Name that B-25!

TonyOD

Help me out? I built this B-25 maybe 12 or 13 years ago (long since lost), probably OOB. it's a Mitchell, clearly, but I can't for the life of me remember what kit it was and can't find it on Scalemates. Can anyone identify it? 

Thanks in advance.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, elger said:

looks like Revell's reboxing of the 1/72 Hasegawa kit https://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=594

Looks like the Hasegawa kit to me. as well- you can see the too small diameter of the cowling openings, which was characteristic of the 1/72  Hasegawa/Revell reboxed  Mitchells.

Mike

BTW- nice model!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

BTW- nice model!

Thanks. I think it was only about the fifth I built, and my first go at anything bigger than a single-prop fighter. I fancy another run at it. Developed a bit of a taste for Mitchells, I've picked up and Airfix Mk II (which I gather is essentially the same as a C/D) and an Italeri G in the last couple of weeks. Lower time investment than a four-engined heavy innit.

Edited by TonyOD

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

and an Italeri G in the last couple of weeks

That was  a smart move, as the Italeri glass nosed C/D kit nose transparency had  the wrong profile- their G kit not only had an accurate nose, but also had the correct rear fuselage depth, as their H/J kits with the tail gun position had a rear fuselage that was too shallow. IIRC, the bulkhead at the rear of the cockpit should be open with a canvas curtain instead of solid as the kit part comes...I think that's right, but it's been a long isince I fooled with the Italeri kits. (I will check that next time I get up to the modeing room/kit mausoleum.) Going to do your G in the sea search OD/white scheme? Very handsome!

Mike

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

That was  a smart move

Trust me, nothing I do in the sphere of modelling is a smart move. At best it's a happy accident! 😉

I'm learning a lot about B-25s here. With the G there are four OD options out of the box, but I fancied doing it in silver like my J from years ago. This is partly because it has raised panel lines, with an all silver scheme I wouldn't bother scribing them, I'd just keep it clean and shiny. I can't seem to turn up any aftermarket decals for the G that offer anything other than OD though, hence my interest in revisiting the J. The kit has a glazed nose that isn't used in the G build, if I slapped that on instead of the solid nose would I have a C/D then? I'm sure there's a lot more to all the different variants than windows in the nose and position of the upper turret,..

Edited by TonyOD

Yes, you could substitute  the glass nose for the cannon nose, but the way Italeri engineered the interior of the bombardier's position, it is almost impossible to detail it, and the transparency slopes too much from the cockpit bulkhead to the nose, and is too narrow in plan view. I would think it would be almost impossible to find a B-25G in either bare metal or that had been stripped of its camouflage paint, unless it was being used as a hack or transport, which is unlikely as the G had fewer crew positions than the C/D/J. I have linked a photo of a G finished in the sea sea search scheme- complete with sharkmouth and the seldom retained remotely operared ventral turret!

Mike

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/291959988325749605/