Spitfire V engine fuel line connection information/reference needed

elger

Hello all,

I'm making progress on fitting a Tamiya single stage Merlin engine to a Hobbyboss Spitfire (build thread here: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235090354-132-spitfire-priv-hobbyboss-wtamiya-engine-alistair-mcdonalds-aa783-lost-march-13th-1942/)

I've got most of the plumbing and wiring of the engine figured out, but I can't seem to get any clear idea of how the fuel line is connected to the engine. I do know the point where it comes out of the firewall, but does anyone have access to any diagrams or photos that show how and where the fuel line (or tube or hose) is that comes from the firewall is connected to the engine? Any information is greatly appreciated!

3 hours ago, elger said:

how the fuel line is connected to the engine.

Well it isn't. It comes out of the firewall, through the fuel filter, and terminates at the carburettor.

2 hours ago, elger said:

That is indeed helpful! Thanks!From firewall to fuel filter.. and then to the engine. Still curious about that part.

merlin25.gif

Item 42 is the fuel pump inlet, the pipe shown on the bottom left of the diagram Ray posted above connects here. 

11 minutes ago, Paws4thot said:

Well it isn't. It comes out of the firewall, through the fuel filter, and terminates at the carburettor.

As above, the pipe from the fuel filter terminates at the fuel pump inlet, pipework form the fuel pump to the carburettor is all part of the engine plumbing.

The key to the diagram above:

1 Coolant outlets; 2 De-icing connection to propeller; 3 Vacuum pump inlet; 4 Vacuum pump return; 5 Engine mounting feet; 6 Oil pressure gauge connection; 7 Oil thermometer gauge connection; 8 De-icing inlet connection; 9 Coolant inlet to cylinder; 10 Dowty pump drain; 11 Oil inlet; 12 Coolant pump outlet; 13 Coolant pump inlet; 14 Starter motor terminals; 15 Supercharger bearing vent; 16 Slow-running cut-off lever; 17 Oil outlet; 18 Constant-speed propeller governor unit; 19 Wheelcase breather vent; 20 Magneto earthing connection; 21 Magneto booster coil connection; 22 Throttle control levers (alternative); 23 Boost gauge connection; 24 Cabin heater connection; 25 Haywood air compressor outlet; 26 I.A.E. pump delivery; 27 I.A.E. pump drain; 28 I.A.E. pump inlet; 29 Fuel priming connection; 30 Propeller shaft; 31 Crankcase breather; 32 Engine starting handle; 33 Fire extinguishing system inlet; 34 R.A.E. air compressor oil inlet; 35 R.A.E. air compressor air inlet; 36 R.A.E. air compressor air & oil outlet; 37 Engine-speed indicator drive; 38 R.A.E. air compressor drain; 39 Boost control cut-out lever; 40 Two-speed supercharger control; 41 Fuel pump drain; 42 Fuel pump inlet; 43 Fuel priming connection to fuel pump; 44 Oil dilution connection; 45 Fuel pressure gauge connection; 46 Lockheed pump drain; 47 Electric generator terminals; 48 Electric generator air cooling inlet; 49 Electric generator air cooling outlet;

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Paws4thot said:

I should have been more specific - this is the area I am interested in: how is that line connected from the fuel filter to the carburetor?

23 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Item 42 is the fuel pump inlet, the pipe shown on the bottom left of the diagram Ray posted above connects here. 

As above, the pipe from the fuel filter terminates at the fuel pump inlet, pipework form the fuel pump to the carburettor is all part of the engine plumbing.

The key to the diagram above:

1 Coolant outlets; 2 De-icing connection to propeller; 3 Vacuum pump inlet; 4 Vacuum pump return; 5 Engine mounting feet; 6 Oil pressure gauge connection; 7 Oil thermometer gauge connection; 8 De-icing inlet connection; 9 Coolant inlet to cylinder; 10 Dowty pump drain; 11 Oil inlet; 12 Coolant pump outlet; 13 Coolant pump inlet; 14 Starter motor terminals; 15 Supercharger bearing vent; 16 Slow-running cut-off lever; 17 Oil outlet; 18 Constant-speed propeller governor unit; 19 Wheelcase breather vent; 20 Magneto earthing connection; 21 Magneto booster coil connection; 22 Throttle control levers (alternative); 23 Boost gauge connection; 24 Cabin heater connection; 25 Haywood air compressor outlet; 26 I.A.E. pump delivery; 27 I.A.E. pump drain; 28 I.A.E. pump inlet; 29 Fuel priming connection; 30 Propeller shaft; 31 Crankcase breather; 32 Engine starting handle; 33 Fire extinguishing system inlet; 34 R.A.E. air compressor oil inlet; 35 R.A.E. air compressor air inlet; 36 R.A.E. air compressor air & oil outlet; 37 Engine-speed indicator drive; 38 R.A.E. air compressor drain; 39 Boost control cut-out lever; 40 Two-speed supercharger control; 41 Fuel pump drain; 42 Fuel pump inlet; 43 Fuel priming connection to fuel pump; 44 Oil dilution connection; 45 Fuel pressure gauge connection; 46 Lockheed pump drain; 47 Electric generator terminals; 48 Electric generator air cooling inlet; 49 Electric generator air cooling outlet;

This is fantastic. Now I'm wondering what 43 connects to eventually

45 minutes ago, elger said:

This is fantastic. Now I'm wondering what 43 connects to eventually

I don't think it's normally connected to anything, It will be blanked. It will be used during maintenance to prime the pump for first use or in case the the pump has run dry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1