What music are you playing VII.

Vince1159

Yesterday I let my Voodoo Room CD do a couple of loops filling the house with Pete Orr’s superb playing. Tales of Poor Ulysses being a favourite :). His Hey Joe kicks a bit too :)

• Like 3

On 8/23/2022 at 2:22 AM, lasermonkey said:

Just listened to a couple of albums by Swedish duo I Break Horses, these being Chiaroscuro and Hearts. It ranges from slick electropop to lo-fi nu-gaze. Sometimes I'm reminded of labelmates Beach House or SPC ECO or The Besnard Lakes if they swapped their Jazzmasters for Juno 60s, but I haven't heard anything by them I didn't like.

..and the song that got me into them:

That's an instant like from me! Reminds me of works from Ulrich Schnauss where a lot of the melodies are written on piano then recorded with synths & loads of effects. Also reminds of old Norwegian band Bel Canto. 

I've got to buy myself a synth that I can plug into my MacBook. Trouble is it might be a hobby that takes up more time than the models. I do play around with Garageband making remixes of existing tracks and adding extra tracks with sounds etc 

Spotted an article entitled "Robbie Williams - 20 songs - ranked!" in the Guardia\n, which led me to browsae you tube for Old before I die and Let me entertain you.

Both songs great, great pop songs.

I then continued my brief excursion into pop when I found Geri Halliwell's Look at Me and Bag it Up, again both tremendously good pop songs.

I then went for the only great pop songsince 1.1.2000, the incomparable Kylie and Can't get you out of my head.

I then found Malcolm Mclaren's great trio of  tracks

Double Dutch

Buffalo Gals

Aria on Air (BA face advert music), aka Delibes The "Flower Duet"

As ever, whenever I browse you tube, I finished with perennial favourites 

Walk this way

Jump around 

and

Prisencolinensinainciusol by Adriano Celentano

This is a 12 minute video which oncludes the best video of the song. The rest of the video is broadly a celebration of Celantano's musical career, he being a mega star in his native Italy.

The lyrics to Prisencolinensinainciusol are written how English lyrics in songs sound to Italians.

• Like 1

Was fantastic to hear Brian Cox choose this on Ken Bruce's Tracks Of My Years yesterday.

This KEXP channel often has some pretty good talented guests. This, a studio performance is as good as if not better than their album recording. Such brilliant musician's & perfect timing! Actually shows an even better performance live at brixton Academy with some of the original Apollo film clips.

• Like 3

KEXP is a consistently good radio channel. I’ve been aware of it for quite some time, as a friend of mine was in a fairly well-known Seattle band (no, not that one!) and he turned me onto it. So many great sessions and you get the feeling they really do live for the music at the station.

• Like 1

That Bel Canto tune is the only one of theirs I like. Being a massive Cocteaus fan, I'm always told that if I like them, I'll love "insert name of band here", but I invariably don't. I'm a really fussy beggar. That said, I do like The Glassmaker a lot. She sounds so much like Tiny Dynamine/Echoes In A Shallow Bay-era Liz, I'd probably have believed you if you told me it was her!

It's been a long ol' while since I last heard Birthday. The backing music sounds much more like '90s era Cocteau Twins than I remembered, something I think I dismissed out of hand at the time. Top tune, though. I think that Bjork is a bona fide genius. Much of what she does isn't to my taste, but I have massive respect for her as an artist. She's tiny though- I walked past her backstage at a festival, and she was shorter than Mrs Lasermonkey, who's only 5'3".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 12:49 AM, Lightningboy2000 said:

Thanks to fightersweep I just had to have a listen to this. Haven't listened to this for a while.

Great lyrics but sad it's still not over!

Sorry for taking a while to get back, but thanks for the Captain Sensible hit! It's still a great track. I saw the good Captain perform at one of those "Lets Rock" gigs a few years ago. He only did five tracks, but it was a blast to see him perform Wot, Brenda and Nice Cup of Tea, Glad It's All Over and of course, Happy Talk.

Talking of the Captain: Have you listened to Henry Badowski's one and only album? He and the Captain had a group called King sometime in that messy Damned period when they were breaking up and reforming every five minutes. I think Henry was in the Damned line up at one stage. Anyhow, Captain cited Badowski as being a genius and it's easy to see the influence he had on the Captain's solo work. It's a shame he didn't get past the debut album with A&M, and Badowski became another of those musical recluses. 

On the New Musik front: I finally picked up a Japanese CD copy of From A to B via Osaka as it has something like seven tracks that were never released anywhere other than Japan. I've been after it for a while as I wanted a physical copy of those tracks to add to the collection. Here's one;

And this little instrumental called Chic Musik. Now this surely must have influenced Wot!

Cheers!

Steve

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Mike locked this topic