What music are you playing VII.

Vince1159

Imagine a bald, fat man, in his fifties, wearing black jeans and a black t-shirt, doing karaoke at a friends 50th birthday party pretending he was wearing a white leather jumpsuit, studded with rhinestones and a big quiff of hair, apparently, my vocal range was outstanding...   ...I don't think so myself...

followed it up with a mate doing this...   >>>(I used to work with his brother when I was in the RAF)...

• Like 4

11 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

@Wez, I'm almost ashamed to admit that Addicted To Love was the very first thing I learned to play on the bass, circa a hundred years ago as a teenager. 

We all have to learn somewhere and something first. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Haha 1

For anyone who is a die hard electronic music fan. This was originally written by Haroumi Hosono and was included on the 1981 Yellow Magic Orchestra - BGM album. The album was produced with the very first use of the Roland 808 drum machine & this track was the very first rap song written with it. This has been covered by MYA/Chiba Mo who also do pretty good Kraftwerk covers.

• Like 2

Just listened to a couple of albums by Swedish duo I Break Horses, these being Chiaroscuro and Hearts. It ranges from slick electropop to lo-fi nu-gaze. Sometimes I'm reminded of labelmates Beach House or SPC ECO or The Besnard Lakes if they swapped their Jazzmasters for Juno 60s, but I haven't heard anything by them I didn't like.

..and the song that got me into them:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Currently drifting around following unrelated threads through you tube videos and finding some gems I either didn't remember or hadn't heard of. Some real pleasers cropped up and some dogs, but that's the fun of trawling.

When settled and reading I been finding meself drawn more to Albert Lee and Hogans Heroes. Country/jazz/boogie. They play the lot and hey, the guy's a genius.

His backlist includes some giants of early rock n roll, country, etc. etc. and it appears everybody of any note guitar wise, has played alongside him.

Gets these old bones toe tapping. AND he's still touring at nearly 80 years of age.

Regards

Pete

• Like 1

I've always been a big Tony Mansfield fan, so this evening I've been listening to one of my favourite albums from back in 1980, New Musik's debut album "From A to B".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fightersweep said:

I've always been a big Tony Mansfield fan, so this evening I've been listening to one of my favourite albums from back in 1980, New Musik's debut album "From A to B".

Oh man! I just love this album, & the whole album's in the link! So I would have been 10 when this came out & to be honest it was the perfect soundtrack to my idylic childhood. It was only later on that I started to notice the other music that Tony was involved in. Glad that Steve Wright still plays Living By Numbers, sometimes hear This World Of Water. There's a pretty good New Muzik group on facebook & a couple of band members chip in from time to time. Don't know what happened to Mansfield, been very quiet over the years despite a cult following.

Anyone else a fan of Gregorian chant? I must admit that I am not one who thinks that the Roman-Frankish styles are superior to later forms of chant. There's a place for all forms of music, I think, no matter how the antiphon and responsory sound to our modern ears. In Tradition and innovation in medieval chant: from the ninth to the sixteenth century, David Hiley writes: "But sequences, tropes, the new Latin songs and the representational ceremonies (‘liturgical dramas’) are categorically un-Gregorian." Personally, I'd prefer not to get into an argument over it. I just hope our young folk don't get too fond of this "jazz" music which is spreading worldwide.

• Like 1

A bit late but to celebrate Ukraine Independence Day 24th August I thought I would post this.

Today Ukrainian band Onuka uploaded a full set list from a live performance which was recorded 27th August in Kyiv last year.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Oh man! I just love this album, & the whole album's in the link! So I would have been 10 when this came out & to be honest it was the perfect soundtrack to my idylic childhood. It was only later on that I started to notice the other music that Tony was involved in. Glad that Steve Wright still plays Living By Numbers, sometimes hear This World Of Water. There's a pretty good New Muzik group on facebook & a couple of band members chip in from time to time. Don't know what happened to Mansfield, been very quiet over the years despite a cult following.

Magic! Another New Musik fan! We're pretty close then. I was 11 in 1980, and it was 79 and 80 that I became obsessed with music. And what a great time to get into music too. I tried to watch anything that showcased current artists such as Top of the Pops (of course), Kenny Everett's Video Show, Cheggers, Old Grey Whistle Test and any appearances on shows like Tiswas, Swap Shop and even Crackerjack (remember Gary Numan on that show). So much good stuff to take in.

I loved the singles Straight Lines, Living by Numbers (naturally) and World of Water, but I didn't manage to pick up a copy of "From A to B" until a few years later. It was worth the wait though as for me, it was one of those rare perfect albums. I still love it to this day. I also treated myself to a new vinyl copy of "Anywhere" the other day. Another great New Musik album, although "A to B" will always be my favourite. I also love Captain Sensible's debut album "Women and Captains First" as it was produced, co written and featured Tony Mansfield throughout, so it naturally has a very New Musik vibe.

Thanks for the heads up on the New Musik FB group. I'll check that out. I understand Tony has been very reclusive for years now. I couldn't even manage to find barely any contemporary interviews with him. 

1 hour ago, fightersweep said:

Magic! Another New Musik fan! We're pretty close then. I was 11 in 1980, and it was 79 and 80 that I became obsessed with music. And what a great time to get into music too. I tried to watch anything that showcased current artists such as Top of the Pops (of course), Kenny Everett's Video Show, Cheggers, Old Grey Whistle Test and any appearances on shows like Tiswas, Swap Shop and even Crackerjack (remember Gary Numan on that show). So much good stuff to take in.

I loved the singles Straight Lines, Living by Numbers (naturally) and World of Water, but I didn't manage to pick up a copy of "From A to B" until a few years later. It was worth the wait though as for me, it was one of those rare perfect albums. I still love it to this day. I also treated myself to a new vinyl copy of "Anywhere" the other day. Another great New Musik album, although "A to B" will always be my favourite. I also love Captain Sensible's debut album "Women and Captains First" as it was produced, co written and featured Tony Mansfield throughout, so it naturally has a very New Musik vibe.

Thanks for the heads up on the New Musik FB group. I'll check that out. I understand Tony has been very reclusive for years now. I couldn't even manage to find barely any contemporary interviews with him. 

I think you miight like the same sort of stuff I do then. I'm sure you'll like what I upload here then. I find music an antidote to the model hobby & drifting off back in time.

Definitely 77-79 was when all the big electronic acts really started up. Currently reading Karl Bartos' autobiography which really puts a lot of music we hear today into perspective especially when you read what they were influenced by.

One of the first singles I purchased was Captain Says Wot by Mr Sensible along with Driving In My Car by Madness of all things. I really liked Glad It's All Over which had Tony Mansfield all over it. That could easily have been on that "From A to B" album, has some brilliant synth sounds on that. Thomas Dolby's music I was pretty much obsessed with & still am.

Actually found a free view channel that was showing nothing but old Kenny Everett the other night, can't remember what the name of the channel was. Midge Ure helped produce a lot of the music videos for other artists for the Everett show believe it or not.