What music are you playing VII.

Vince1159

Some more great tunes from my days - oh sorry, nights at the Top Rank Suite Cardiff.

All instrumental, first up 

Soul Finger by the Bar Kays;

Followed by Last Night by te Mar Kays

This next one, Festival Time by the San Remo Strings, was a stalwart of the discos we went to at the Top Rank, and interestingly it was picked up by the Northern Soul movement, as were a lot of the songs played at the Rank back in the day. Just to add a little pictorial interest, here's the record being played over modern day Northern soul dancers.

These tracks were amazingly popular, you would see people all around the dance floor suddenly get up and start dancing when the dj played them. 

Of course, we callow youths (That was myself and 3 or four fellow pupils at Cardiff High School for boys) followed all the girls onto the dance floor, often to be cruelly rejected, or pushed out of the way by older, more confident (and a lot harder) men.

You can tell how callow we were as us 17 and 18 year old boys would go tot he Thursday night (open till 2 am !) over 25 night, calling it grab a granny night!

Finally, though I don't think I ever heard it played at the Rank, here's another fantastic northern soul track which I have absolutely loved since I first hear it in 1972. 

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 1

My three times a week adventures in the Cardiff Top Rank suite - well we used to go on Saturday afternoon teen  time from around 14 to 16,  then there was tuesday under 18's, thursday over 25's (or grab a granny as we teenagers used to say) and then Saturday night's alright for fighting. So dependin on age, up to 3 times a week. That was from when I was 14 or so to early 20's, but by the early 20's, my mates and I had moved on to Ceasar's night club, where the music was less soul oriented and and the drinks less walet friendly, and the girls .... no chance!

Well, the Saturday night experience was one where you definitely did not offend anyone. You used to get loads of men down from the valleys and I have to say I've never seen a crowd of blokes so eager, especially after they'd had 6 or 7 pints, to get 7 bells knocked out of them by the bouncers.

And if you offended one of them, youd likely get 7 bells knocked out of you before the bouncers came to your rescue. Which rescue usually consisted of "I don't care if you say he started it," take this  and that and then you got thrown out, too.

But onto happeir moments - the music. Apart from all the wonderful  stuff from the US soul and R N B labels, you'd get the occasional absolute classic thrown in by the DJs - who were very, very good at their job, like these;

Then there was this;

• Like 7

🇺🇦

Love this song, Gilmour at his best on this one for sure ... I want to say something but I cant, have tears in my eyes watching and listening to this just now, from the Division Bell album, such a hauntingly beautiful and somehow perfect song for now.

Shot on location, in Space and on Earth, this is apparently the only Pink Floyd song to ever win a Grammy award and was rarely played live at Floyd Shows, seen Floyd Live at Earls Court 1994 and I'm pretty sure it was not played live the night I was there.

Love the video, so appropriate now it seems.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, One 48 said:

🇺🇦

Love this song, Gilmour at his best on this one for sure ... I want to say something but I cant, have tears in my eyes watching and listening to this just now, from the Division Bell album, such a hauntingly beautiful and somehow perfect song for now.

Shot on location, in Space and on Earth, this is apparently the only Pink Floyd song to ever win a Grammy award and was rarely played live at Floyd Shows, seen Floyd Live at Earls Court 1994 and I'm pretty sure it was not played live the night I was there.

Love the video, so appropriate now it seems.

It is a great song, I was at the July show in Chicago at Soldier field on the same tour. I don't think it was played then either. 

• Like 1

Love this cover, its a bit heavy but done in perfect Heaviness and Rockiness perfection and Mary Spender is so cute too.

These guys are having fun and know what they are doing, love this ... please watch, this is one very good fun cover of a great classic 🎸

• Like 4

2 hours ago, IanHx said:

Anyone else catch that folk song about the Bayraktar drone on the news ?

I did via the Turkish defence page on Instagram. Catchy little ditty! Brilliant what those drones are capable of. Will see some models of those in the future.