GOTCHA! A-4E Crash Lands on a Carrier Deck

Excellent job! A really dynamic diorama. Good solution for the canopy problem to depict the immediate aftermath as well.

Alan

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Superb, dramatic diorama!

Just a thought – if Lt Earl's legs were shattered by AA fire – where's the shrapnel (?) damage to the cockpit area?

Amazing work.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you!  I believe that Lt. Earl was probably hit by a 23mm or 37mm gun.  Looking at the actual photos, you can't see any obvious damage.  My suspicion is the round may have exploded or entered underneath the aircraft at an oblique angle exploding beneath the cockpit.  (I used two holes in place for the TER rack and coated with Tamiya smoke).  So any damage came up under the cockpit floor near the rudder pedals.  In an interview he said the pain was so great, he was flying the plane with one hand and banging on the canopy with his other hand.  Interesting the shrapnel didn't blow the front tire.  

Edited by CMSCHLOM
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hook said:

You would never know your struggles considering the superb end result!

How did you create the crash barrier?

Cheers,

Andre

The barrier was made with cotton twine, about the scale thickens for the main cables which I believe were made from rope or canvas.  I also carefully trimmed medical tape, which came in the correct color, and has a texture similar to canvas.   Then tapped the strips back to back.  Here was my template of another barrier landing:

Crash-barrier-02

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Superb, dramatic diorama!

Just a thought – if Lt Earl's legs were shattered by AA fire – where's the shrapnel (?) damage to the cockpit area?

Amazing work.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Used 1:32 Late Cold War U.S.-NATO pilot, PJ Production resin pilot figure, for LT JG Earl 

51168787156_e6cace97b5_z.jpg

Great diorama, and a well built model.

I am doing this kit at the moment, using Aires cockpit and wheel wells. So far they fit perfectly with no adjustments, but I have heard bad things about the wing wells.

I plan to join the fuselage ends first  and a trial fit has shown the joint to be pretty near perfect, but it will need strengthening inside.

My only issue so far is that the plastic is hard and doesn't take well to Tamiya extra thin cement. Which glue did you use?

Thanks

Andy 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CMSCHLOM said:

Used 1:32 Late Cold War U.S.-NATO pilot, PJ Production resin pilot figure, for LT JG Earl 

51168787156_e6cace97b5_z.jpg

What I meant is – where on the outside of the cockpit area is the damage where the shrapnel entered through the aluminium skin? 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Great diorama, and a well built model.

I am doing this kit at the moment, using Aires cockpit and wheel wells. So far they fit perfectly with no adjustments, but I have heard bad things about the wing wells.

I plan to join the fuselage ends first  and a trial fit has shown the joint to be pretty near perfect, but it will need strengthening inside.

My only issue so far is that the plastic is hard and doesn't take well to Tamiya extra thin cement. Which glue did you use?

Thanks

Andy 

Andy, glad yours is going well.  At first I thought the rear and forward fuselages fit up too, but then they didn't.  I would advise leaving the inner bulkhead supports off so you can squeeze the plastic to fit more precisely.  I left mine off and used Tamiya extra thin glue that gave perfect strength.  BUT, I would advise using soap and water to clean the plastic, their is a slight coat of release agent on the plastic that is hard to see.  Hope to see yours soon!  Oh, the wheel wheels are very detailed so no worries.  Put the guns in last AFTER you paint the wheel wells.  Don't forget to paint the small tie down hooks yellow.  

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

What I meant is – where on the outside of the cockpit area is the damage where the shrapnel entered through the aluminium skin? 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

Unfortunately, You can see no damage from the outside of the aircraft using the original photos.  My suspicion is the shell entered beneath the aircraft.  Or it could have hit the left side of the aircraft which can't be seen.  A little artistic licence!

Thanks Joachim!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CMSCHLOM said:

Andy, glad yours is going well.  At first I thought the rear and forward fuselages fit up too, but then they didn't.  I would advise leaving the inner bulkhead supports off so you can squeeze the plastic to fit more precisely.  I left mine off and used Tamiya extra thin glue that gave perfect strength.  BUT, I would advise using soap and water to clean the plastic, their is a slight coat of release agent on the plastic that is hard to see.  Hope to see yours soon!  Oh, the wheel wheels are very detailed so no worries.  Put the guns in last AFTER you paint the wheel wells.  Don't forget to paint the small tie down hooks yellow.  

Thanks for the tips, My fuselage ends have joined up perfectly, but i intend to use plastic card instead of the bulkheads to support the joint, after your tip-off. I will be using the resin main wheel wells from Aires!

Thanks too for the other tips

cheers

Andy

• Like 1