Dauntless! Academy SBD-2

This is the 1/48 Academy Dauntless. I chose to interpret an SBD-2 from VMSB-241, based on Midway Atoll in 1942 and, I assume, one of the planes used in the fabled attack on the Japanese fleer in June.

Since it was first produced by Accurate Miniatures, this vintage kit has justifiably developed a reputation as the definitive kit of the Dauntless in this scale. It’s well engineered, with great fit and a level of detail that requires no after-market parts. However, having chosen to represent it in-flight, I had to invest in a gunner from PJ Productions and requisition a pilot from a Tamiya Corsair.

Also - as one of the distinctive features of the Dauntless was its surface texture - I decided to cover the thing in raised rivets. I initially tried HGW wet transfers, but found these to be useless; all the rivets floated away from the backing film with every attempt. I landed on Archer rivets, which performed excellently. I couldn’t quite get every row with complete accuracy, but they give an impression of the bristling surface of the airframe and provided a good structure to paint and weather.

The process of painting it was one of the main attractions of building this plane. Perhaps I went a little overboard given this specific variant, but I was inspired by the many beautiful shots of the Dauntless’ mottled, patched and damaged paintwork - a story in color and texture.  I used mostly Mission Model paints; they layer well and lend themselves to subtle effects built over time.

Although I recommend the kit wholeheartedly, I think the decals in the original Accurate Miniatures boxing might be better; the big roundels were all out of register.

sbd-5

sbd-6

sbd-11 sbd-3 sbd-2 sbd-4 sbd-10 sbd-8

sbd-9

Edited by TimT
no photos
  • Like 69
  • Thanks 3

Astounding paintwork and weathering... truly remarkable skills on display! 

I see a lot of posts from people commenting on photos of a various finished models, saying that they "look just like a photo of the real plane" etc. etc.:  this is the first time I've truly thought the same.  Outstanding.

• Like 1

Brilliant work there Tim, you've really captured the look and feel of this historic aircraft. Love the figures which I assume are modified and the open dive brakes, they add perfectly to the sense drama. Superb model and paint job well done.

• Like 1

I'm actually speechless

That is an incredible representation of the Dauntless and it's crew in action

You can actually feel the drama and the tension which has been further enhanced with some excellent photography

Thank you for posting

Great work

Cheers

Nut

• Like 1

The first thing that caught my eye was the pilot figure. Incredibly well done. I don't think I've ever seen it done that well before. The results of your work are highly impressive. You can be justifiably proud of that one.

• Like 1

Thanks very much everyone for the encouraging comments - much appreciated! It was a long build so this is a nice reward for all the work. Cheers.

What a stunning model, the paint effects are fantastic you have done a cracking job .  Like the weathering very much.  I used the HGW rivets on a 32nd scale Spitfire,  they went on okay but are almost invisible.   I wish I had gone for the Archer ones but could see any at the time. Your use of the Archer rivets is superb they do look good and must have cost a fair bit.  

Great job 

Chris 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

What a stunning model, the paint effects are fantastic you have done a cracking job .  Like the weathering very much.  I used the HGW rivets on a 32nd scale Spitfire,  they went on okay but are almost invisible.   I wish I had gone for the Archer ones but could see any at the time. Your use of the Archer rivets is superb they do look good and must have cost a fair bit.  

Great job 

Chris 

Between the gunner and the rivets, it was easy to double the price of the kit. But worth it in the end; this one keep me going for about 6 moths, which is a fair price for that much entertainment. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TimT said:

Between the gunner and the rivets, it was easy to double the price of the kit. But worth it in the end; this one keep me going for about 6 moths, which is a fair price for that much entertainment. 

Yes agreed definitely worth it and I always say that to SWMBO if you divide the cost over the time it takes to build, it's infact the best value for money!!!

You have done such a cracking job on your Dauntless. 

Chris 

• Like 1

Yes I can only echo all these comments. Realistic weathering is always complicated and not even a fast thing. You’ve done justice to it. This faded colours, all the small scratches are looking perfect and realistic. Nothing is overdone, or looking strange! The pilots were also the first thing that I saw, have to say: wonderful!
Congratulations for this one! 👍👍👍👍

Cheers 

Andy 

• Like 1