1/32 Moebius Fantastic Voyage Proteus Diorama

Hi all, here are the final pictures for my Fantastic Voyage Proteus Diorama build. I wanted to depict the part of the movie where the sub had entered into the inner ear and the intake vents had got blocked up with as Donald Pleasence called them "particular fibres".

This meant scratch building the 3 leg supports that were shown in the movie and I attached a diver to the front intake, who is attempting to remove the fibres. The guy with the laser rifle is a bit of artistic licence as that scene came later in the movie. The base was an old plastic sweet box [Quality Street or Candy for our US folks], which I sprayed black and added a 12v power socket and various coloured flashing LED lights.

I covered that with some bubble wrap to give the impression of cell structures, bearing in mind that the sub has been miniaturised to the size of an atom. For the fibres I used a Tack cloth washed in lacquer thinners to remove the wax impregnated in it. Then I attached the shredded cloth to the sub with UV clear resin which I airbrushed clear blue, red and black smoke Tamiya paints over them.

Many thanks to everyone for all the great comments and feedback for this build thread. I would like to build another Proteus kit in the future, but to keep it clean looking and sitting on the miniaturisation table. I hope you enjoy the 60's psychedelic dive into the human body!

7FrLTfd.jpg
DB9dcTr.jpg
2YFpysl.jpg
vNGvDUV.jpg
vfnfn7I.jpg
YPjn7E8.jpg
g3GFyVO.jpg
U9vSRay.jpg
3tpvG8e.jpg
c3iZ659.jpg
eCKZmN0.jpg
BtNyQ1C.jpg
XJ2u3Qo.jpg
COrdosa.jpg
FhBz9FZ.jpg
sTsujFO.jpg
rnyEXj2.jpg
9EuZFLj.jpg
6FTPGHO.jpg
xhfISDW.jpg
xl6MXcQ.jpg
Gzjs4GC.jpg
u7GYbaX.jpg
avBhbEZ.jpg
NN23WDP.jpg
PScraAV.jpg
Yz5oFYG.jpg
2rJ6CWw.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Amazing job. I remember seeing the film on release. I like the kit, but just a touch expensive for me. The lighting makes it believable.

Thanks, I bought the kit on it's release, Mobius kit's seem too pricey these days. But I would love to pick another kit up in the future for a reasonable price.

An excellent build, ages since I saw the film or read the book, but your diorama really catches the spirit of the film. 

• Thanks 1

• Lee Chambers changed the title to 1/32 Moebius Fantastic Voyage Proteus Diorama
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry to butt into this thread, and I have to say it’s a lovely looking duo, but I noticed that the pics were loading slowly. :wait: 

I tested some of the pics, and they were 1.8mb in size, which is huge when posting up on the internet.  You should be aiming to save your files to around 200kb optimally, give or take a bit.  To accomplish this, you can reduce the size of your pics, as anything over the recommended 1024 x 800 maximum we advise, it's wasted bandwidth and storage space useage.  Most people view these pics on phones, tablets and 1080p screens, so huge photos of 4000 x 3000 px will have to be shrunk down by the forum software (load on the server and delay for the user), as well as the extra bandwidth that is uses up (10x what's necessary).

The downsides of this from a viewer's point of view is the waiting time before you can view the pics, and some people might get bored and click away.  From the server's point of view, it's wasteful of bandwidth, storage size (we cache images to improve speed), and it's also wasteful of the server's resources, which means a slower experience for all of us.

This isn't meant as a "telling off" BTW, more of a bit of useful advice to help you as well as help us.  If you can size your pics to the recommended limits, we'll be really happy, and so will the members :) 

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Sorry to butt into this thread, and I have to say it’s a lovely looking duo, but I noticed that the pics were loading slowly. :wait: 

I tested some of the pics, and they were 1.8mb in size, which is huge when posting up on the internet.  You should be aiming to save your files to around 200kb optimally, give or take a bit.  To accomplish this, you can reduce the size of your pics, as anything over the recommended 1024 x 800 maximum we advise, it's wasted bandwidth and storage space useage.  Most people view these pics on phones, tablets and 1080p screens, so huge photos of 4000 x 3000 px will have to be shrunk down by the forum software (load on the server and delay for the user), as well as the extra bandwidth that is uses up (10x what's necessary).

The downsides of this from a viewer's point of view is the waiting time before you can view the pics, and some people might get bored and click away.  From the server's point of view, it's wasteful of bandwidth, storage size (we cache images to improve speed), and it's also wasteful of the server's resources, which means a slower experience for all of us.

This isn't meant as a "telling off" BTW, more of a bit of useful advice to help you as well as help us.  If you can size your pics to the recommended limits, we'll be really happy, and so will the members :) 

No problem, I get my Nephew to load the images,so I will inform him of your request.

7 hours ago, Lee Chambers said:

No problem, I get my Nephew to load the images,so I will inform him of your request.

Nice one :yes: For a while I was getting a big tall light grey column and no photos, so with smaller file sizes, you've less chance of someone getting bored or thinking your pics are broken going forward.  That should make for more successful views and probably more people telling you how nice your work is ^_^

• Thanks 1