What music are you playing VII.

Vince1159

43 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I get it actually, My father died when I was only 4 (Leukemia and 31). The kid just wants to know more about his father and I agree its nothing to vilify the commercial over. 

That’s exactly it. The boy in the ad clearly never knew his father, and he’s asking his mother what his father was like. 

The way they scripted it, and set up the boy’s reactions to what his mother tells him, is really quite brilliant, and the bathos in the ad comes right at the end when his mother says “ ... tartar sauce on his chin” and sees the boy wipe sauce from his.

I suspect the fuss about it might have been more to do with the fact that it was McDonalds, and not another business.

Here’s an explainer on the fuss; 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39921804.amp

Sorry to hear about about your father, it must have been tough for your family.

• Thanks 1

I've been having a break from making models for a few weeks now. One of the other things I like doing is searching out new & underrated talent on YouTube. I've always been into electronic music & I know there's a number of like minded modellers on here with a taste for electronica. The other week I discovered ONUKA & I am transfixed. She's Natalia Zhyzhchenko from Ukraine & according to interviews, her father was one of the liquidators/firemen involved in the clear up at Chernobyl. 

I'm rather shocked that I'd never heard of her music up until recently as she's incredibly talented (IMHO) with a voice of an angel. The thing is, there's hardly anything written anywhere regarding reviews, so it's hardly surprising she's pretty much unknown in the UK. They employ a lot of folk elements, using some rare Eastern European or specific to Ukraine instruments. 

Is there anyone else here, who's heard of her & what they think?

There is a live version of this, but this video says it all. Like someone commented, it really should have been used in the Chernobyl drama. The recording of the woman's voice on the phone is a transcript of the first despatchers phone call reporting the fire. I found this incredibly moving. I don't think I've heard anything so moving since Kate Bush's This Woman's Work.

Here's a couple more. There's use of a lot of ancient Ukraine folk instruments which give a really distinctive sound, but all presented in an up-to-date fashion.  This one, released in 2018 was written to highlight plastic waste & the environment. Royalties from this single were to go to recycling charities in Ukraine.

And finally, with the use of a rare ancient musical instrument which I'd never seen before. The Buhay which is a hollowed out tree trunk with a skin over the end with long horse hair. Unusual it might sound, but cleverly incorporated into modern music.

I'd love to know what people think!

Martin

• Like 1

This popped up on my IPod three days ago. Apparently I downloaded it this past December, but never came up on shuffle until this week.

I've listened to it at least 2 dozen times since!

Chris

5 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

This popped up on my IPod three days ago. Apparently I downloaded it this past December, but never came up on shuffle until this week.

I've listened to it at least 2 dozen times since!

Chris

Chris, this is showing video unavailable.

From Onuka again on the Chernobyl theme. This track is meant to be an ode to of the town Prypiat & in honour to all those who died in & after the incident. I know, hardly a party piece but makes you think.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Chris, this is showing video unavailable.

All I can get is Youtube.ca, the Canadian one. Sorry!

Chris

7 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Thanks for posting those Lightningboy i'd never heard of them and they are brilliant,it's funny the way a name can throw you when i saw Onuka i expected them to be from Japan....

I thought a few of their native folk instruments had an oriental sound. I've seen similar Chinese instruments. Must have travelled across the continent with Marco Polo! Onuka is translated as "granddaughter". She's a granddaughter of a man who owned one of the largest musical instrument factories in Ukraine before the Soviet system decimated everything, so I have read. You can tell I'm now obsessed with everything about this girl & her music! Reading about her background throws up a lot of really interesting history.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Video Unavailable. This video contains content from UMG, who has blocked it in your country in copywrite grounds.

Whatever song it was ...

1 minute ago, Mick4350 said:

Video Unavailable. This video contains content from UMG, who has blocked it in your country in copywrite grounds.

Whatever song it was ...

It's the Verve  Bittersweet Symphony Mick,it's still here to watch strange how it's different things in different countries when it comes to licences...

7 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

What was it of? I might be able to look it up?

It's John Hiatt and The Goners. The song is My Baby Blue.

Chris

3 hours ago, Rick Brown said:

Various, 

Record Store Day!

Too much money spent....

Rick.

Excellent news for record shops if you can find any. Haven't purchased any vinyl in years though & the turntable hasn't seen use in about fifteen.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Here you go mate, like that. Not bad.

All I see is a black square with Video Unavailable in white.

Chris