1/72nd Airfix Dakota, 41 Sqn, RNZAF

Hiya Folks,

Another one from the Aussie/NZ GB,......  This model represents NZ3546 of 41 Sqn RNZAF which was used to support the 14 Sqn RNZAF Corsair `s based in Japan on occupation duties which had a New Zealand natioal flag on its nose,....... and as I had one of these on a DK Decals Catalina sheet,..... I used that;

Here is the WIP with photos of real Kiwi Dakota`s;

,And here is the model;

DSCF0890_NEW.jpg

DSCF0892_NEW.jpg

DSCF0889_NEW.jpg

DSCF0885-NEW.jpg

DSCF0877-NEW.jpg

DSCF0878-NEW.jpg

DSCF0879-NEW.jpg

DSCF0882-NEW.jpg

DSCF0883-NEW.jpg

And a huge thank you to Steve (stevenhz) for kindly sending me the decals all the way from New Zealand as a nice surprise,.....

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 62

52 minutes ago, BerndM said:

Your Dakota is a real beauty.

Thanks Bernd,.... glad you like it.

42 minutes ago, ForestFan said:

That looks great, never seen that scheme, you’ve done a fine job

Cheers mate,...... good scheme isn`t it,..... as soon as I came across it I knew I wanted to model it. 

• Like 1

How interesting!  Great model, and great scheme.  Was the real aircraft painted silver as opposed to bare-metal?  I ask, because there appear to be a couple large areas of "touch-up" near the cargo door.

• Like 1

Your model has me tempted to try to find a 1/48 scale version to duplicate that scheme.  Very attractive.  Great build!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BerndM said:

Hope your dog is more impressed by now :)

LOL,.... She is NEVER impressed mate,..... unless she is eating!

58 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

How interesting!  Great model, and great scheme.  Was the real aircraft painted silver as opposed to bare-metal?  I ask, because there appear to be a couple large areas of "touch-up" near the cargo door.

Cheers,.... they were bare metal,..... but if you look t the WIP you`ll see that I had  major varnish knightmare right at the end! It was either try to repair the damage caused bt sanding the varnish away,..... or paint it Olive Drab,..... so I chose to replicate repaired skinning around the cargo area.

53 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Your model has me tempted to try to find a 1/48 scale version to duplicate that scheme.  Very attractive.  Great build!

Thanks mate,..... yeah go for it,.... it would look brilliant in the larger scale. 

51 minutes ago, Papa Delta said:

Very nice.

Chees mate. 

35 minutes ago, invidia said:

Fantastic looking model

Thanks mate,..... glad you like it.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lovely finish Tony - I'm glad I'm not the only one to suffer decal & gloss coat disasters!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

That looks fantastic!

A very regal-looking scheme - really pretty on a Dak/DC-3!

So glad you persevered in spite of your paint/decal issues (I'd never have known).

:clap2::clap2:

• Like 1

A lovely scheme Tony, this looks fantastic .  I love the look of these Aircraft and have a real soft spot for the Dakota,  after seeing them as a youngster landing at Lydd in the 70s and early 80s used to love watching them.  A great model and great work as always fella.

Chris

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely finish Tony - I'm glad I'm not the only one to suffer decal & gloss coat disasters!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,..... yeah I fell at the final fence but got up and dusted myself off,..... this model fought me all the way,..... not the kits fault,..... just a bit of a jinx on it I think,..... you sometimes get that eh!

14 hours ago, kapam said:

That looks fantastic!

A very regal-looking scheme - really pretty on a Dak/DC-3!

So glad you persevered in spite of your paint/decal issues (I'd never have known).

:clap2::clap2:

Cheers mate,.... yeah it is a pretty scheme,.... which is why I wanted to have  go at it,...... there were some with a similar cheatline but with wartime roundels with bars too. 

13 hours ago, Natter said:

As already noted, it really does look good in that scheme.

Thanks mate. 

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

A lovely scheme Tony, this looks fantastic .  I love the look of these Aircraft and have a real soft spot for the Dakota,  after seeing them as a youngster landing at Lydd in the 70s and early 80s used to love watching them.  A great model and great work as always fella.

Chris

Cheers Chris,..... yeah lovely aircraft the old Dak,.... I always wanted to parachute from one,..... almot the got the chance but the aircraft went u/s! 

3 hours ago, TimT said:

Just lovely. Looks so elegant in silver. The picked out panel lines add a lot - very nice job on that. 

Thanks Tim,... glad you like it mate. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

That's a eye catching scheme there nice finish

Thanks mate,..... but you are a Dakota aficionado!! 

• Like 1

Tony..........you are a more acclaimed at production than the famed Grumman Iron Works circa 1944.  Lovely Dakota too :goodjob:

Mike

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Tony..........you are a more acclaimed at production than the famed Grumman Iron Works circa 1944.  Lovely Dakota too :goodjob:

Mike

LOL,.... Cheers Mike,.... I wish my models were as strong!! 

• Like 1

Apologies for not following this thread, however what paint / decal issues you may have had are certainly not noticeable in these beautifully finished photos. That’s a real gem of a Dak to have in one’s collection and its so nice to see one in this scheme. Three cheers to @stevehnz as well for playing his part in this build. 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tony, lovely job on the old girl, and a scheme I haven't seen before.  Once more you're giving me ideas :hmmm:.

As it happens the 1/48 version I built a few years ago (doesn't time fly!) was also of 3546 as it was in later life as a target tug.

Well done :worthy:

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1