FAA builds, 32nd Hawker Nimrod ,Seafires, Beaufighter now finished

On 4/27/2023 at 4:38 AM, AliGauld said:

Looks absolutely splendid.

The paintwork is up to your usual sublime standards.

Yes that goes for me too.  Just take as read my usual praise for your brushwork, Chris ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fritag said:

Yes that goes for me too.  Just take as read my usual praise for your brushwork, Chris ;)

Thanks Steve, that's really kind of you.   Getting exciting now as getting towards the finish of this one.

Just got to be careful not to break  any bits off now😬

Chris

• Like 3

Hi all

Further progress on the Sea Hurricane

I put a matt varnish (Windsor and Newton) and it went glossy, even after a long shake in the bottle, a tad annoying.

spacer.png

The undercarriage bay doors have been cut down, I could only find one photo  so it may be correct or incorrect ?

spacer.png

The Vacform sliding canopy section was cut and the photo etch handles added inside, exhausts added too.

spacer.png

Thanks gor looking in

Chris

• Like 13

32 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Just a bit  - I've had that happen when spraying the stuff too Chris.....

Hopefully another coat may kill the shine.

Keith

Crikey, that is annoying Keith, just when you think your getting to yhe finish!!!🙄 I did try a second coat and it reduced a bit, I will wait for 24 hours to try again , if that doesn't work will try some Humbrol matt varnish. Fingers crossed 😉

Chris

• Like 2

Chris,

Nothing more frustrating than a matt coat that isn't... matt 😡 I'm sure if you try again all will be fine. Hurri and Corsair are both looking lovely,

Cheers

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Nothing more frustrating than a matt coat that isn't... matt 😡 I'm sure if you try again all will be fine. Hurri and Corsair are both looking lovely,

Cheers

Roger

Thanks Roger, yes very annoying will give it another coat later today and see what happens, so fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, RichieW said:

The gloss matt varnish must have been highly annoying but the model does look excellent. You'll soon have the finish sorted out. 

Richie

Thanks Richie, yes definitely annoying,  however, will see how another coat goes later.  If it does the same will have to switch to enamel varnish.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Doesn't look too bad. 

No it looks flippin' great! I like the different shades on the wings - nice touch!

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey, that is annoying Keith, just when you think your getting to yhe finish!!!

Wasn't too bad tbh Chris, I just re-sprayed with a laquer varnish I knew would work, I just wanted to use the W&N to avoid the smell....!! 

K

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

No it looks flippin' great! I like the different shades on the wings - nice touch!

Wasn't too bad tbh Chris, I just re-sprayed with a laquer varnish I knew would work, I just wanted to use the W&N to avoid the smell....!! 

K

Thanks Keith, I am quite pleased with the Corsair, will get the decals on and see how it looks then. 

Ahh yes, I see what you mean , I am so used to the smell of the enamels I don't notice it, I've gone noseblind😉

Chris

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Looks good Chris,

I've never had a problem with their varnishes.

That must be a tad annoying.

The Corsair is looking excellent.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  the Corsair now has decals and quite pleased with it.  Yes it is a bit frustrating,  however it's only a model I suppose.  I have got it to more of a satin finish now, but may try some Humbrol matt on a small area to see how that goes, fingers crossed

Chris

• Like 3

On 4/29/2023 at 10:37 PM, keefr22 said:

Just a bit  - I've had that happen when spraying the stuff too Chris.....

I’ve just had the same when spraying Tamiya lacquer matt clear (over a previous coat of semi-gloss).  Hoping that a second or third light coat will fix it.  I hate that with Matt clear coats.  Yet to find a 100% reliable one.  Thought I had with the Tamiya lacquer,

Have to say that the Hurricane is looking marvellous; that vacform canopy is a fine addition.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

I’ve just had the same when spraying Tamiya lacquer matt clear (over a previous coat of semi-gloss).  Hoping that a second or third light coat will fix it.  I hate that with Matt clear coats.  Yet to find a 100% reliable one.  Thought I had with the Tamiya lacquer,

Have to say that the Hurricane is looking marvellous; that vacform canopy is a fine addition.

Thanks Steve , yes it is frustrating,  I hope the next coats work.  I have gone over it with Humbrol enamels matt varnish and it is slightly more matt now so might try a second coat of that later on as well.

I nearly screwed up the vacform canopy but have just about got away with it, just painting the framing  now.

Thanks

Chris

• Like 5

Hi all

I have very nearly finished the Sea Hurricane with the prop added, canopy added, some chipping and exhaust staining,  still got to add the carb air intake grill and aerial wire and matt varnish the fabric section of the fuselage. I managed to get the rest of it matt varnished again after two coats of Humbrol enamel varnish I went back over it with the Windsor and Newton Galeria matt and it worked thankfully.

Last images of this one before an RFI thread.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Corsair has all the decals on, not many thankfully as always ground Revell decals quite unyielding but they weren't too bad.

Now got to start weathering😬

spacer.png

spacer.png

I still have one of the Seafires to complete, not sure whether to continue with the Seafire III though as the wings are a bit untidy for me and slightly smaller than the wingroot area so will consider my options there.

I will be doing the Nimrod and some non FAA projects, the cockpit of one of them, an RAAF machine can be seen in the last Hurricane image.

Thanks for looking

Chris

• Like 15

That's a proper matt finish on the Sea Hurri. I knew you would achieve a perfect finish after the initial varnish didn't work out. Those are great exhaust stains, very convincing. 

Corsairs, to me, are among the funkiest of WWII fighters. Yours is looking fab, a perfect canvas for your well honed weathering techniques. 

So many builds going on, can't believe the mojo got misplaced a few weeks back!

Richie

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RichieW said:

That's a proper matt finish on the Sea Hurri. I knew you would achieve a perfect finish after the initial varnish didn't work out. Those are great exhaust stains, very convincing. 

Corsairs, to me, are among the funkiest of WWII fighters. Yours is looking fab, a perfect canvas for your well honed weathering techniques. 

So many builds going on, can't believe the mojo got misplaced a few weeks back!

Richie

Thanks Richie, finally got the matt to work,  the staining is Humbrol weathering powders.  I just hope I can weather the Corsair now😬 , I think the issues with the Seafire conversions and the Hurricane drained the Mojo, but it's back.

Thanks

Chris

• Like 2

Great stuff, Chris.  The flat coat stage of your builds is always the moment they cease to be plastic models and become quality replicas, they get their identity so to speak. Looking forward to the Corsair taking on its persona soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mark.au said:

Great stuff, Chris.  The flat coat stage of your builds is always the moment they cease to be plastic models and become quality replicas, they get their identity so to speak. Looking forward to the Corsair taking on its persona soon.

Thanks Mark,  love this part all the work comes together and the flat coat ties all the paint together nicely.

, although the RAAF build coming up will be slightly glossy!!! Fingers crossed the Corsair weathering goes well😬

Chris

• Like 1

Waow, waow waoooow !!

Congratulations Chris !!

I really love the Corsair !!

The Sea Hurri is a beauty too !!!

I stay in :gobsmacked::gobsmacked:

Can't wait to see the RFIs

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1