FAA builds, 32nd Hawker Nimrod ,Seafires, Beaufighter now finished

The Hurricane fuselage has gone together nicely which shows just how precisely you added all those extra details.

The Seafire already has loads of tonal variation and you've not even started to add filters and post shading. It's going to be a little beauty!

Richie

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RichieW said:

The Hurricane fuselage has gone together nicely which shows just how precisely you added all those extra details.

The Seafire already has loads of tonal variation and you've not even started to add filters and post shading. It's going to be a little beauty!

Richie

Thanks Richie, pleased with them both so far, will get another coat on the seafire later.

5 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Excellent stuff all round Chris,

Both looking fantastic.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  both are going well so far, fingers crossed they keep going well😄 

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1

Hi all

More progress, wings  going together after some minimal cleanup, small observation windows chain drilled and cut from the roof of the main undercarriage bay roof

spacer.png

Phew prep work worked quite well on the Arrester hook insert

spacer.png

EDSG completed and faded a bit

spacer.png

I tried making a pink primer for the yellow, although this has gone more seafood sauce !!!

spacer.png

spacer.png

It worked well for the yellow, this is the first thinned coat brushed on

spacer.png

spacer.png

Canopy and main undercarriage legs added

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 13

Chris,

Why do I feel like a prawn cocktail? That's lovely work mate - faded EDSG is just the ticket!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That insert is looking good.

I'm glad the undercoat worked for the Yellow.

It was a funny colour though but it's worked nicely and that's what counts.

The fading on the EDSG looks excellent.

Sterling stuff.

Cheers,

Alistair

1 minute ago, Dunny said:

Why do I feel like a prawn cocktail?

Catching isn't it? :D

• Thanks 1

That arrestor hook insert has gone in with great precision and the inspection window cut outs are very neat. Having spent much of today trying to make 2 inspection windows frames I really know how difficult this can be!

Pink undercoat for yellow? 🤔 I'm making a note of that one, seems to work very well. 

Richie

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Why do I feel like a prawn cocktail? That's lovely work mate - faded EDSG is just the ticket!

Cheers,

Roger

😄Thanks Roger, pleased with the way the Seafire is going, I was going to leave it for another day to paint the yellow, but was getting hungry looking at it so had to paint the yellow😉

6 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

That insert is looking good.

I'm glad the undercoat worked for the Yellow.

It was a funny colour though but it's worked nicely and that's what counts.

The fading on the EDSG looks excellent.

Sterling stuff.

Cheers,

Alistair

Catching isn't it? :D

Thanks Alistair,  yes it was a bit odd, I think the red I used was slightly orangey colour,  will try one that has more of a scarlet tinge next time, however it fiddly work, so pleased with it. 

The insert worked really well, to which I am very relieved.  I have been fettling the UC bay to fit under the cockpit framing and it's finally there, just got to sort out the detail painting now and will be able to get main assembly done.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RichieW said:

That arrestor hook insert has gone in with great precision and the inspection window cut outs are very neat. Having spent much of today trying to make 2 inspection windows frames I really know how difficult this can be!

Pink undercoat for yellow? 🤔 I'm making a note of that one, seems to work very well. 

Richie

Thanks Richie, on this kit you have to cut out the windows and shell ejector case ports too, although the surface detail on the kit is very nice, which compensates.

This eas easier to sort than making your frames from scratch, looking forward to seeing those.

Chris

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Great work on the hook, such a seamless join with all that fabric detail  looks really tricky. The Seafire is looking cracking, that shading and the soft edge is wonderful.

Andy

Thanks Andy, yes very relieved that the hook insert worked out well after the prep work, phew.

Pleased with the Seafire and looking forward to not having to do 5 coats of yellow, by using a pink(ish) primer,  fingers crossed.

Thanks

Chris

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Phew prep work worked quite well on the Arrester hook insert

spacer.png

That's a strange looking undercarriage behind it Chris.... :whistle:

Seriously though, more brilliant brushwork and I still have absolutely no clue how you do that lovely fading with a hairy stick! And I've used the old pink primer until yellow trick on car builds but have never even thought about it on an aircraft.... :doh:

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

That's a strange looking undercarriage behind it Chris.... :whistle:

Seriously though, more brilliant brushwork and I still have absolutely no clue how you do that lovely fading with a hairy stick! And I've used the old pink primer until yellow trick on car builds but have never even thought about it on an aircraft.... :doh:

Keith

😄 thanks Keith, yes I thought I might go a bit Stem Punk in this one,😉 I must get on and build that Rocket loco !!!

I do love getting the faded edges on camouflage,  it is done with a very old knackered brush  that you would normally dispose of but is very handy for this type of work,  just taking a small amount of paint along the line I want to go then as it dries going back along it rubbing the brush along the line and it creates the fades edges, it's great fun.

I saw the pink primer tip on one of Alistair's builds I think and noted and tried it, it was more of a prawn cocktail colour but seems to have worked so far and hopefully won't have too my usual 5 coats, we will see. Normally I am a masochist and do loads of coats🙄

Thanks fella

Chris

• Like 5

Hi all

A bit more progress,  the yellow areas have received 3 coats now, looks like I will still need a couple more🙄

spacer.png

spacer.png

The undercarriage bay windows sorted

spacer.png

Tail plane added and port wing fettled and glued on ready for the stbd wing, note tabs added

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Got to do some minor tidying and can get somewhere near to paint.

Thanks for looking

Chris

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Yellow is looking lovely - not a hint of seafood sauce! Hurri progressing nicely too!!

Cheers,

Roger

Ha thanks Roger, the underside yellow areas look a bit darker still, although I can't figure if that is due to it being next to the Sky colour???

Pleased to get the Sea Hurri airframe together, now I can make that lovely Merlin noise as I fly it around the room!!!😄😉

Chris

• Haha 6

Seafire progress

Stickers going on

spacer.png

But then this,

spacer.png

I am rather embarrassed to say, but I made a schoolboy error and placed the stb underwing serial number on the wrong way round and have had to scrape off.

I donhavectge correct font numbers in the decal stash so have had to place a wanted add for the serial number from the kit if someone has built onebof the other options, what a shame.

The Hurricane has progressed but nothing worthy of photos just yet.

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 8

The Seafire looks so beautiful, I am sure somebody will be along to help soon with a spare decal. I'm thinking one of the many advantages of being organised is that you can have several projects underway so you can keep busy if one has to wait for spares. 

Richie 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Now that looks absolutely splendid.

Sorry to hear about the decal mishap and I hope you can get it sorted.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  I am pleased with how it's going, apart from the serial🙄 hope I can get sorted, will be checking Hannants and Ebay now.

4 minutes ago, RichieW said:

The Seafire looks so beautiful, I am sure somebody will be along to help soon with a spare decal. I'm thinking one of the many advantages of being organised is that you can have several projects underway so you can keep busy if one has to wait for spares. 

Richie 

Thanks Richie, it is looking good, I have plenty of builds to be getting on with, just about to start a whirlwind,fettle the Sea Hurricane and I am itching to get more on the Nimrod done along with a couple more Seafires (a II and a III), so many models, so little time!!!

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 2

Chris,

I've had a dig through the decal box but don't have anything in the required font but I do have it on the PC.

If you need it I can cut a mask and send you that.

Matching the colour may be an issue but if you want them give me a shout.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Chris,

I've had a dig through the decal box but don't have anything in the required font but I do have it on the PC.

If you need it I can cut a mask and send you that.

Matching the colour may be an issue but if you want them give me a shout.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  that's very kind ilof you, but i have had a good look through my decal folder and I have managed to find the suitable decals of various colours,  so I think I may be okay.  I will leave the wanted thread running for now just incase but may be able to paint over the letters in black, fingers crossed.

Really appreciate your very kind offer Alistair thank you.

Chris

• Like 2