RAF Sabres

jaw

I am planning to model a slatted wing  RAF Sabre in 1/48th scale, using a conversion kit from Red Roo (?) bought some years back. My question is what was the finish on the area of the upper wing surface - where the slats were when extended - camo, silver or chromate green, and like wise the colours of the inside of the slats when extended - silver/chromate green. The outer surface might well have been either silver or PRU blue.  Perhaps Saberjet can advise?

Thanks,

John

Thank you Sabrejet - that answers my question but what about the underside of the slats? silver/nmf??

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaw said:

Thank you Sabrejet - that answers my question but what about the underside of the slats? silver/nmf??

John

That's going to be more difficult but for now I'd say NMF.

11 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

That's going to be more difficult but for now I'd say NMF.

Would chromate green have been more sensible choice for corrosion control? 

59 minutes ago, Julien said:

Would chromate green have been more sensible choice for corrosion control? 

I don't think so in this case. Gear bays and interior of the speed brakes yes, but other applications left these areas NMF, or silver-painted at least.

• Like 1

IIRC, I recall seeing a NAA factory photo and the underside of the slats and slat rails were all natural metal; on nmf Sabres, the slat wells were unpainted as well, IIRC. I'm no @Sabrejet, but I'll try to find that photo. There is a photo in the Squadron Signal Aircraft Walkaround 5521 on the F-86 Sabre that shows the underside of the slats on a USAF Korean War Sabre, if you have that reference.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

IIRC, I recall seeing a NAA factory photo and the underside of the slats and slat rails were all natural metal; on nmf Sabres, the slat wells were unpainted as well, IIRC. I'm no @Sabrejet, but I'll try to find that photo. There is a photo in the Squadron Signal Aircraft Walkaround 5521 on the F-86 Sabre that shows the underside of the slats on a USAF Korean War Sabre, if you have that reference.

Mike

Mike, it's specifically RAF camouflage Sabres we're talking about: any underside slat photos I've located so far could be either PRU Blue of NMF: difficult to say on B&W photos. No colour shots that I can find so far.

My bad! I would think the slat wells would be painted in the appropriate camouflage  color, as that would be a big area of shiny metal when they were extended, and would tend to give the aircraft away from above or when on the ground, but not so sure about the underside inner surface of the slats. You don't have a color photo of the  underside of the slats and the rails on an RAF camouflaged  Sabre- not even in your book? (Which I have, BTW!)  Will wonders never cease! :giggle:

Mike

All of the photos I have of extended slats,. slat wells, and slat rails are for natural metal Sabres.