FAA builds, 32nd Hawker Nimrod ,Seafires, Beaufighter now finished

27 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

fortunately the Domestic Authorities were not in so duely snuck into the stash for me to go  I've had that one for ages!!!

Well played. :wicked:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 3

Upper wing on , wahoo!!! Glued on and invisible thread rigging, Airfix got the centre struts right with the section joining the strut tops and this looks quite accurate , mine is seen here in interior green as per photos I have seen. I have added a balance pipe between tge frint and rear sections of the fuel tank

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well chuffed now will start the main rigging and add the struts etc.

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 11

On 7/11/2022 at 8:35 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Mark I have got an Airfix Swordfish that o can do as a Taranto Raider it is Bomber version , it looks a nice kit, I will start that one on here soon  I was going to do the 32nd scale Trumpeter kit in the stash, I still might when I get one of the others out of the way .

Now you’re talking Chris!  :)

I can’t wait to see what you would do with a 32nd Swordfish.  In the mean time, a 72nd scale in your hands will give us something to aim at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic work Chris, that washing under the fuel tank really stands out now it's in place. Nice that it's so well built around the fuselage struts that you can install the wing that way. I sometimes ask myself, what with the number of times I find myself thinking 'just these annoying bits to do first', what it is that's actually fun about this hobby! I think moments like this where a single thing suddenly rewards a large body of hard work that came before, is probably a large part of it. 

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

I can’t wait to see what you would do with a 32nd Swordfish.  In the mean time, a 72nd scale in your hands will give us something to aim at.

Seconded! I'd love to see this build. I've been holding out, hoping to find one of the earlier boxings with the black underside Taranto markings (I've seen a fair few, but failed to act!).

Cheers,

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

Thanks Mark, that's really kind of you fella.   I will start tge 72nd one soon, I have some ideas forming re the 32nd scale kit as a Training aircraft with some serious paint chipping. Watch this space.

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

The detail work in that last update looks perfectly judged in visual terms Chris. Work to be proud of.

Thanks Tony, very kind as always.

9 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Fantastic work Chris, that washing under the fuel tank really stands out now it's in place. Nice that it's so well built around the fuselage struts that you can install the wing that way. I sometimes ask myself, what with the number of times I find myself thinking 'just these annoying bits to do first', what it is that's actually fun about this hobby! I think moments like this where a single thing suddenly rewards a large body of hard work that came before, is probably a large part of it. 

Seconded! I'd love to see this build. I've been holding out, hoping to find one of the earlier boxings with the black underside Taranto markings (I've seen a fair few, but failed to act!).

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks Andy, the weathering re the dirt and residue under the tank has worked out well and pleased with that.  It is a lovely kit and generally I find with aircraft that have joined fuselage struts go together well , I previously built a DH60 Cirrus Moth and a Boeing Stearman  and was able to do both in the same way. It really is a great Mojo boosting moment to get the upper wing on .

I hope I can do both Swordfish justice. 

Thanks guys 

Chris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

There is some wonderful work going on there.

Nicely done.

Looking forward to updates.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair, rigging and struttery later tonight hopefully. 

Thanks

Chris

• Like 1

Hi all

A bit of progress, UC going on the Sea Venom 

spacer.png

My new CA turned today so was able to start fixing the main rigging using Prym Knitting in elastic , resin replacement wheels look wonderful and fit like a dream

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

For @mark.au, just to confirm the bits have been cut away  from the Sprues  the Airfix 1/72 Swordfish with Marabu PE set.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

More rigging!!!

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 15

Chris,

That rigging has really bought the Tiggie to life - looks wonderful! Good to see a start on the Stringbag too,

Cheers,

Roger 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mark.au said:

I like everything in that post! :)

Thanks Mark, I will do the box art option  for this one, as I have something else planned for the 32nd scale kit. 

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Me too!

Tiggie is looking wonderful Chris!

Keith

Thanks Keith, pleased with the Tiggie now  I had to get some new CA as the rigging would not bond to yhe Gorrilla Glue CA very well.

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

That rigging has really bought the Tiggie to life - looks wonderful! Good to see a start on the Stringbag too,

Cheers,

Roger 

Thanks Roger, I have gone back to Expo CA glue and the rigging went very quickly to that point, for some reason it did not the old CA, I know you had a similar issue.  Tiggieooks good o  the wheels and I love looking at the rigging, like you say it brings it to life.

Will make a start on the Swordfish soon

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 3

The Airfix kit builds up into a lovely model but there are a lot of tricky bits . I built one a while ago.

I botched the interior a bit but I got the rigging right. If I were building it again I’d probably build it differently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That Tiger Moth is looking great Chris, well done on the rigging. After following yours and Johnny's builds I'm definitely going to procure one. De Havilland do make beautiful aircraft, and you're doing them more than justice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AliGauld said:

What's not too like.

Everything looks splendid.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair   very pleased to be able to crack on with the Tiggie and get the rigging done now the good glue is here and getting the UC legs on the Sea Venom is a great step, now I can add the greeblies on the underside .

5 hours ago, Marklo said:

The Airfix kit builds up into a lovely model but there are a lot of tricky bits . I built one a while ago.

I botched the interior a bit but I got the rigging right. If I were building it again I’d probably build it differently.

Thanks Mark, I remember your Swordfish build and loved the scheme you chose, I will go slow and steady on the interior, well that is my pace anyway 🙄😄

5 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

That Tiger Moth is looking great Chris, well done on the rigging. After following yours and Johnny's builds I'm definitely going to procure one. De Havilland do make beautiful aircraft, and you're doing them more than justice!

Thanks Mike, very pleased with them all at the moment.  The Tiggie is a lovely kit and can definitely recommend it, you will really enjoy it.

Yes De Havilland made wonderful Aircraft.

Got a few more Tigermoths in the stash too!

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Very nice progress on all fronts Chris.

That Marabu stuff looks very tasty - I do admire the quality of their etch.

Thanks Tony,  pleased with all and tge Tiggie now has struts and rigging nearly completed. 

The Marabu etch is lovely and is exceedingly thin , I used their set on my 72nd Airspeed Oxford and it was great stuff so couldn't resist this when I saw it.

Chris

• Like 2

Hi all

More progress, main rigging now complete and struts added, I have cut off the pitot and used the Eduard PE replacement, but modified it a bit to suit the aircraft I am modelling . Will let this dry and sort out two remaining long ends and make good ready for paint tomorrow. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Chris

• Like 12

2 hours ago, mark.au said:

Most of us likely have a little reluctance in showing our stuff in macro, I know I do.

You don't need to.

What he said! Impressive work Chris...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1