FAA builds, 32nd Hawker Nimrod ,Seafires, Beaufighter now finished

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

the Seat belts which are Tamiya masking tape doubled up

Seriously, may I ask why there is a need to double the tape?   I've never used Tamiya tape - is it particularly thin?  

Less seriously - Or do you just like an extra challenge? :hmmm: I can imagine with my ham-fisted approach that I could easily mis-use enough tape to re-cover an Egyptian pyramid inhabitant when trying to achieve the same result.

Great stuff as always Chris

Rob

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

The Hurricane is coming on splendidly and a Corsair and two Seafires.

You are a machine Chris.

Looking forward to more of all of these.

Cheers,

Alistair

😃 Thanks Alistair , I am trying to get quite a few built this year if possible and doing the two Seafires together made sense, the Corsair is one I just couldn't resist  too.  😉

19 minutes ago, Zephyr91 said:

Seriously, may I ask why there is a need to double the tape?   I've never used Tamiya tape - is it particularly thin?  

Less seriously - Or do you just like an extra challenge? :hmmm: I can imagine with my ham-fisted approach that I could easily mis-use enough tape to re-cover an Egyptian pyramid inhabitant when trying to achieve the same result.

Great stuff as always Chris

Rob

Thanks Rob 😄, the tape is thin so folded a length over and stuck it to itself and this makes the belts behave more like the belts than the tape just stuck down .

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Chris,

The Sea Hurricane is looking lovely under some DSG! Impressively rapid work on the Corsair too,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I echo the sentiment on the Sea Hurricane.  It looks really good.

I am looking forward to how you Spitfire conversions turn out too..

Im doing a bit of work on a Fulmar at the moment but I think I am going to start my conversion of a Has Hurricane IIa to a Sea Hurricane IIa soon.  Easy in theory. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

The Sea Hurricane is looking lovely under some DSG! Impressively rapid work on the Corsair too,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, the Sea Hurricane is going well now, pleased with how it looks, will fade it a bit today hopefully as may get some bench time after finally sorting my Son's car yesterday (lots of brownie points earned 😉).

48 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

I echo the sentiment on the Sea Hurricane.  It looks really good.

I am looking forward to how you Spitfire conversions turn out too..

Im doing a bit of work on a Fulmar at the moment but I think I am going to start my conversion of a Has Hurricane IIa to a Sea Hurricane IIa soon.  Easy in theory. 

Thanks GB, there is some lovely detail on the Sea Hurricane with some amazing rivet details.   Good luck with the Sea Hurricane conversion too, are you usingca conversion kit or something like the Airfix Sea Hurricane bits left over from a Hurricane kit?  Must get down to see your Fulmar too .

The MDC conversions look good and the A frame Arrester hook sections fit well, which is a great start😉

41 minutes ago, Alan P said:

This quality production line just keeps going, churning out one masterpiece after another, Chris 🏆

Thanks Alan , very kind, trying to get a few of the larger scale kits done this year,  the Nimrod,  Sea Hurricane are the first, but itching to start a SH Whirlwind, Sea Gladiator and Spit/Seafires too.

Thsnks guys

Chris

• Like 2

How much conversion is needed to convert the Gladiator to a Sea Gladiator? (I'm assuming the ICM kit?) Or the Hurricane to a Sea Hurricane, for that matter?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alan P said:

How much conversion is needed to convert the Gladiator to a Sea Gladiator? (I'm assuming the ICM kit?) Or the Hurricane to a Sea Hurricane, for that matter?

Hi Alan, both kits are the Navalized versions already, the Sea Hurricane is the Fly kit, some lovely details in some places and the ICM Sea Gladiator is lovely too, got some extras to go with that one from AIMS too.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those Corsair belts look very effective Chris, I often use Tamy tape for belts but never thought to double it up - it really does make them look much better.

That Sea Hurri is looking pretty impressive too!

Keith

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Those Corsair belts look very effective Chris, I often use Tamy tape for belts but never thought to double it up - it really does make them look much better.

That Sea Hurri is looking pretty impressive too!

Keith

Thanks Keith, yes it is great stuff and when doubled up behaves quite well.   Pleased with the Sea Hurricane so far. Will start some paint effects now.

Thanks fella

Chris

• Like 2

Plenty going on as ever Chris! The scratched Hurri seat belts are great and as I've said before, you just can't have too many Spitfires. Well Seafires in this case, will there be another training squadron machine? The last one was a stunner. :)

Richie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great to see all the progress Chris. Sorry, buggered off for a while, but looks like you've been very busy! More Seafires, what a treat! Any chance of a wing fold on the III? Hurricane is looking very sharp. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2023 at 10:37 PM, RichieW said:

Plenty going on as ever Chris! The scratched Hurri seat belts are great and as I've said before, you just can't have too many Spitfires. Well Seafires in this case, will there be another training squadron machine? The last one was a stunner. :)

Richie

Thanks Richie,  sorry for my Tardiness in replying,  very kind fella, the next two Seafirss are a II and III , not sure of the schemes yet, will have a think. Really enjoyed the training Seafire.

23 hours ago, Ngantek said:

Great to see all the progress Chris. Sorry, buggered off for a while, but looks like you've been very busy! More Seafires, what a treat! Any chance of a wing fold on the III? Hurricane is looking very sharp. 

Andy

Thanks Andy  and sorry for taking a while to reply.  Not been too busy but hopefully will be very soon.  Two more Seafires on going , I am keen to get the EDSG on the Hurricane but keep finding little bits that stop me🙄

Thanks guys an update to follow.

Chris

• Like 2

Hi all

More progress on the Seafires and something else.  This is one @2996 Victor  will like too.

The Seafires ae progressing with the cockpits together and seatbelts in

spacer.png

Fuselage insides painted washed and dry brushed

spacer.png

Fuselage halves glued together

spacer.png

I have been distracted though for the rest of the evening with this

This was a 1/32 scale Narrow gauge locomotive a Manning Wardle 2-6-2 from the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway.

I added a motor after straighteningvthe valve gear and got it running as was a static display model. I have Bee lucky enough to get this and some other working locos and stock.  Made out of card on Hornby chassis by my late neighbour,  they are amazing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is a size comparison to an OO gauge 14xx  Tank, a recent ebay purchase and future project.

spacer.png

Really pleased that I hot this running this evening.

Sorry for the thread drift

Chris

• Like 12

Chris,

The Seafire cockpits are looking lovely, and some very interesting extra-curricular activities!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff, Chris, that's a fabulous MW! It must feel great to become the custodian of such lovely models and to get them running again. Kudos! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

The Seafires are looking splendid - beautiful interior work.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RichieW said:

Your neighbour was very gifted! Those locos are lovely, it must have felt good to get them running.

Richie

Thanks Richie, yes he was, it is such a shame he passed away, I miss him still and my son and I loved going round to see the railway.  He got me back into model railways again too. I am so pleased to get this one running as always loved these lovely Manning Wardle engines.

13 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Seafires looking good and those locos are nice.

That's a pretty nice distraction.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  will get the fuselages sorted later and  move them along a bit more.  The Railway bits are lovely and looking forward to doing more with them and scratching a couple of locos myself.

9 hours ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

The Seafire cockpits are looking lovely, and some very interesting extra-curricular activities!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, pleased with them,  didn't want to go too far as am  thinking of doing canopies closed as the Tamiya seats look a bit squashed .  The Railway and cars are the other passions,  more on both this year.

9 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Great stuff, Chris, that's a fabulous MW! It must feel great to become the custodian of such lovely models and to get them running again. Kudos! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

The Seafires are looking splendid - beautiful interior work.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark, I couldn't resist, I have since cleaned the loco and another one that I have I the mancave for remotoring after getting that one going too.  I have been given some lovely, Baldwin, and Hunslet locos,  stock and a DMU all Narrow gauge and also an old exhibition layout which is 16ft long.  I intend to restore the layout (once my Son's car is out of my garage) and get it all going again.  I will, I promise do a Railway thread soon.

Thanks guys, apologies for the late replies, have been busy at work and staying on so time for modelling and posting has been somewhat reduced.

Chris

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Looking forward to seeing the layout thread, Chris, will you be exhibiting it at some point?

Cheers,

Mark 

Hi Mark

No, doubt I will do that, going to have to make a frame and set up along a wall in the garage and hinge it incase the space is needed for a car.  I can't wait to run it.

Chris

• Like 3

Hi all

Some progress, starting with a bit of disappointment  with the Seafire 3

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Had some real fun fitting the wings and needed 3 pairs of hands really, but  the wings are smaller than the ones they replaced and have so far used CA and talc to fill, I hate the thought of rubbing down the joins due to the wings being resin, I will wait to get outside and do it when I have the time(and inclination) very annoying.

Due to the hassle with that one, decided to not do the other as a II but as a Ib instead, unfortunately the kit was a Mk1 instead of a Vb 🙄, luckily I had the upper Vb wings from the other one and will have to modify the Mk.1 wing undersides. Bit of a Mojo sapping pair!!!

spacer.png

On the Nimrod,  I have added a plasticard section at the end of the fabric section onbthe port side and added the stringers from 0.3mm rod.

spacer.png

The Sea Hurricane has finally received some EDSG  with a first coat. This is quite pleasing.

Outlines with paint straight from the tin and fuzzing edges using old nearly knackered brush

spacer.png

Thinned paint used to fill in with a larger flat brush

spacer.png

Thanjs for looking in.

Chris

• Like 12

That's a bit of bad luck with the Seafires but i know you will pull a solution out of the hat and they will be stunners.

Talking about stunners the Hurricane is looking fabulous.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1