FAA builds, 32nd Hawker Nimrod ,Seafires, Beaufighter now finished

21 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Chris that is yet another stunner.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  very kind fella, I am chuffed with this. 

17 minutes ago, RichieW said:

Another stunner Chris, so much to like about this. Beautiful tonal variations in the camo scheme, subtle and very believable weathering, perfectly painted canopy and the icing on the cake is that the decals look painted on. I think I've enjoyed seeing this come together almost as much as you have clearly enjoyed building it. Very high class mate!

Richie

Thanks Richie, apart from a Mojo loss early on in the build it's been good. Some of the decals cracked but settled quite well. 

Thanks for your kind comments and glad you enjoyed it too.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1

impressive Chris,

that's a very good Firefly....

Lucy Quipment is also my choice !!

Sea Gladiator and Corsair !! What's not to love !!🤩🤩

CC

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

impressive Chris,

that's a very good Firefly....

Lucy Quipment is also my choice !!

Sea Gladiator and Corsair !! What's not to love !!🤩🤩

CC

Thanks CC, yes it was the best scheme in the kit.  I have quite a few Gladiators to do, the first one being a Malta Sea Gladiator,  with two others being the same machine at different time periods. That's the plan anyway and you know about the Corsair already .

46 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Your work is really taking things to the next level Chris - superb craftsmanship on display in all respects here. Chapeau doffed.

Thanks Tony, very kind fella, really enjoying yhese builds now, just gotcto finish the Flycatcher and Anson , but I can't  resist starting another couple  too.  

Thanks guys for your kind comments 

Chris

• Like 1

A BIG catch up here, this thread had left me behind but I've been promising myself to catch up & now I have, keeping up with it will be the challenge now. :) 

Wow, Chris, some superb modelling on display, the Mystery Ship I've already commented on in the RFI but happy to say again, it is a stunner. & then the Firefly, one of my early models was the Airfix Mk V kit, later converted to a Mk I with a long nose, I didn't realise back then that they were shorter in the engine bay, William Green' "Warplanes of World War Two" Vol 2 was my only reference back then. The Mk I has long been a favourite & I just love yours. Superb mate. 👍

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Chris,

That's a lovely finish mate - lovely subtle weathering too! The thread that keeps on giving,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

A BIG catch up here, this thread had left me behind but I've been promising myself to catch up & now I have, keeping up with it will be the challenge now. :) 

Wow, Chris, some superb modelling on display, the Mystery Ship I've already commented on in the RFI but happy to say again, it is a stunner. & then the Firefly, one of my early models was the Airfix Mk V kit, later converted to a Mk I with a long nose, I didn't realise back then that they were shorter in the engine bay, William Green' "Warplanes of World War Two" Vol 2 was my only reference back then. The Mk I has long been a favourite & I just love yours. Superb mate. 👍

Steve.

Thanks Steve, it's very kind of you, the Mk1 is a favourite of mine too, they look such an awesome machine with the gaping mouth radiator intake, the conversion you did sounds ambitious and I know what you mean, when I think of some if my early models, I sometimes cringe at what I did, but it was a learning process I suppose and all very useful experience. 

Got a Mk.V to do in 48th and in 72nd scale a TT and am converting a Mk.V to a T5, but there's not a lot in the way of reference that I can find, I think I have enough to get through though and think I will pick that back up and get  back on with that too.

53 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

That's a lovely finish mate - lovely subtle weathering too! The thread that keeps on giving,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks  Roger, very kind of you too fella, it's always a gamble to know how far to take the weathering, I may have gone a bit far with the paint chipping. 

Thanks for staying with the thread and have lots more FAA models to do.

Thanks  Guys

Chris

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Pleased with the way this has turned out.

Pleased? If that were mine I'd be over the moon - it's an absolutely magnificent model Chris, paintwork is just superb! Wish I could airbrush half that smoothly! 

Simply stunning Firefly!

Keith

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Pleased? If that were mine I'd be over the moon - it's an absolutely magnificent model Chris, paintwork is just superb! Wish I could airbrush half that smoothly! 

Simply stunning Firefly!

Keith

Wow, thanks Keith,really kind fella. I will try and get some photos for an RFI today .  

Thanks again Keith

Chris

On 7/20/2021 at 10:59 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks CC, yes it was the best scheme in the kit.  I have quite a few Gladiators to do, the first one being a Malta Sea Gladiator,  with two others being the same machine at different time periods. That's the plan anyway and you know about the Corsair already .

Thanks Tony, very kind fella, really enjoying yhese builds now, just gotcto finish the Flycatcher and Anson , but I can't  resist starting another couple  too.  

Thanks guys for your kind comments 

Chris

Faith ? Hope ? or Charity ??

Waiting for @tonyot's reaction....

I'll find another Sea Gladiator to make this one....

IMG_20210721_231846

Oh No.... Did I give you another daft idea ???

Sorry Chris...:rofl2:

CC

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Hi CC you naughty man, I was thinking of doing N5520 as unpacked from her crate with the two blade prop, then later with the Blenheim prop and then the following year in the TSS scheme which extended further down each side of the fuselage, so three stages of the same machine.

Got the Sword Sea Gladiator for the middle stage, with an SBS prop an Airfix kit modified with with the kits Watts two blader for its first stage and another modified Airfix kit with the second SBS prop for the final stage.

You're a bad influence CC, now I know why you're always in ghe naughty corner 😉

Thanks fella 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi all work has started on the first Sea Gladiator,  this is the Sword kit which looks good and includes a nice resin engine and cowling,  added some belts to the pilot's seat and wires in the trough to secure the belts.

spacer.png

Fuselage joined and lower wings on

spacer.png

Exhaust collector painted and polished on outside and in. Some aluminium was drybrushed in the front edge

spacer.png

Engine painted

spacer.png

I have also started the Hurricane too

spacer.png

Thanks  for looking 

Chris

• Like 10

• bigbadbadge changed the title to FAA builds ASV Anson, SeaGladiators and Flycatcher - Firefly now finished too
34 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Looking good,

So are the Sea Gladiators going to be FAA or Malta jobbies or a mix.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  they are all the same plane N5520 Malta Sea Gladiator at three different times in a year. 

Chris

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Alistair,  they are all the same plane N5520 Malta Sea Gladiator at three different times in a year. 

Chris

Now that is such a cool idea. Looking forward to it.

11 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

That's it for tonight as as off to bed shortly as 0330 hrs start in the morning.  

I feel your pain. I know what dragging yourself up for an early shift is like.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Now that is such a cool idea. Looking forward to it.

I feel your pain. I know what dragging yourself up for an early shift is like.

Cheers,

Alistair

I wouldn't mind but I  am on A/L tomorrow but have  to drive to Devon pick up my sister and bring her back, then back to work on Thursday. Joy oh joy . Getting up early so I don't get stuck at Stonehenge in the bottleneck !!! There's also Lasagna for dinner tomorrow evening so don't want to miss that!!!

Chris

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Chris

That's a great guy !!

:dog::dog:

Can't wait to see the result !!

Nasty CC

• Like 2

Nice work on the Gladiator Chris - look forward to seeing this  come together,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

I built the Roden 1/48 Sea Gladiator - 813(F) NAS, not one of the Malta aircraft.  It was the closest I came to building a “flying” model...  It spent over a year on the naughty shelf before it got finished (not my finest work)..

Yours looks rather good.  I think I’ll hang around for a bit if you don’t mind..

Edited by Grey Beema

20 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

That's a great guy !!

:dog::dog:

Can't wait to see the result !!

Nasty CC

Thanks CC, no pressure then!!!😃 luckily these will be 72nd scale so should go together okay, fingers crossed. 

11 hours ago, Dunny said:

Nice work on the Gladiator Chris - look forward to seeing this  come together,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, very kind.  I am liking the Sword kit so far, have used it to mark up the Airfix fuselage for the empty arrestor hook bays, so will start on them when a bit further along  with this one.

11 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

I built the Roden 1/48 Sea Gladiator - 813(F) NAS, not one of the Malta aircraft.  It was the closest I came to building a “flying” model...  It spent over a year on the naughty shelf before it got finished (not my finest work)..

Yours looks rather good.  I think I’ll hang around for a bit if you don’t mind..

Thanks GB very kind of you. The Sword kit is going together much better than I thought it would.   I am diingvthe other two from the Airfix kits and they do go together well so hopefully the plan will come together.  I do have the Eduard boxing of the Roden Kit to do as a Sea Gladiator,  that should  be fun.  Good to have you along too.

22 hours ago, AliGauld said:

I wouldn't want to miss a lasagne either.

Cheers,

Alistair

I got back in time Alistair, despite the best efforts of the A303 and M25!!! A lovely 500 odd mile drive over 11 hours there and back. I had my Lasagne, yummy. 

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1