Tiger moth help please

Bbdave

I have an Airfix kit my father started i vaguely remember him telling me he had found a version maybe Australian that didn't show the riblets. He has filled these on the kit wings and sanded smooth.

Unfortunately dad died suddenly in March. I would like to finish the kit but have no idea which he was building he read so much, all sorts of obsolete aircraft info and normally put research material in his kits but nothing in this one.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Dave

Dave,

As Dave, (Admiral Puff), said, Australian built Tiger Moths had plywood on  the leading edges of both upper and lowere wings. Note that this did not extend on to the curved sections at the wing tips, (outboard of the slats on the upper wing). The photo below shows the Plywood LE on the upper wing.

ccd26719-9752-42bd-84d0-727deb4d4f5a.jpg

If you are planning on finishing your model as an RAAF aircraft there are three basic camouflage schemes:

• Overall aluminium dope
  • Camouflaged with yellow bands
  • Overall yellow

Civilian post-war aircraft came in a wide range of colour schemes.

If you can narrow down your preferred finish, I should be able to help with some relevant photos. There are/were some decal sheets covering RAAF Tigers. You would probably be on your own if contemplating a civvy A/C.

Peter Malone

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/05/2021 at 05:51, Magpie22 said:

Dave,

As Dave, (Admiral Puff), said, Australian built Tiger Moths had plywood on  the leading edges of both upper and lowere wings. Note that this did not extend on to the curved sections at the wing tips, (outboard of the slats on the upper wing). The photo below shows the Plywood LE on the upper wing.

ccd26719-9752-42bd-84d0-727deb4d4f5a.jpg

If you are planning on finishing your model as an RAAF aircraft there are three basic camouflage schemes:

• Overall aluminium dope
  • Camouflaged with yellow bands
  • Overall yellow

Civilian post-war aircraft came in a wide range of colour schemes.

If you can narrow down your preferred finish, I should be able to help with some relevant photos. There are/were some decal sheets covering RAAF Tigers. You would probably be on your own if contemplating a civvy A/C.

Peter Malone

Thank you that helps I'll probably go for the camo with yellow I'll try to track some decals down.

Dave