FAA builds, 32nd Hawker Nimrod ,Seafire now finished

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Looking good Chris - I do envy you brush painters, such a pain having to clean out the airbrush - did a bit of painting yesterday on a small tank model for our club's next competition, took way longer to clean the airbrush out than the actual painting did!

Keith

Thanks  Keith, it's  really therapeutic painting, I do it to panel lines so it makes it tidier too, I have just added a third coat of paint which is thinned even more and will do one more tonight and hopefully ghat should be it.  I have never used an airbrush due to fumes and being above the kids bedrooms in the old days before the loft conversion and the thought of Airbrushing is quite scary, although I have sprayed full size cars!!! 🤪

48 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Looking good - it may be a trick of the light, but the Sky looks to me to be quite grey?

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, i think that is the grey plastic  showing through, after the third coat it's now looking very Sky colour.  Hopefully just the one more coat to do.  Fingers crossed.

17 minutes ago, RichieW said:

Nice exciting stage of any build when the paint starts going on.

That travelair looks like a really charming little aircraft. I'm looking forward to seeing it come together. In the meantime I'd better look it up, it's not one I'm at all familiar with. I love the educational aspect of modelling!

Richie

Thanks Richie,  pleased to finally get some paint on.  The Travelair is lovely and I am just painting all the engine parts at the moment,  I have an aftermarket engine but it's too big for the cowling so using the very nice kit parts.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

I have sprayed full size cars!!!

Me too Chris, and I sometimes think it's easier than airbrushing! Nothing scary about airbrushing though, just a lot of tedious masking and clean up!

Keith

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mark.au said:

All caught up.  That Fulmar looks great, I’m looking forward to seeing how it turns out.  

Thanks Mark

A bit more progress 

Engine on Travelair completed, all fitted together perfectly , this is the rear.

spacer.png

Front

spacer.png

Engine is a push fit into front of fuselage and again fit is great

spacer.png

Cowling is again a push fit and goes on very well

spacer.png

Underside of the Firefly completed too, u/C bays edges all tidied can now start painting the camouflage now.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking 

Chris

• Like 15

Crikey,.... I thought that I had a lot on the go at the same time! I`ve just enjoyed catching up with the thread and tht old propeller is amazing,..... what a heirloom that is. He will have cut it up to fit inside a kit bag!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Looking really good there.

Fabulous paintwork.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair, the painting up top will be starting tonight hopefully, finally. 

8 hours ago, tonyot said:

Crikey,.... I thought that I had a lot on the go at the same time! I`ve just enjoyed catching up with the thread and tht old propeller is amazing,..... what a heirloom that is. He will have cut it up to fit inside a kit bag!

Thanks Tony,  yes I like to keep busy, so many kits, so little time!!! 

Very pleased with the prop yes that was what he did,  makes you wonder how long it was before they realised an aircraft had a prop missing???

I was quite amazed how light it was when I picked it up and had expected it to be a bit heavier. 

I have asked if they have his log book as if I can see it or them I can see if he flew in the Tiggie Glider trainer I built DF184,  which would be absolutely amazing!!!

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 3

The hand painted underside of the Firefly looks amazing Chris. I only ever hand paint small details these days but I should definitely give it a go. I have to confess I had never heard of the Travelair, but looked it up and can see it's an impressive looking beast.

Thoroughly enjoyable thread.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

The hand painted underside of the Firefly looks amazing Chris. I only ever hand paint small details these days but I should definitely give it a go. I have to confess I had never heard of the Travelair, but looked it up and can see it's an impressive looking beast.

Thoroughly enjoyable thread.

Terry

Thanks Terry,  I really enjoy the brush painting and trying to get as smooth a finish as possible.   It is relaxing.   

The Travelair had its first coat of red last night too, although not worthy of a photo yet.

Thanks

Chris

• Like 1

Chris,

Lovely Travelair engine, and the Firefly underside is looking suitably Sky shaded! Looking forward to seeing the camo go on,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Nice progress Chris, and I really like the way you've done the exhaust collector on the Travelair engine, can I ask how you did that?

Keith

Thanks Keith,  yes no worries,  I painted in humbrol 56 Aluminium and then straight after painted  some areas but not the joints between the pipes and collector rings, in Humbrol metalcoat polished Aluminium  and then buffed up with a cotton bud, I have some bronze weathering powder and gently worked it in the parts but not all of the ring and pipes and then blew it off and it looked very pleasing.  Hope that helps Keith.

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Lovely Travelair engine, and the Firefly underside is looking suitably Sky shaded! Looking forward to seeing the camo go on,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, really pleased with the Engine although a lot won't be seen !!! Going to start on the Firefly today so will hopefully start to look good soon .

Thanks Guys

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

I painted in humbrol 56 Aluminium and then straight after painted  some areas but not the joints between the pipes and collector rings, in Humbrol metalcoat polished Aluminium  and then buffed up with a cotton bud, I have some bronze weathering powder and gently worked it in the parts but not all of the ring and pipes and then blew it off and it looked very pleasing.  Hope that helps Keith.

Certainly does, thanks Chris - great technique and the result looks spot on to me! 👍

Cheers

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice update Chris, the travelair kit looks excellent. The engine looks nicely detailed, the great painting helps bring it out....as always!😉

I did some reading up on the Travelair, what a beautiful little aircraft. Very interested to see which scheme the master brush painter will choose!

Richie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RichieW said:

Nice update Chris, the travelair kit looks excellent. The engine looks nicely detailed, the great painting helps bring it out....as always!😉

I did some reading up on the Travelair, what a beautiful little aircraft. Very interested to see which scheme the master brush painter will choose!

Richie

Thanks Richie,  very kind of you, the scheme will be the red and black one, I will post a couple of pics of progress on 3 of the 4 builds as I managed to get some painting and other bits done today.

Thanks 

Chris

• Like 1

Hi all

Some progress today with 3 of the 4 models. 

The Firefly got her first coat topside, it doesn't look pretty at the mo but it is very thinned paint so gets better with further coats

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Travelair also got a first coat with the undercarriage Spats assembled and paint started too. Again not pretty  but first coat.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And finally I have made some further progress on the gun mounts which is actually part of the blind flying canopy frame from the Special Hobby Mike's Magister and eas cut and bent to fit as I wanted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking 

Chris

• Like 11

Another great update, that Firefly has a real presence about it. Great job on painting the canopy frame!

Loving what the Travelair is becoming, that is going to be very striking. That Vickers has built up beautifully, so much detail in what must be a tiny part, some proper micro surgery gone into that mate!

Richie

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RichieW said:

Another great update, that Firefly has a real presence about it. Great job on painting the canopy frame!

Loving what the Travelair is becoming, that is going to be very striking. That Vickers has built up beautifully, so much detail in what must be a tiny part, some proper micro surgery gone into that mate!

Richie

Thanks Richie,  the Firefly was a big old girl, but a lovely looking machine. I just have to build up the red colour which my take a few more coats.

Pleased with the Vickers as will add the final bits and then be able to add them to the Flycatcher finally, they even include the hydraulic Union for the interrupter gear.

9 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Nice start with the paint that man.

Will be watching the progress.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  very kind fella.

Thanks guys

Chris

Chris,

Firefly's coming along a treat - another couple of coats will make it pop nicely! The Travelair is also a very striking scheme,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Firefly's coming along a treat - another couple of coats will make it pop nicely! The Travelair is also a very striking scheme,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, pleased to have started painting at last and now should speed up a bit now hopefully,  fingers and toes crossed.

Thanks fella

Chris

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Some good looking brushwork going on Chris, even the first coat on the Travelair looks as good as most of my finished brush painting!!

Keith

Keith you are too kind fella,  I am sure that's not the case.  I will get some more paint on today so they will start looking a bit better.

Thanks

Chris