FAA builds, 32nd Hawker Nimrod ,Seafires, Beaufighter now finished

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

what a cracking kit.

...and what a superb result from it - another lovely build Chris! I say it every time, but I still can't understand how you can get a finish like that with a paintbrush - fantastic stuff!

Big beast coming along nicely too! :)

Keith

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

...and what a superb result from it - another lovely build Chris! I say it every time, but I still can't understand how you can get a finish like that with a paintbrush - fantastic stuff!

Big beast coming along nicely too! :)

Keith

Thanks Keith, very kind of you, I am pleased with the Martlet and pleased with the way the Sea Venom is going, although  don't think I will get it done before the deadline!!! The good thing is I can start the Tiggie now.

Thanks fella 

Chris

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AliGauld said:

What an absolutely belting finish.

Nice progress on the Sea Venom too.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  really kind of you  , very pleased with both. Although the Sea Venom is fill, sand and repeat at the moment. I am doing small sessions so I don't get bored!!!

Thanks

Chris

• Like 1

Hi all 

Tiggie started, fuselage section filed out for the strikes ahead of the Tailplane,  this is done using the jig Airfix provide and is simple.

Cockpit doors cut out too, front seat assembled and the tab at the back then cut off, as I wanted to show the recess for the seatbelt mounts

spacer.png

A hole was drilled at either end of the slots one hole went deeper than the other to allow the wire to be slid in and this was glued in

spacer.png

Then some plasticard was glued on the back to make the backing.

spacer.png

The seat belts can now be attached to the seats as they mount to the wire.

I have also cut off the top of yhe engine casing to help align the top engine panel. As provided in the kit there is a step between the top of the fuselage and the top cowling panel which isn't right and it should be smooth.

This is as far as I have got what with all the sanding on the Sea Venom, that is done but now rescribing and polishing of plastic will need to be done before paint.

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 8

Ahh it's always nice to see fresh plastic again! Happens so rarely to me, I'm enjoying living vicariously through this thread where stuff actually gets completed! I really like the belt wire, a nifty piece of work. I wish I'd done that on my current build once I'd pinged the equivalent PE piece into neverland.

Cheers,

Andy

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Ahh it's always nice to see fresh plastic again! Happens so rarely to me, I'm enjoying living vicariously through this thread where stuff actually gets completed! I really like the belt wire, a nifty piece of work. I wish I'd done that on my current build once I'd pinged the equivalent PE piece into neverland.

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks Andy, I fo love the Tigermoth and have a few of these in the stash(6) and want to do a good job on it, I did this on my 32nd scale Tiggie and want to get as much done to this as possible.   I have the PE set for this one too, which one or two bits might be sacrificed to satisfy the Carpet monster!!! Trouble is you find them once you've finished the build!!!

Chris

• Like 2

Oh, a Tiger Moth.  This one will be good to follow Chris.  I have a story in mind for a Tiger Moth build one day and shall follow yours closely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mark.au said:

Oh, a Tiger Moth.  This one will be good to follow Chris.  I have a story in mind for a Tiger Moth build one day and shall follow yours closely.

Thanks Mark, I  am intrigued and will look forward to that, I have a few of these in the stash as it is such a gorgeous aircraft with so many schemes. 

Chris

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Lovely Martlet and Venom!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian pleased with the Martlet,  what a cracking kit, a joy to build. The Venom is getting there now , hopefully not long before paint although U/C bays need work and the rear deck under the canopy glazing so better get those bits done first.

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Ooh a Tiger Moth,

I've got an Airfix 1/48 lying in the loft so will be following with interest.

Cheers,

Alistair

Lovely Aircraft, when will you be starting the Tiggie Alistair :wicked: it's a lovely kit,  always a pleasure to have you along fella. 

Thanks guys

Chris

• Haha 1

Hi all

No progress on the Tigermoth  but some more work on the Sea Venom

Undercarriage bays worked on and wires and inspection panels added 

spacer.png

Undercarriage legs being shortened to get the right stance and avoid Twerking!!!

spacer.png

Tail bumpers cut off and new ones made and Profiled

spacer.png

Panel and nose release handles added from plasticard 

spacer.png

Work started on the voltage regulator which is situated directly behind the stb Ejector seat

spacer.png

Further progress on this, still lots to go in, hydraulic tank on port side 

spacer.png

Thank goodness it fits!!!

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Chris

• Like 8

Some lovely scratchbuilding work on show there Chris. Love those tail bumpers and foil panels,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's some great looking detail work Chris!

Thanks Cookie,  it's getting there now. 

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

Some lovely scratchbuilding work on show there Chris. Love those tail bumpers and foil panels,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, I always feel slightly anxious about scratch work but once you start it seems to go well and I wonder what I was worried about in the first place!!!

The tail bumpers were the wrong shape and have turned out well. The foil panels are inspired as most of this is by Johnny's excellent build we followed a while ago of one of these.  

I have quite a supply of foil to use. As modellers we  (I know I do) collect quite a few materials that will come in handy one day😉😃

Thanks guys 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Cookie,  it's getting there now. 

Thanks Roger, I always feel slightly anxious about scratch work but once you start it seems to go well and I wonder what I was worried about in the first place!!!

The tail bumpers were the wrong shape and have turned out well. The foil panels are inspired as most of this is by Johnny's excellent build we followed a while ago of one of these.  

I have quite a supply of foil to use. As modellers we  (I know I do) collect quite a few materials that will come in handy one day😉😃

Thanks guys 

Chris

Ah yes, that old chestnut - wine bottle foil 🤣

• Haha 1

Morning Chris, all this talk of Tiggies reminded me of this - an old build (retirement gift for my wife's boss) - but for some reason one of my all time favourites. It's the ancient Smer 1/48 kit that needed a bit of work but I really enjoyed it - didn't want to give it away in the end! 🤣

Will remove if you don't want it cluttering up your thread :)

Moth 3

Keith

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Nice scratch work that man.

Looking really good.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  pleased with how it’s turning out. Hopefully the tail booms will go on this weekend.

4 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Morning Chris, all this talk of Tiggies reminded me of this - an old build (retirement gift for my wife's boss) - but for some reason one of my all time favourites. It's the ancient Smer 1/48 kit that needed a bit of work but I really enjoyed it - didn't want to give it away in the end! 🤣

Will remove if you don't want it cluttering up your thread :)

Moth 3

Keith

Hi Keith , that's absolutely fine fella, you did a great job on the Smer kit and it looks absolutely splendid , the animation of the figure looks very real too, wonderful,  I am not surprised you didn't want to give it away.

Have you got the new Airfix Kit, it really is lovely Keith and you will really enjoy (I would love Airfix to release a 24th scale Tigermoth,  that would be a joy to have as the detail possibilities would be phenomenal).

Thanks 

Chris

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

it looks absolutely splendid

Thanks Chris, that's very kind of you :)

I haven't got the new Airfix kit, and tbh being a glutton for punishment if I ever see another Smer kit for the same price (£3...!!!) I'd love another go at it! 🤣

Keith

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Thanks Chris, that's very kind of you :)

I haven't got the new Airfix kit, and tbh being a glutton for punishment if I ever see another Smer kit for the same price (£3...!!!) I'd love another go at it! 🤣

Keith

No worries fella, I had an idea about doing the same thing with the Smer Walrus to compare to the Airfix one, however I need to live another 100 years to clear the stash so better not get another, SWMBO would not be pleased either!!!

If I see a Smer one going at a reasonable price I will let you know.  

Chris

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

however I need to live another 100 years to clear the stash so better not get another, SWMBO would not be pleased either!!!

Snap! Although I think I need at least another 3 to 400 years at my build rate...!! We're thinking of 'downsizing' in the next few years so I've spent the morning re-arranging the stash to try and get everything in my model room. And failed miserably....!! 

So if you do see another Smer Tiggie, please don't say anything! 🤣

K

• Haha 1