FAA builds, 32nd Hawker Nimrod ,Seafire now finished

The Anson looks fantastic Chris, but I also see what you see with the roundels.  Aside from finding replacements I’m not what could be done without an airbrush, though you’re so good with a brush you could paint them I reckon.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

Missed a few pages but it's great to see that Anson coming together in her final coat. Lovely aircraft and looked like a lovely kit to boot! Can't wait to see that Skyraider come together though. 

Thanks Lewis,  looking forward to the Skyraider too  was afraid to start until kindly BMers assisted on a ref request. 

10 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

The RWD5 looks lovely. As does the Anson!

I am however wondering with the Skyraider whether the FAA went through a phase of not using an aeroplane unless it was uglier than the Fairey Gannet?

Regards,

Adrian

😄 yes they did look at some unusual designs  would love a Semew one day.  

The little RWD was a lovely little kit to build, I have seen some online where they have really gone to town.

7 hours ago, Dunny said:

Some beautiful detail on the wipers Chris, and the Annie is looking lovely with decals in place! Look forward to seeing the Skyraider take shape, particularly with such  a personal connection!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, pleased mainly with the Anson and the Flightpath bits are quite nice too . I had to do a Skyraider as one connected to one of Dad's ships so was pleased when the Sword kit was released. I hope I can do it justice. 

4 hours ago, RichieW said:

Was thinking exactly that too! Some terrific detail work going on Chris.

The Skyraider looks very  businesslike,  I think it will have great presence when done.

Richie

Thanks Richie getting close to getting the Annie on the undercarriage which will be great.  Always been fascinated with the

Skyraiders and so excited to start on this, got all my paint and decals now so will be all ahead  on this one.

Thanks everyone 

Chris

• Like 3

4 hours ago, galgos said:

I see what you mean about those wing roundels Chris, very “in your face”. Are you planning to weather the model at all, that might tone things down a bit.

Max 

Thanks Max, I  will only do mild weathering as they were looked after quite well, but there will be some oil, dirt and chipping. 

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

The Anson looks fantastic Chris, but I also see what you see with the roundels.  Aside from finding replacements I’m not what could be done without an airbrush, though you’re so good with a brush you could paint them I reckon.

Thanks Mark, the red centres are just too big however I have just, whilst writing this reply, had a simple idea which should work  to remedy the sizes . It should work on all roundels hopefully. 

Thanks guys 

Chris

• Like 3

Blimey Chris,

I’ve just caught up with this after you mentioned the dust getting in your Anson on my Canberra thread.

I thought my painting was good with my airbrush but your results with a paintbrush are far better.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brigbeale said:

Blimey Chris,

I’ve just caught up with this after you mentioned the dust getting in your Anson on my Canberra thread.

I thought my painting was good with my airbrush but your results with a paintbrush are far better.

Thanks Brian, very kind of you to say that,  but I imagine your airbrush work is neater fella. Yes dust got in despite masking of openings etc, which is a real shame.   Thanks for all the likes and looking in.

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

All looking very nicely done.

Looking forward to the Skyraider. Nice one.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  me too  was worried about the Skyraider initially, but following information kindly received from everyone on my request for info thread, I can now proceed.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 3

That's a great save Chris - looking lovely! The white will surely settle down under a flat coat?

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mark.au said:

Looks great Chris, nicely done 

Thanks Mark, they look a bit more like the image now .

32 minutes ago, Dunny said:

That's a great save Chris - looking lovely! The white will surely settle down under a flat coat?

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, I am much happier with the roundels now, I hope they will,  might have to apply some weathering to help too!!! Fingers crossed it works.

Thanks guys, serials and codes next then undercarriage  Radar and engines then will be nearly done!

Chris

Looks great - superb glazing!

For the roundels, the standard for the time a says that the red:white:blue diameters should be 1:3:5 for type A roundels but there were lots of variations. Miles aircraft often had a larger-then-average red dot, for example.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks great - superb glazing!

For the roundels, the standard for the time a says that the red:white:blue diameters should be 1:3:5 for type A roundels but there were lots of variations. Miles aircraft often had a larger-then-average red dot, for example.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,  the glazing was a labour of love and took a long time !!! Pleased with it so far.  The roundels look to be non standard in the image I have used, with small red centres  this when I used the standard 1:3:5 standard post war decals I just couldn't live with them so just had to change, worth the efforts and fortunately quite a simple change too. Only trouble is I have now used nearly half the roundels on the sheet!!!

Thanks for looking in. 

Chris

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Post war roundels (type D) changed to 1:2:3!

Can’t remember what the ratios are for the C type :)

Regards,

Adrian

Yes sorry these were the 1:2:3 ratio D roundels  not with it earlier but the image does show non standard roundels, so had to alter.

Ratios for C roundels are 3:4:8 and C1 are 3:4:8:9 according to the Data on the Xtradecsl set.

Chris

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

this when I used the standard 1:3:5 standard post war decals

Ah, that's why I couldn't see anything wrong with them Chris as they were 1:2:3 post war D types - I had it in my head that Annie was a post war machine, didn't know you wanted 'A-types'....!! :doh:

Keith

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Ah, that's why I couldn't see anything wrong with them Chris as they were 1:2:3 post war D types - I had it in my head that Annie was a post war machine, didn't know you wanted 'A-types'....!! :doh:

Keith

😄 me neither, was never very good at the roundel types Keith, I like doing things the hard way too!!! Now I have a reference so should be okay from now on !!!

Thanks Keith

Chris 

• Like 1

Hi all

Skyraider is underway with the cockpit assembled, sear belts were made from coffee jar foil .

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Anson has finally got her identity,  decals are from Xtradecal and although the fuselage ones are pretty close to the original, I don't have the correct sized decals for the underwing serials,  these were the biggest I had .  I had to make the threes from 8s. 

I will have to paint the underwing serials black.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking 

Chris

• Like 10

3 hours ago, AliGauld said:

A nice start with the Skyraider, the Anson Ooof. Thoroughly gobsmacked here.

Stunning.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  very kind of you, not looking forward to painting those serials though!!!

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Alistair,  very kind of you, not looking forward to painting those serials though!!!

Chris

Now you see Chris, if you used an airbrush I’d happily have cut you some masks for those serials…….😄

Max 

• Haha 2