A Way to Dusty Death... Stug IIIs on the Road to Kyiv, 1941

Tim R-T-C

Hello all,

I was probably going to pass on this GB since I normally leave AFVs for my wife to build, but while stocking up on support vehicles at Arrowhead Minatures I found they were selling off Stug III models cheap and "accidentally" ordered five... 😏

spacer.png

These are obviously some of their older kits with only four parts (and a mysterious extra length of track) so assembly with the Gorilla stuff was pretty quick and I have a nice Stug stash.

spacer.png

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Like 5

• Tim R-T-C changed the title to 48 Hour Blitz Build - 5 Stugs on the Road to Kyiv 1941

So making this my primary build for the weekend so lets see if I can get the whole thing built!

spacer.png

Painted up. Of course they are all grey.

You might notice a couple of extra support vehicles in there too.

spacer.png

Made a quick base on a canvas. Going for a dusty road somewhere in the Ukraine feel - trying to avoid the traditional mud or snow look for Russian campaign scenes.

Managed to scour some decals - numbers from my spares bin and crosses and unit symbols one of my wife's Dragon Panzer Corps kits which come with strangely extensive decal sheets.

• Like 4

• Tim R-T-C changed the title to Speed Build - 5 Stugs on the Road to Kyiv 1941

Had to slow down slightly, had unexpected family concerns, but managed to dust up and glue down the vehicles and seperate some whitemetal figures from their bases. Also dug out a selection of stowage and accessories for the vehicles.

Priming and painting to do during the week.

spacer.png

• Like 4

• Tim R-T-C changed the title to Completed Speed Build - 5 Stugs on the Road to Kyiv, 1941

So now complete, added a selection of tools and some mail sacks for the Kubelwagen.

I'll take some gallery pics this weekend, but the finished article looks something like this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for good support and encouragement, glad I didn't skip this one. 😁

• Like 3

Hi Tim! Fantastic work in such a small scale! Glad you got them finished. Don't forget to add five photos of the StuGs to the Gallery. Thank you for taking part in this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Hi Tim,

Love it! You had me scrambling though for the scale. Am I correct 1/144? 

Ray

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Those heady early days of Barbarossa. Before the mud, before the snow, before the blood and despair.

We drove for days along those endless Ukrainian roads, passing eternal wheat fields. Everything seemed so easy; but as days became weeks became months, these unending roads became nothing but a way to dusty death...

spacer.png

• Like 4

• Tim R-T-C changed the title to A Way to Dusty Death... Stug IIIs on the Road to Kyiv, 1941

Hi Tim. Great to see these made it into the Gallery!! Fantastic result! Thank you for building them for this STGB! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1