FAA builds, 32nd Hawker Nimrod ,Seafire now finished

Hi all

Been working on these and have an update

Anson interior progressing slowly

spacer.png

Firefly interior done apart from the main seatbelts for pilot, just need to add some chipping. Had to make the joystick as missing from the kit

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Flycatcher has had cockpit doors added and some paint and decals

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Struts and tailplane all painted so once the front end of fuselage smoothed off for a new engine I will paint this and add the small bits and wing and rig it.

Thanks for looking 

Chris

• Like 17

Chris,

The Firefly interior is looking awesome - what did you use as a wash? Flycatcher also looking lovely,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

The Firefly interior is looking awesome - what did you use as a wash? Flycatcher also looking lovely,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, it is a very nicely detailed interior and used an oilpaint wash thinned with white spirits.   The details are astounding. 

Very pleased with the Flycatcher too will be rigged soon .

26 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

"Corks" as Henry Gordon Jago would say.

A particularly pleasing palette of plastic.

Cheers,

Alistair

Ha ha thanks Alistair,  very kind.

Chris

• Like 1

Fantastic work, I can't single out anything for particular praise because it's all such an incredibly high standard! You've been very busy Chris!

Richie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all

Firefly seats in place awaiting pilot Harness belts 

spacer.png

Flycatcher kit tailplane struts which two were missing and are too short so new ones made from crushed brass tube , just have to clean up now

spacer.png

Tailplanes and fin/rudder added with tailspin

spacer.png

Thanks for looking 

Chris

• Like 14

1 minute ago, RichieW said:

Good job Chris, the crushed brass tube struts look good. I will be having to try this method soon.

Thanks Richie, I did it in a pair of smooth pliers as tried lengths in the small vice and it wouldn't have any of it so did it close to the pivot point and it crushed it easily and worked my way along the length of the strut so hence the need to tidy a bit.  It will be the strongest bit of the kit !!!.

Chris

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Nice cockpit and inspired use of the brass. Might nick that idea.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  it's something I have seen on here previously so mot my idea. 

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Lovely work on the cockpit - the Flycatcher is a little beauty!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dunny said:

Hi Chris,

Lovely work on the cockpit - the Flycatcher is a little beauty!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger pleased with the cockpit, throttle and mixture levers added and the Flycatcher  tailplane is now all together  with the struts added and actuators modified and added.

spacer.png

Thanks

Chris

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Further progress as follows

Anson has only small progress, IP in and Rudder pedals added , stood off from the back of the IP

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Firefly has been a bit of a mojo sapper, lots of sanding some filling and more sanding, some rescribing and still more sanding to do.

Happier now the fuselage and wings mated, some gaps needed filling

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Flycatcher has progressed a bit, the gunfight added and rigged the centre struts and undercarriage struttery using Prym elastic thread. 

Top wing dry fitted

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Before I go any further on this one, I am awaiting the arrival of a pair of Mini World Vickers MkII machine guns so I can make up a representation of their mounts, once those are finished the top wing can go on an rigging can start. 

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 15

Chris,

Sorry to hear the Firefly's a drag - keep fighting the good fight! On the upside the Flycatcher looks lovely!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Sorry to hear the Firefly's a drag - keep fighting the good fight! On the upside the Flycatcher looks lovely!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, yes it has been a bit of a pain however, it is a Limited run kit so have to expect it , the resin details are phenomenal though and now the wings and fuselage are together I feel better, it didn't help that I lost the spinner yo another side project , a twin seat MkIX Spitfire so had to order a quickboost replacement. That was all on the same night I had enough of the Firefly !!! Still onwards and upwards

Chris

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Roger, yes it has been a bit of a pain however, it is a Limited run kit so have to expect it , the resin details are phenomenal though and now the wings and fuselage are together I feel better, it didn't help that I lost the spinner yo another side project , a twin seat MkIX Spitfire so had to order a quickboost replacement. That was all on the same night I had enough of the Firefly !!! Still onwards and upwards

Chris

Oooh a side project! No wip?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Oooh a side project! No wip?

Ha ha no WIP,  I  didn't think there would be any interest so thought I would just build it as and when plus it's the AZ models one and I don'thave the extra mojo to correct so built OOB.  Got a a few Spitfires to do. I will do the  Seafires on here though  eventually. 

Chris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

bit of a mojo sapper, lots of sanding some filling and more sanding, some rescribing and still more sanding to do.

Yup I know that feeling.

It's all looking splendid though.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Yup I know that feeling.

It's all looking splendid though.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair, I have got my Mojo back now and feel happier that the fuselage and wing are together,  hopefully not too much more to get ready for paint, fingers crossed. 

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

They are looking great, especially the Flycatcher. Is the Prym thread the 0.5mm elastic stuff? Always interested in new rigging materials…

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,  really enjoying the Flycatcher and yes it's the 0.5 stuff, it stretches out very tin though and has got the flat profile too, it's great stuff.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some good progress on all 3. All the sanding and filling on the Firefly will be well worth it in the end. I'm loving the Flycatcher, not a 'plane I'm at all familiar with. It's odd how an aircraft can look so charming! The choice of Prym elastic is good for rigging  British aircraft. Very much like aerodynamic flying wires and cheap too! 

Richie

• Thanks 1

Evening Chris, I didn't realise you had a w.i.p. thread going on these three beauties - so have just had a very pleasant carch up from page 1 ! Some really lovely scratchbuilding going on and the Flycatcher is looking gorgeous! Do I recall that you brush paint your models? The finish on the Flycatcher is stunning! Really like the interiors of the Firefly and Anson too. Your work on the latter is making me really regret selling my two C.A. kits now!

Looking forward to more progress

Keith

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RichieW said:

Some good progress on all 3. All the sanding and filling on the Firefly will be well worth it in the end. I'm loving the Flycatcher, not a 'plane I'm at all familiar with. It's odd how an aircraft can look so charming! The choice of Prym elastic is good for rigging  British aircraft. Very much like aerodynamic flying wires and cheap too! 

Richie

Thanks Richie,  I hope so fella , I have been sanding back the wing to fuselage joints  after I filled them with CA and talc earlier in a break from digging in the garden!!! They have turned out well a step nearer paint! I do love this on 48th and larger kits it's  great stuff and you can rig really quickly with it.

52 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Evening Chris, I didn't realise you had a w.i.p. thread going on these three beauties - so have just had a very pleasant carch up from page 1 ! Some really lovely scratchbuilding going on and the Flycatcher is looking gorgeous! Do I recall that you brush paint your models? The finish on the Flycatcher is stunning! Really like the interiors of the Firefly and Anson too. Your work on the latter is making me really regret selling my two C.A. kits now!

Looking forward to more progress

Keith

Hi Keith thank you fella, very kind. Now I am getting over all the sanding on the Firefly I hope to get some decent progress soon .  The Flycatcher is a nice kit despite it's age and have been enjoying this one.  The Anson is a nice kit too, just have to do lots of test fitting!!!

Yes I am a brush painter, I find it quite therapeutic, I used to avoid painting silver aircraft but have got the hang of it now so love doing silver machines. 

Thanks for the likes and kind comments. 

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 2