FAA builds, 32nd Hawker Nimrod ,Seafire now finished, Malta Sea Gladiator now underway.

On 19/05/2023 at 23:14, bigbadbadge said:

One for Richie

Thanks Chris, I can't get enough of that outline! How do you do the fading Chris? It really does look excellent. 

Sorry for the late reply. I couldn't get on yesterday and had to rush out to cricket today. 

Glad your son has agreed to P plates. Hopefully the idiots will leave him in peace while he gets over those first nervous solo drives.

Richie

Edited by RichieW
Missing word.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I'm sure he'll be loving driving soon Chris and you won't be able to get him out of that lovely little car of his!!

Seems endemic in much of modern life unfortunately. I passed my test in 1974 (!!) and the roads were so much quieter it was a lot more pleasant out on them (petrol at around 40p a gallon was good too!)

Keith

Thanks Keith, I was hoping he would bring it along to a Retros meet today, but he said he wasn't feeling well🙄 I knew this was confidence, but he won't listen to me!!! Luckily his Mum had a chat with him and went out in the car with him and got him to do lots of manoeuvres etc and he is happier now and getting used to the car, so fingers crossed. 

Crikey 40p a gallon, wow , can't remember what it was in 87 when I passed my test, I just remember jumping straight I the car and using a tank of fuel very quickly😄😉

1 hour ago, RichieW said:

Thanks Chris, I can't get enough of that outline! How do you do the fading Chris? It really does look excellent. 

Sorry for the late reply. I couldn't get on yesterday and had to rush out to cricket today. 

Glad your son has agreed to P plates. Hopefully the idiots will leave him in peace while he gets over those first nervous solo drives.

Richie

Thanks Richie, I use an old nearly knackered brush that's solid halfway down and use that to paint the faded paint in the middle of the panels, not too much paint on the brush  and fuzzy the edges towards the panel edges.

I couldn't get on yesterday afternoon to today and was at a car meet this morning.

He is happier today and enjoyed his drive, I am relieved and glad he got back to it.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CJP said:

Hi Chris I know it's been said already but I'm blown away by your brush painting skills - the Seafire & Sea Hurricane look great.

Thanks Chris, very kind of you,  having fun with the old Tamiya decals, they are not behaving  well🙄

Chris

Hi all

The decals on the Seafire are done, I don't like Tamiya decals , they are unyielding and I struggled to get them to bed down had to use a lot of softener

spacer.png

Luckily I found some decent Airfix Roundels for the undersides and they conformed to the surface very well indeed. Note Squadron code and serials from the spare decal bank and the codes are MSG.

spacer.png

In process of painting codes Sky

spacer.png

Done

spacer.png

Should I give another coat or leave as is kind of like the dlightly faded look???

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 15

Chris I'd leave the codes as they are because they look right to me. If you go this route you'll need to add some of your amazing paint/weathering effects to the roundels but you were probably doing that anyway! 

I know exactly what you mean about Tamiya decals.  I used to find them to be very thick and no matter what I did they always had a slightly raised edge. 

Wish my hand was as steady as yours and enabled me to paint such beautiful letters!

Richie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, RichieW said:

Chris I'd leave the codes as they are because they look right to me. If you go this route you'll need to add some of your amazing paint/weathering effects to the roundels but you were probably doing that anyway! 

I know exactly what you mean about Tamiya decals.  I used to find them to be very thick and no matter what I did they always had a slightly raised edge. 

Wish my hand was as steady as yours and enabled me to paint such beautiful letters!

Richie

Thanks Richie,  very kind it's certainly fun trying to stay in the lines when colouring in.  I do like them as they are, so thanks fella.

I am not sure about weathering the roundels, I might have to try and fade them a bit too, although as not painted on it may be a bit harder 😄

Chris

• Like 3

Tamiya decals are always pretty horrible aren't they, weird they haven't sorted them out by now seeing as their kits are so good! Whatever, they're looking pretty good on the Seafire Chris! And I like the look of the code letter as is too!

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I am not sure about weathering the roundels, I might have to try and fade them a bit too, although as not painted on it may be a bit harder

I sometimes use small amounts of pastels to weather decals - if you don't like the effect you can just wash them off!

Keith

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

I sometimes use small amounts of pastels to weather decals - if you don't like the effect you can just wash them off!

That's a good idea! I used humbrol weathering powders before too which are much the same thing. I wonder, would applying them in a circular motion would give a painted on look? 

Richie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Agreed.  Another option for fading the blue would be to use a filter of white or light grey oil paint.  Easily wiped off with some sansodor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Tamiya decals are always pretty horrible aren't they, weird they haven't sorted them out by now seeing as their kits are so good! Whatever, they're looking pretty good on the Seafire Chris! And I like the look of the code letter as is too!

Keith

Crikey,  yes Keith I  would have hoped they would have sorted them out.  I only have two other Tamiya kits in the stash and they are fairly old now, so don't know what their latest efforts are like.

The powders are a good call thanks Keith and will definitely be used😉

8 hours ago, RichieW said:

That's a good idea! I used humbrol weathering powders before too which are much the same thing. I wonder, would applying them in a circular motion would give a painted on look? 

Richie

Good suggestion Richie, may give it a try although not sure I can pull that off🤔

8 hours ago, Fritag said:

Agreed.  Another option for fading the blue would be to use a filter of white or light grey oil paint.  Easily wiped off with some sansodor.

Thanks Steve, I forgot about oil dot filtering,  that will work  a treat hopefully.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 4

Looking good Chris.

I agree about the Tamiya Decals though.

I usually use Mr. Mark Softer Neo for them and it works well.

If that doesn't work then UMP Extra Strong usually does the trick.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Looking good Chris.

I agree about the Tamiya Decals though.

I usually use Mr. Mark Softer Neo for them and it works well.

If that doesn't work then UMP Extra Strong usually does the trick.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  I may have to look out for that although I only have two other Tamiya kits in the stash now, so will see.

I have given it a oil wash now and just gone over the undersides again tonight, not much modelling progress as, although I have been off for last 4 days been busy in the garden🙄

Thanks fella

Chris

• Like 1

Chris,

I completely missed your last post (I do have a note?!) Coming along nicely, and glad to see that Tamiya have not ruined what is a lovely build!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

I completely missed your last post (I do have a note?!) Coming along nicely, and glad to see that Tamiya have not ruined what is a lovely build!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,  no worries.  I forgot about how thick they were as been a long time since I built a Tamiya kit.  Still look okay now and once the weathering complete hopefully will look good 🤞

Chris

• Like 3

Hi all

Wash completed on the Seafire and Corsair,  will need to gloss them again for the dot filtering next. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Had to run an olfactory P cutter along the underside panel lines after initially washed as the lines were just rubbed away initially, happier now

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 12

7 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Looking rather good.

Not far to go on either one now.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  pleased with them both so far.  Will give them a day or two to let the oil paint dry and get a filter session underway.

Chris

• Like 2

Looking good Chris, you'll soon have 2 more cracking models on display. You must have a large collection built up at your impressive work rate!

Richie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't read all 85 pages! Just the last ten or so, but I must say this is tremendous work! Much like everyone else here I brush painted when I was a lad and it was nowhere near this standard, I didn't know it were possible to achieve such results without an airbrush.

:gobsmacked:

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Both looking cracking Chris, nice work!

Keith

Thanks Keith, can't wait to see how the filtering goes now and planning some of the next builds, another TT is coming, I may have to pick up the Sea Harrier I have stalled too.

21 hours ago, RichieW said:

Looking good Chris, you'll soon have 2 more cracking models on display. You must have a large collection built up at your impressive work rate!

Richie

Thanks Richie, hopefully not too long now as itching to start some other builds too now. Yes a large display, it's a nightmare to dust though 😄😉

14 hours ago, Clio182 said:

I didn't read all 85 pages! Just the last ten or so, but I must say this is tremendous work! Much like everyone else here I brush painted when I was a lad and it was nowhere near this standard, I didn't know it were possible to achieve such results without an airbrush.

:gobsmacked:

Thanks Clio182.  Very kind. Thanks for visiting the thread.  I find the painting part the best bit really and have never really had anywhere to airbrush, I do have a nice garage now but my car is parked in it so not able to use.  I find just thinning the paint a little generally works well and I do try to achieve some of the effects you airbrushers achieve, but still way off yet.

Give it a go, you might enjoy it😉

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 2

Chris,

Lovely work on the panel line wash - the cutter clearly did the trick! The Corsair is also scrubbing up very nicely,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Will give them a day or two to let the oil paint dry and get a filter session underway.

Looking forward to that. Every stage of your finishing process is executed so well, Chris.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1