FAA builds, 32nd Hawker Nimrod ,Seafire now finished, Malta Sea Gladiator now underway.

Lovely progress on these builds. The canning is really effective, and I'd always wondered what the best method would be for filling those 'box strut' kits. A really clever solution.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

The oil canning looks great! Not overdone. Perfect - I can just see someone mis-stepping when getting up to fill the fuel tank.

It’s funny (peculiar, not haha) that they have reverted to  connected struts in  the 1/48 kit.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, I managed to look at some photos and tried to recreat it as best as I could, it looked like the panel had really suffered the missed placed feet a lot!!!

I can see why they have , to appeal to the modellers who are shy of biplanes and they give a very positive upper wing location, the only trouble is they are not flush with the wing.  I will have to check out the fuselage struts to see how they look too.

3 hours ago, mark.au said:

Coming along Chris, looking like a an aeroplane now.  The canning looks spot on too.  

Thanks Mark I am pleased with how it turned out , I sat there looking at the photos and marking the dents with a pencil. The fuselage and empenage goes together very quickly too.

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

Both cockpits are looking superb Chris, and some exciting news on the new builds!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, pleased with the cockpits , they did turn  out well, I bought another 32nd Tiggie too as they are on offer at Jadkam Racing Models at under 25 quid, wow!!! I was having a look through the stash and have moved another couple up to near the top too, a 32nd Nimrod and a 48th DH89 Dragon Rapide/Dominie two other lovely FAA aircraft, hmmm.   

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

a 32nd Nimrod and a 48th DH89 Dragon Rapide/Dominie two other lovely FAA aircraft, hmmm.

Oooh - some nice niche builds there to look forward to!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Dunny said:

Oooh - some nice niche builds there to look forward to!

Thanks Roger, looking forward to getting to those. Love the look of the Nimrod and the DH89 is such a gorgeous aircraft. 

Out in the garage this weekend clearing a VW Polo sized space for my son's first car, we are going to work on it together to get ready for when he is 17 and starts driving, OMG I feel old now🙄 

Chris

• Like 1

Just now, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Roger, looking forward to getting to those. Love the look of the Nimrod and the DH89 is such a gorgeous aircraft. 

Out in the garage this weekend clearing a VW Polo sized space for my son's first car, we are going to work on it together to get ready for when he is 17 and starts driving, OMG I feel old now🙄 

Chris

Nice (the car, that is, not the feeling old!). My eldest daughter is only 13 just now, so it'll be a couple of years before we start that malarkey (driving age is 16 here)

• Like 1

Just now, Dunny said:

Nice (the car, that is, not the feeling old!). My eldest daughter is only 13 just now, so it'll be a couple of years before we start that malarkey (driving age is 16 here)

Wow 16!!! Ahh yes you still have some time!!!

My son is 16 and is 17 in October , didn't want a newer car wanted an old VW Polo  so got a nice Mk2 one, we will go though it and repair and replace etc , although he might have to pize it from my grip when the time comes!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

That canning is superb, young man.

See what I did there. 

I take it the Nimrod is the Hawker variant or have you moved to a hangar. :lol:

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  pleased with how the canning turned out, definitely the Hawker one, I think I would have pushed SWMBO over the edge🤪 with a BAE one!!!

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ngantek said:

Lovely progress on these builds. The canning is really effective, and I'd always wondered what the best method would be for filling those 'box strut' kits. A really clever solution.

I am so sorry   I missed this one Ngantek  I think it was because it was the start of a new page.  

Thank you very much,  pleased withctge canning and I saw the same method of sorting the struts in a magazine and it stuck in my mind. Very handy solution to getting the wingcsmoothed before any sticky out bits are added.

Thanks

Chris

• Like 1

Hi all 

Some minor progress on the Tigermoth.   Control horns cut off the rudder and added to the area directly under the first cockpit entrance on each side. I cut a slot in the rudder and added new control horns which are longer due to the anti spin strakes other wise the cable run would not be straight. 

spacer.png

Wing strut areas smoothed out, Airfix have done the same with the tops of the fuselage struts, but the good news there is that this is actually prototypical,  bonus

spacer.png

Some PE on the underside, I have modified the bit in the middle and just have to add sides to the vent, stoll quite a lot to do under there yet

spacer.png

Thanks for looking 

Chris

• Like 9

Steady progress Chris.  

When do you think you’ll start your Swordfish?  I have one in the queue, it might be a lark to do our own mini group build?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mark.au said:

Steady progress Chris.  

When do you think you’ll start your Swordfish?  I have one in the queue, it might be a lark to do our own mini group build?

Thanks Mark, I was going to do the Walrus next, but I could bump the Swordfish up , only thing is I am a bit slow at building these, so would be holding you up, the Sea Venom is a GB and I have failed miserably as no where near finished by the deadline!!! I also want to add some bits and bobs to the Swordfish as it's a 32nd scale one too.

I have knocked all other GBs on the head this year as I am so bad at finishing apart from the racing plane one!!!

5 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

These are coming along great Chris - the wrinkling/oil canning on the Tigermoth is incredibly convincing.

Thanks Cookie, I am pleased with how that turned out, hope the rest of it goes well now!!!

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Mark, I was going to do the Walrus next, but I could bump the Swordfish up , only thing is I am a bit slow at building these, so would be holding you up

Do the Walrus, I’m not planning the Swordfish for next anyway.  There’s a strong chance next for me is a ship!  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Looking good - I'd be up for another Stringbag too @mark.au!

Cheers,

Roger

…a plan begins to take shape.. :)

I’m aiming to finish mine late October/ early November in time for an important Swordfish anniversary.  Plenty of time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Do the Walrus, I’m not planning the Swordfish for next anyway.  There’s a strong chance next for me is a ship!  

Oooooo a ship, sounds interesting 🤔.   

2 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Looking good - I'd be up for another Stringbag too @mark.au!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, now you too are fairly well matched in building speed, much quicker than me !!!

Just now, mark.au said:

…a plan begins to take shape.. :)

I’m aiming to finish mine late October/ early November in time for an important Swordfish anniversary.  Plenty of time.

Yes I would definitely fail in that finish date, you and Roger should easily accomplish  though.

Chris

• Like 3

Impressive modelling Chris !!

Congratulations !!

Shagbat Huh, I'll finish mine, I received the PE set for the second one...

Let's go crazy !!

CC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Impressive modelling Chris !!

Congratulations !!

Shagbat Huh, I'll finish mine, I received the PE set for the second one...

Let's go crazy !!

CC

Thanks CC   pleased with them both, I will start the wiring on the Sea Venom tomorrow and have started painting the Tiggie now too.

The Tiggie kit is wonderful and can thoroughly recommended it if you've not got one already.

Thanks 

Chris

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks CC   pleased with them both, I will start the wiring on the Sea Venom tomorrow and have started painting the Tiggie now too.

The Tiggie kit is wonderful and can thoroughly recommended it if you've not got one already.

Thanks 

Chris

Huh, errrr, how can I say it......🥺🥺

I have that new Airfix kit and the old Smer one......

It smell like another multibuild.....

But finishing my Furies first....

And the 2 Steam pigeons......

And.....

And.....

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

CC

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Huh, errrr, how can I say it......🥺🥺

I have that new Airfix kit and the old Smer one......

It smell like another multibuild.....

But finishing my Furies first....

And the 2 Steam pigeons......

And.....

And.....

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

CC

Crikey yes you do have a lot on the go CC 😉

I have a few of the Airfix ones left, another 32nd Tiggie too, but I want to get the one finished first. I had better get that pesky Sea Venom finished too

Good luck with your builds CC.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey yes you do have a lot on the go CC 😉

I have a few of the Airfix ones left, another 32nd Tiggie too, but I want to get the one finished first. I had better get that pesky Sea Venom finished too

Good luck with your builds CC.

Chris

You too my friend...

In matter of Sea Venom, I wait for a good 1/48 one !!

Who knows !!

Shar will enter the paint booth !!

CC

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks CC, a 48th Sea Venom , that would please a lot of modellers!!!

You can say that again!

The Tiger Moth is coming along beautifully Chris, she's going to look grand when done. Can you remind me what colours and finish you have planned for her?

Terry

• Thanks 1

Thanks Terry, pleased with how it's coming on.  This will be a Aluminium dope and yellow bands one, have 3 more in the stash so will be doing a couple of civilian ones and another military  one hopefully. 

Thanks

Chris

• Like 2