of an event, especially a Safari rally back then as it was pretty full on with real pressure on the service crews to just keep the cars running. Are you sure the pics are all from the same year's rally Andy?

K

PS - I guess they might have fallen/been knocked off late in the rally...!! :)

• Like 1