FAA builds, 32nd Hawker Nimrod ,Seafire now finished

Hurricane looking very tasty Chris! 

I couldn't even contemplate brush painting something the size of a 1/48th Anson in yellow....!! Have you ever considered using something like white Tamiya fine surface white primer in a spray can to give yourself an opaque base for the yellow? I only ask as I always spray a white primer coat before airbrushing anything yellow, and even then it drives me nuts...!! :)

Keith

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Hurricane looking very tasty Chris! 

I couldn't even contemplate brush painting something the size of a 1/48th Anson in yellow....!! Have you ever considered using something like white Tamiya fine surface white primer in a spray can to give yourself an opaque base for the yellow? I only ask as I always spray a white primer coat before airbrushing anything yellow, and even then it drives me nuts...!! :)

Keith

Thanks Keith , Hurricane got it's red Squiggles tonight .  Pleased with how that's turning out. 

I have thought of it previously and even a dark earth primer, but I do like a challenge.   I don't know if you saw my Ventura Target Tug but that was without primer and it worked out quite well.  I thin it a bit and use a wide flat brush I have set aside for yellow only and it should only take around six coats hopefully!!! It's quite therapeutic really.

39 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Nice brush work yet again.

I really don't know how you do it. Itwould fill me with terror.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  the brush painting is a favourite part for me, it is relaxing and I like trying to emulate what you can with an airbrush, although I can't pre shade only post shade with a brush. It's not as terrifying as you might expect. 

Thanks guys 

Chris 

• Like 4

Chris,

Looking good - second the feeling of dread with yellow, and I'm airbrushing! Hurri looks cracking too,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Looking good - second the feeling of dread with yellow, and I'm airbrushing! Hurri looks cracking too,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,  once I get the glazing painting sorted I will be able to get some colour on the Anson , it's not to bad to paint generally just needs a lot of coats!!!

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Inspirational brushwork on both aircraft Chris - some really beautiful visual textures being produced in your work these days. Kudos to you.

Thanks Tony pleased with the way it's all starting to look now.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Impressive serie Chris,

Very good squiggles !!

Super brush painting skills, !!

CC

Thanks CC, hope you're okay.  Looking at some other builds of similar subjects online I am not sure if the squiggles are too big but I followed the instructions as best as I could. 

Chris

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks CC, hope you're okay.  Looking at some other builds of similar subjects online I am not sure if the squiggles are too big but I followed the instructions as best as I could. 

Chris

They look quite fine to me !!

Running every there and there in sweat, then staying et funeral parlor...

I got a solid cold !! with the usual sinusitis... And I resume work tomorrow !!

Stay safe Man and keep up the fine job !!

CC

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

They look quite fine to me !!

Running every there and there in sweat, then staying et funeral parlor...

I got a solid cold !! with the usual sinusitis... And I resume work tomorrow !!

Stay safe Man and keep up the fine job !!

CC

Thanks for the reassurance CC.  Crikey fella you are really going through it at the moment and having the cold at the mo is not good.  Good luck for the return to work  and you stay safe too.

All the best wishes

Chris

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Hurri's looking great Chris - squiggles coming along nicely!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger  very kind of you fella.   I am on a roll with that one whilst I let the yellow paint harden off on the Anson cockpit glazing.  Be able to get some yellow on that soon.

Chris

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

Looking great Chris! This camouflage always intrigued me, it's like nothing else in the RAF? I'd love to know how it came about.

Thanks Mike, yes it's a fascinating scheme , there were some FAA Fairey Fulmars in a TSS with the same squiggle disruption scheme on the leading edges etc, Roger @Dunny has done a lovely build of one which looks rather splendid.  

From looking at Tony O'Toole's @tonyotwonderful book, No Place For Beginners, Battle over Malta June 1940 - September 1941, explains it was an Italian inspired scheme, nicknamed a Spaghetti scheme designed to make the Hurricane look more like an Italian Fighter from head on in 1941/42.  The Royal Navy applied it to the Fulmars in 1940.

Chris

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

From looking at Tony O'Toole's @tonyotwonderful book, No Place For Beginners, Battle over Malta June 1940 - September 1941, explains it was an Italian inspired scheme, nicknamed a Spaghetti scheme designed to make the Hurricane look more like an Italian Fighter from head on in 1941/42.  The Royal Navy applied it to the Fulmars in 1940.

Chris

Hiya Chris,.... it was more to break up the outline of the Fulmar from the front to enable it to get closer to Italian bombers which had a similar top speed,........ the RAF copied it and used it on their Hurricanes too,..... some people thought that it looked rather Italian due to the mottles and that might be where the Spaghetti name coms from? 

Cheers

Tony O`Toole,..... author of said book! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Hiya Chris,.... it was more to break up the outline of the Fulmar from the front to enable it to get closer to Italian bombers which had a similar top speed,........ the RAF copied it and used it on their Hurricanes too,..... some people thought that it looked rather Italian due to the mottles and that might be where the Spaghetti name coms from? 

Cheers

Tony O`Toole,..... author of said book! 

Thanks Tony 

Chris

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Mike, yes it's a fascinating scheme , there were some FAA Fairey Fulmars in a TSS with the same squiggle disruption scheme on the leading edges etc, Roger @Dunny has done a lovely build of one which looks rather splendid.  

Chris

Thanks Chris - very kind of you to say so (even though it is probably inaccurate!)

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1