Which aircraft carrier kits have F-4 Phantoms ?

Hi,

I'm looking to build an aircraft carrier with F-4 Phantoms and was wondering what my options were in 1/700ish ?

Preferrably British but can be US

Any help would be much appreciated

Simon

Gidday, many years ago (1973 I think) I saw a feature film at the movies about day-to-day life on a modern RN carrier. I recall they were launching Phantoms, and I can recall them raising the nose just before launch. While I don't know which carrier the dates might help you identify which one. Not much help more than that I'm afraid. Regards, Jeff.

Simon,

The only British carrier to operate F.4 Phantoms was Ark Royal (R09) decommissioned in 1978. So that definitely limits your options.

Any US carrier in the 60' to mid 80's operated Phantoms (maybe not earlier classes still in service).

Tom

The Trumpeter Nimitz in 1/700 comes with F-4Js (only four though!). Unfortunately most 1/700 carriers are WW2 due to their popularity, or modern (late 70s onwards), because Tomcats 😒

The old 1/570 Revell kits had Phantoms but they're products of their time unfortunately. The Academy 1/600 Enterprise also has some F-4s but they're not well represented.

1 hour ago, Modelholic said:

Simon,

The only British carrier to operate F.4 Phantoms was Ark Royal (R09) decommissioned in 1978. So that definitely limits your options.

Any US carrier in the 60' to mid 80's operated Phantoms (maybe not earlier classes still in service).

Tom

The Phantom trials in 1969 were carried out on HMS Eagle. Catapult launches were from the waist catapult only. Some film here.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/rare-footage-found-royal-navy-phantoms-practicing-aboard-aircraft-carrier-hms-eagle-67162

• Thanks 1

The only 1/700 kit of the Ark Royal in the correct configuration is currently unavailable (https://starling-models.co.uk/products/hms-ark-royal-1978).

https://starling-models.co.uk/collections/starling-models/products/f-4k-phantom

Trumpeter produced a set of 1/700 F-4J (reference 03423) which, at this scale, are almost indistinguishable from the RN Phantom FG.1 (apart from the RWR on the tailfin fitted partway through the FG.1's RN service); however, this dates from 2006, and is difficult to find!

6 hours ago, Modelholic said:

The Essex class carriers were unable to accomodate Phantoms, employing the last F-8 squadrons during the Vietnam War. 

USS Lexington was the last one used and served until 1991.

Cheers,

Andre

Yep, only trials on Eagle never operational. They had to put a big sheet of metal on the deck and cool it between launches with hoses.

Never realised how big a Phantom was until I visited the RAF museum, Hendon several years ago.

Tom

Imperial Hobby Productions are working on the 1/700 CVA-01 RN aircraft carrier that was intended to replace Eagle & Ark Royal, this kit will come with Phantoms and Buccaneers, however its unlikely to appear before the end of the year and may be 2022 release.

The Trumpeter Nimitz and Eisenhower both have late 70s boxings with F=-4 Phantoms onboard, Trumpeter have recently released the Constellation, Kitty Hawk and JFK in  both whilst entering service with Phantoms, these kits all depict the later era of the ships with Super Hornets or Tomcats.

Dragon were n the verge of releasing a  1/700 USS Enterprise in her 60's fit with Phantoms and other period aircraft, but this kit never appeared and appears to have been adapted to create a diecast ready made toy instead.

The Atlantic Models 1/700  Resin & Etch kit of HMS Ark Royal is the only kit of the 70s Ark Royal with Phantoms but if you register interest with Mike at Starling Models you should get notified if the kit gets restocked (The Fujimi 1/700 Injection moulded kits of Eagle and Ark Royal are old kits of both ships in their 50's configuration before both Carriers were rebuilt in the 60s and would take a lot of work to convert to a Phantom capable carrier, Other kits of the Ark Royal are either the WW2 carrier or the 80s Invincible class kits for Swordfish and Sea Harrier respectively.

On 5/9/2021 at 12:18 PM, Chris Hewitt said:

Here is my 1/700 Ark royal from Starling models,with a visiting US phantom.The other two you will have to guess.

TpJqThg.jpg

Hi Chris,

Is that a What If updated Malta Class trying to hide at the back?

Even if Im wrong that some great scratchbuilding skills on display 👍

Ant

• Like 1

On 10/05/2021 at 12:47, AntPhillips said:

Hi Chris,

Is that a What If updated Malta Class trying to hide at the back?

Even if Im wrong that some great scratchbuilding skills on display 👍

Ant

Spot on, Malta comes from IHP .no longer going resin kits ,they have moved to plastic ,anyway here is an up date on the bridge .My Malta survived up to the 1990's.I busy with something else ,being a what-if I take my time ,so I can get it right.

5xK1ojT.jpg?1