FAA builds, 32nd Hawker Nimrod ,Seafire now finished

I have been a very lucky lad today, we had some visitors, SWMBO's ex Step Mum and her Husband who saw my mancave and in the Mancave Spotted my TigerMoth build and commented, I advised it was a Glider Pilot Traniner, she commented that he Late Father was a glider Pilot Trainer and he flew Tiggies so I have set her some homework to see if a copy of his logbook is still in the family as it would be absolutely amazing if he had flown DF184 the subject of my build.   We will see. What they did bring round is an old trophy of his which he brought back with him at the end of his service.  He had to cut into three pieces to bring it home. It is I presume a Tigermoth  prop and will be going on a wall, just have to agree where now with the Domestic Authorities!!!  Well chuffed to have this. 

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Thanks for looking 

Chris

• Like 15

16 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I have been a very lucky lad today, we had some visitors, SWMBO's ex Step Mum and her Husband who saw my mancave and in the Mancave Spotted my TigerMoth build and commented, I advised it was a Glider Pilot Traniner, she commented that he Late Father was a glider Pilot Trainer and he flew Tiggies so I have set her some homework to see if a copy of his logbook is still in the family as it would be absolutely amazing if he had flown DF184 the subject of my build.   We will see. What they did bring round is an old trophy of his which he brought back with him at the end of his service.  He had to cut into three pieces to bring it home. It is I presume a Tigermoth  prop and will be going on a wall, just have to agree where now with the Domestic Authorities!!!  Well chuffed to have this. 

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Thanks for looking 

Chris

Wow - what a cracker! That'll look good on the wall...

• Thanks 1

What a beautiful present, the perfect wall to hang it on is centre stage in the living room. It may cost you a trip to somewhere special and probably a few spa days though!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RichieW said:

What a beautiful present, the perfect wall to hang it on is centre stage in the living room. It may cost you a trip to somewhere special and probably a few spa days though!

😄 Ah yes will have to log back onto Woucher again !!! Don't tell the missus and the brownie points will come rolling in !!!

I am very chuffed to get this, I am a lucky chap.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ha ha yes, negotiations will be taking place with the Domestic authorities very soon, timing will be key!!!

"Timing will be key"   😄  Oh, how that phrase resonates ... 🙄   And those little windows of opportunity seem few and far between. Ah, domestic bliss 🤫

But wow Chris, what a fantastic relic, and one most interior designers would kill for! (There must be a pinterest board out there to sway SWMBO?

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

"Timing will be key"   😄  Oh, how that phrase resonates ... 🙄   And those little windows of opportunity seem few and far between. Ah, domestic bliss 🤫

But wow Chris, what a fantastic relic, and one most interior designers would kill for! (There must be a pinterest board out there to sway SWMBO?

Yes definitely few and far between,  but one thing in my favour is that SWMBO said yes to me getting tge prop then told me about it, so it was her decision,  so am a lucky chap really.

If all else fails a spa weekend could be the clincher!!!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Yes definitely few and far between,  but one thing in my favour is that SWMBO said yes to me getting tge prop then told me about it, so it was her decision,  so am a lucky chap really.

If all else fails a spa weekend could be the clincher!!!

Good news!

My wifes idea of a Spa weekend ... (Spa-Francorchamps that is)

36072384140_507cc1d7c5_z.jpg

Le Bug Show by Mike, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, RichieW said:

Your SWMBO is clearly of the highest quality! 😀

I will let her know, she will be pleased with that!!!

1 hour ago, Quiet Mike said:

Good news!

My wifes idea of a Spa weekend ... (Spa-Francorchamps that is)

36072384140_507cc1d7c5_z.jpg

Le Bug Show by Mike, on Flickr

Now that is more like it  definitely the best type of Spa weekend although I am not sure she will agree!!!😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi all

Got these through the post the other day from Hannants, Mini World Vickers MkII  guns for the Flycatcher , they are very detailed. 

spacer.png

I have started making the mounts . The kit gun is at the bottom. 

spacer.png

Very nearly ready for paint on the Firefly too

spacer.png

Vacform rear glazing added and Kit windscreen,  will use kit's pilot canopy. Rear glazing cut to display open.

spacer.png

Just got to tidy hhe horizontal tailplane attachment joints and then it will be time for painting wahoo.

Thanks for looking 

Chris

• Like 15

59 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi all

Got these through the post the other day from Hannants, Mini World Vickers MkII  guns for the Flycatcher , they are very detailed. 

spacer.png

I have started making the mounts . The kit gun is at the bottom. 

spacer.png

Very nearly ready for paint on the Firefly too

spacer.png

Vacform rear glazing added and Kit windscreen,  will use kit's pilot canopy. Rear glazing cut to display open.

spacer.png

Just got to tidy hhe horizontal tailplane attachment joints and then it will be time for painting wahoo.

Thanks for looking 

Chris,

Some lovely detail on those Vickers, and glad to see you made the bravest cut of all on the rear canopy! Shaping up nicely! I'm preparing to rev up my own two seat FAA build...

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Some lovely detail on those Vickers, and glad to see you made the bravest cut of all on the rear canopy! Shaping up nicely! I'm preparing to rev up my own two seat FAA build...

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, the rear canopy took a long time to cut out sand and then cut out the opening, but am glad that I did it. 

The Vickers guns are really detailed, just trying to figure out the mounts.

Oooooo is the Fulmar making an appearance ? Looking forward to seeing it.

Chris

• Like 2

Just now, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Roger, the rear canopy took a long time to cut out sand and then cut out the opening, but am glad that I did it. 

The Vickers guns are really detailed, just trying to figure out the mounts.

Oooooo is the Fulmar making an appearance ? Looking forward to seeing it.

Chris

Yes it is Chris, and progressing nicely!

• Like 2

Thanks Mark,  Firefly very nearly drove me a bit 🤪 but I think I am over it now !!! Just got to sort the gun mounts out and will be able to finish off the Flycatcher. I think some Navalised Gladiator games will start after that.

Chris

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Oh yes, bring on the paint.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  especially for you some paint on this little beauty 😉

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not FAA, but I don't have a thread for the Herald,  but finally after a year or more on the shelf of doom  she's finally got some paint on.

Acrylic automotive rattle can spray. Pleased with this. 

Chris

• Like 11

Nice update Chris, the Vickers was well worth upgrading. The kit part look really horrible in comparison. The Firefly is coming along beautifully, was there a sharp intake of breath before performing the canopy surgery? Looking forward to seeing another of your great paint jobs.

Richie

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Nice smooth finish on that one.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair only 4 coats of white !!! It has come out very well.  Just got to let it harden now and then the Aluminium can go on.

2 hours ago, RichieW said:

Nice update Chris, the Vickers was well worth upgrading. The kit part look really horrible in comparison. The Firefly is coming along beautifully, was there a sharp intake of breath before performing the canopy surgery? Looking forward to seeing another of your great paint jobs.

Richie

Thanks Richie, yes definitely glad to have got yhe Vickers upgraded, although all the detail is there in the kit guns but moulding limitations at the time meant underneath the guns was all solid.

The canopy cut was a bit nerve wracking but fortunately only one slip up.  I have decided to use the kit bits for the pilots cockpit though.  Just got to tidy the horizontal tailplanes and cut a landing light!!!

Chris

• Like 2

Hi all

A bit more work on the Firefly.   Undercarriage components,  some cracking details on the inside of the doors.

spacer.png

After seeing Roger's( @Dunny) fabulous Fulmar build I noticed that the Landing light was not present as a clear light in this kit, just panel lines, so cut out

spacer.png

Boxed in and painted, needs some tidying as dovyhe cannons

spacer.png

spacer.png

More filling and sanding then !!!!

Thanks for looking 

Chris

• Like 13