FAA builds, 32nd Hawker Nimrod ,Seafire now finished

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks CC yes lots more FAA to come. Really pleased with the Hurricane,  they are cracking kits.

Thanks fella

Chris

Oh sure !!

I bought one more.....

Smuggled with success....

Keep on moving, nothing to see on here :whistle:

She will be a FAA Hurricane Mk I

Then maybe a german desert Hurricane....

It can be funny too

CC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Oh sure !!

I bought one more.....

Smuggled with success....

Keep on moving, nothing to see on here :whistle:

She will be a FAA Hurricane Mk I

Then maybe a german desert Hurricane....

It can be funny too

CC

The Sea Hurricane,  I must get one too. I like smuggling in then leave in plain sight and say I've had it for ages dear, if asked, I can't get away with the raffle ticket taped to it saying look what I won anymore!!!

Keep up the good work fella 

Chris

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Are you giving it a go Keith?

I have a built Heller 1/72 Bf-109K that I'd lost interest in as I couldn't be bothered with all the masking needed on it Chris. But when I came across this thread your brush painting did inspire me to attack it with a hairy stick! I painted the fuselage with Xtracrylic but wasn't really happy with using it, so have bought some Humbrol Luftwaffe enamels to have a go at the rest of it. I'm not expecting great results but it's going to be fun having a try and if I ruin it (quite likely!!) there's not much lost! 🤣

Keith

• Like 2

1 minute ago, keefr22 said:

I have a built Heller 1/72 Bf-109K that I'd lost interest in as I couldn't be bothered with all the masking needed on it Chris. But when I came across this thread your brush painting did inspire me to attack it with a hairy stick! I painted the fuselage with Xtracrylic but wasn't really happy with using it, so have bought some Humbrol Luftwaffe enamels to have a go at the rest of it. I'm not expecting great results but it's going to be fun having a try and if I ruin it (quite likely!!) there's not much lost! 🤣

Keith

Keith what a cracking idea, I hope you enjoy the process  it is very relaxing  just practice and don't thin too much . You will know if not thinned enough due to the brush dragging.  I paint panels so you don't take on too much at once.  I am really pleased that you have been inspired to do this Keith and hope you enjoy , it does take longer than airbrushing and depending on the colour can take up to three coats although yellows take twice that!!!

Good luck on your fine quest fella. 

Chris

• Thanks 2

Hi all 

Been plodding along with the Anson not too far to go with the yellow now

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have done a little bit more to the Sea Gladiator 

spacer.png

I have painted on a second coat of paint on the upper surface of the lower wing, light slate grey and it's reacted with the first coat.

spacer.png

It has crazed, never had that with enamels before  it was left for 24 hrs to dry before re coating.

Thanks for looking 

Chris

• Like 13
  • Sad 1

Hi Chris,

The Anson looks lovely, shame about that paint reaction on the Sea Gladiator - I'm sure you'll recover the situation though!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

Hi Chris,

The Anson looks lovely, shame about that paint reaction on the Sea Gladiator - I'm sure you'll recover the situation though!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, pleased with the Anson and hopefully this will be painted by the end of next week.  Yes it's a shame about the Sea Gladiator paint, never had a paint react with itself before, will have to sand it back and klear coat to seal .

I hope you had a lovely break fella. 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The dreaded paint reaction, very frustrating when it happens! Well done for not binning it like I have in the past. Thanks to your patience you will have a beautiful sea gladiator in the end. The Anson is really looking the part.

Richie

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RichieW said:

The dreaded paint reaction, very frustrating when it happens! Well done for not binning it like I have in the past. Thanks to your patience you will have a beautiful sea gladiator in the end. The Anson is really looking the part.

Richie

Thanks Richie, I have had it before when doing a car, but not with enamels. I will see if I can rub down okay after a day or two 

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Wanted to give two emoji's for that post Chris - a like for Annie and a sad for that despicable paint on the Gladiator - how dare it react like that....?! :)

Keith

😄 Thanks Keith, pleased with the Annie, yes a shame about the paint, will try again though.  Good news is that some aftermarket bits arrived yesterday for the Tigermoth so will start that in a few days. 

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 2

• bigbadbadge changed the title to FAA builds ASV Anson, Sea Gladiators and more
1 hour ago, RichieW said:

I'm liking this a lot Chris, it's going to be stunning with the markings on. Got any tips for brush painting clear coats?

Richie

Thanks Richie, I have located some areas which I wasn't happy with so have tried sorting but not easy to access so might have to live with!!!

I use Johnsons Klear floor polish,  it's water based and is very easy to just brush on , the best tip I can give is to use a wide flat brush. Klear is very forgiving but don't brush too much on as otherwise it will pool at the wing edge for example. Also if you get bubbles on the surface of the model most can be brushed off and the rest can be blown on and disappear. 

Thanks fella

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That Anson is looking superb Chris,..... what a shame about the Sea Gladiator. If I were you I would either apply thinners and strip it back to the plastic or try sanding it smooth first,..... you might just get way with it? 

Looking forward to seeing both of these finished mate,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tonyot said:

That Anson is looking superb Chris,..... what a shame about the Sea Gladiator. If I were you I would either apply thinners and strip it back to the plastic or try sanding it smooth first,..... you might just get way with it? 

Looking forward to seeing both of these finished mate,

Cheers

Tony

1 hour ago, Grey Beema said:

Great work on the Annie.  I think I would go with Tony’s suggestion of fine wet & dry on the Gladiator Wing, try to polish it smooth..

Thanks Tony and GB, pleased with the Annie and can'twait to decsl it and then start dome weatheringadd U/C etc and carry on with the engines. 

The paint crazing was disappointing on the Sea Gladiator.  I managed to rub it down and then added a thin or light coat of Klear  to act as a barrier coat (picked this up spraying a car). After that had dried  I was able to recoat again successfully.   I will have to add another coat too so will see how that goes!!!

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 3

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

That is some superb looking yellow paint Chris, top job!!

Keith

Thanks Keith,  very kind, I think it's 6 coats in all !!! I think it's sent me a bit doolally  🤪

32 minutes ago, galgos said:

Full marks for not breaking off the rudder balance horn Chris.  She's looking very 'ansome in yellow!

Max

Ansome  like what you did there 😄. Thanks Max, very kind too, pleased with it, I am chuffed not to have knocked the balance off , however there's still time yet!!!

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks Alistair,  very kind,  fingers crossed for some Klear on later.  Pleased with it so far.   I have managed to sort out the Gladiator with a rub down and a light Klear coat to act as a barrier coat and given a second coat. Fingers crossed it takes another coat!!!

Thanks fella 

Chris

• Like 2

Your Anson's pure class in that yellow now Chris - absolutely immaculate brushwork all round. :clap2:

As others have said, the crazing a minor setback to a craftsman like yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Your Anson's pure class in that yellow now Chris - absolutely immaculate brushwork all round. :clap2:

As others have said, the crazing a minor setback to a craftsman like yourself.

Thanks Tony, very kind of you.  I am pleased as got the first gloss coat on the Annie so decalling is not too far off now.  The paint crazing is now dealt with so hopefully the Sea Gladiator will progress slowly forward now.

Thanks fella

Chris

• Like 4

Hi Chris,

Been away with work and missed this - Anson is looking superb! Do you dream in yellow now?! 🤣

Cheers,

Roger

• Haha 2