FAA builds, 32nd Hawker Nimrod ,Seafire now finished

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Lovely work.

I'm going to have to eat more pies. Between that and wine bottle foil for seatbelts, I can see cockpits can be bad for your health!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,  yes manufacturers will have to put health warnings on the kit boxes if they don't supply a super detailed cockpit😄😉

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 14/12/2021 at 16:49, bigbadbadge said:

Hi all 

Finally the Anson is complete,  I started the year with a yellow Twin engined Ventura and finished the year with another yellow Twin too.

I have enjoyed this slow build and would like to thank all those who have offered me support and encouragement along the way  thank you so much and also need to thank @tonyot for his invaluable info, thank you very much,  really appreciated fella,  Max @galgos for sending me the replacement nose glazing after having a mishap with mine, thank you Max, you saved the build. 

Tha faithful Annie is finished

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thank you everyone  I hope it meets with your approval. 

Thanks for your support

Chris

Outstanding  Finish.

Erk.

On 14/12/2021 at 16:49, bigbadbadge said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

A nice start on the Nimrod Chris, and some neat work on that Seafire cockpit. Nice to see things have progressed (in their usual fashion) over xmas and new year!

Terry

Thanks Terry, yes have been busy, finished the Sea Venom and a lovely PR.IV Spitfire too, hope to build a few more larger scale models this year. 

Not sure I will continue with the Seafire yet due to the Shape issues and corrections needed so will see, was hoping for a simple Mojo replenishing build there😄

1 hour ago, galgos said:

I’m going to have to make one of your pie-tin seats Chris for my Nimrod, looks very much the dog’s dangles! Well done chum. 

Thanks Max, pleased witb the seat, and was surprised how quickly it came together too.

The Nimrod kit is lovely and just need to get outside to rub down some 3D print lines and can progress a bit further with it.

14 minutes ago, ERK said:

Erk.

Thanks ERK, very kind, great to see the Annie again , really pleased with that one.  

Thanks guys 

Chris

• Like 1

The Sea Hurricane cockpit frame looks really promising. The gee bee is really beautiful, what a quirky little kite it is. You really got the yellow paint to ping. 

Richie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ERK said:

Very very  interesting thread,   my late farther  was  an enginner  in  the  Fleet Air Arm  during WW2    working on most  of  them.

Erk.

Thanks ERK, very kind, I am glad you found it interesting, oh wow, did your father keep a log of aircraft he worked on as would make great modelling opportunities for you, it is amazing to have a connection in a model   I have completed some that were on one of my father's ships in the thread.  

Got further WW2 FAA subjects to come too.

16 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Sterling stuff Chris.

Looking forward to more progress on the Sea Hurricane

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  pleased with the way it went together although I could have done with another pair of hands at the time.  Will look great when all the extra bits go on too.

7 hours ago, RichieW said:

The Sea Hurricane cockpit frame looks really promising. The gee bee is really beautiful, what a quirky little kite it is. You really got the yellow paint to ping. 

Richie

Thanks Richie, will get some more done on the Sea Hurricane later and hopefully get some paint on some of it. Fingers crossed. 

The Gee Bee is turning out well, much better than I expected.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 3

My farther  used to  talk to me  about  his  work  on  -  "String bags"   (Swordfish)   Sea Vampire and  Venom,   Sea Spits  and Hurricanes,  Corsairs  and  few others  I can't remember,   his  last  job  during the  end of the war  was  to  part  dismantle some FAA   fighters  that had been lend leased  to Australia  he  went down there to work on them  -  they  where  then crated  up  and shipped  back over  here.

Erk. 

• Like 3

Chris,

Gee Bee cowling looks lovely with paint on - still don't understand how you get such a lovely gloss finish with a brush!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ERK said:

My farther  used to  talk to me  about  his  work  on  -  "String bags"   (Swordfish)   Sea Vampire and  Venom,   Sea Spits  and Hurricanes,  Corsairs  and  few others  I can't remember,   his  last  job  during the  end of the war  was  to  part  dismantle some FAA   fighters  that had been lend leased  to Australia  he  went down there to work on them  -  they  where  then crated  up  and shipped  back over  here.

Erk. 

Wow, that must have been fascinating to hear about the Aircraftcand antics.  Great gems that are passed down .  Bet the trip to Australia was enjoyed.

There are more Stringbags, Sea Gladiators,  Seafires, Barracuda,  Fireflies, a Corsair, Sea Heron, Walrus , Dominie and some more to come yet.  

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Chris - that Gee Bee.... mmmmmmm lovely.... :nodding:

Keith

Thanks Keith, I have just added the final decals, not all as some refused to behave  rolled up and broke up🙄 I agree though it does look good. 

55 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Gee Bee cowling looks lovely with paint on - still don't understand how you get such a lovely gloss finish with a brush!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, always liked Humbrol 85 for painting it is just a very easy paint to use, didn't even need to thin that one.  Just got the belts on the seat and the canopy to sort and it's done.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 3

I have the  New Tool  Airfix  1/48  Hurricane  in my stash  that I will  build  as  a  Sea Hurricane  as it has  both  tail  undersides  with the  hook  and recess.

Erk.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ERK said:

I have the  New Tool  Airfix  1/48  Hurricane  in my stash  that I will  build  as  a  Sea Hurricane  as it has  both  tail  undersides  with the  hook  and recess.

Erk.

That's a lovely kit,  it goes together very well, enjoy that one.

Chris 

44 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

That's a lovely kit,  it goes together very well, enjoy that one.

Chris 

Thank you  kindly,     for  now  I am  stuck into  my long term WIP   my Waterloo   Dio  in the  Figures  and  Dio   sections.

Erk.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ERK said:

Thank you  kindly,     for  now  I am  stuck into  my long term WIP   my Waterloo   Dio  in the  Figures  and  Dio   sections.

Erk.

Ooooooo crikey that sounds interesting will take a look .

Chris

• Like 1

Having just spent an enjoyable two and a half days reading from page 1 of this thread, I just have to add a commwent or 3 as this is just awesome stuff.  No, not awesome, awetotally (some would imply parts of it wasn't! 😁).

As a "returner" who hasn't built anything for 35+years I have been soaking up all the good stuff in this and similar threads to a point where I might just have the confdence to have a go.   But the point I want to make is to say a big thanks to you as thread leader, and to all the other contributors here, for both education and entertainment and ethos generated.  Absolutely love it.  I now even know what this mysterious "Telford" is  😉

My stash (64) was mostly collected in the late 1970's and early 1980's so contains some attractive (if now thought inaccurate) and not rare, subjects along with a lot of old paints (some of which are still "good").   But how I'll manage to do anything and still keep up with what's occurin on these threads will be a major challenge.

Sorry to ramble, but thanks again.  Fantastic stuff.

Rob

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Zephyr91 said:

But how I'll manage to do anything and still keep up with what's occurin on these threads will be a major challenge.

Don't worry about that Rob, get stuck in have fun! When I came back to the hobby I found so much help and inspiration from the good folk on this amazing forum.

Richie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zephyr91 said:

Having just spent an enjoyable two and a half days reading from page 1 of this thread, I just have to add a commwent or 3 as this is just awesome stuff.  No, not awesome, awetotally (some would imply parts of it wasn't! 😁).

As a "returner" who hasn't built anything for 35+years I have been soaking up all the good stuff in this and similar threads to a point where I might just have the confdence to have a go.   But the point I want to make is to say a big thanks to you as thread leader, and to all the other contributors here, for both education and entertainment and ethos generated.  Absolutely love it.  I now even know what this mysterious "Telford" is  😉

My stash (64) was mostly collected in the late 1970's and early 1980's so contains some attractive (if now thought inaccurate) and not rare, subjects along with a lot of old paints (some of which are still "good").   But how I'll manage to do anything and still keep up with what's occurin on these threads will be a major challenge.

Rob

Wow, thanks Rob for taking the timecto read the thread, that's amazing.  Thank you also for your very kind comments too.  It's a great forum to share builds and share knowledge too.   There are some great older kits, I like some of the older kits as a great starting point for extra details,  but there are also amazing modern kits and some great subjects available now .

You really don't have to worry about keeping up  I don't,  I struggle to keep up with some modellers who build loads, I don't know how they do it, work and family life mean I can't do more myself.

Just enjoy what you build,  it is a hobby after all and as Richie said ger stuck in !!! 

Thanks Rob and welcome to BM too.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Zephyr91 said:

Rob

Come on Rob, 

Have no fear, jump in !!

There are lots of helpful loonies modellers on here !!

Nimrod huh !!

Is that an incentive to restart mine ?? :smirk::smirk:

Great work on the Seafire too Chris !!

My next one will surely be a Culham one....

Yes, our tentacled friend is to be blamed for this....:rofl2::rofl2:

I posted some pics I took in Duxford on my Fury and Nimrod thread !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Nimrod huh !!

Is that an incentive to restart mine ?? :smirk::smirk:

Great work on the Seafire too Chris !!

My next one will surely be a Culham one....

Yes, our tentacled friend is to be blamed for this....:rofl2::rofl2:

I posted some pics I took in Duxford on my Fury and Nimrod thread !!

Sincerely.

CC

Crikey I haven't seen that thread for a while will have a check and see what  piccies there are and progress.  

Thanks CC

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2023 at 2:37 PM, Zephyr91 said:

But how I'll manage to do anything and still keep up with what's occurin on these threads will be a major challenge.

19 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

You really don't have to worry about keeping up  I don't,  I struggle to keep up with some modellers who build loads, I don't know how they do it, work and family life mean I can't do more myself.

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Come on Rob, 

Have no fear, jump in !!

There are lots of helpful loonies modellers on here !!

Wot Chris and CC said, Rob.  I’m a notoriously slow builder - with not infrequent breaks in a build - but folks on here are generous and we all go along happily at whatever pace suits.

On 1/17/2023 at 8:20 PM, keefr22 said:

Chris - that Gee Bee.... mmmmmmm lovely.... :nodding:

Seconded; and as Roger said:

On 1/17/2023 at 9:35 PM, Dunny said:

still don't understand how you get such a lovely gloss finish with a brush!

Sea Hurricane cockpit structure’s looking jolly neat too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3