What music are you playing VII.

Vince1159

21 hours ago, RAF4EVER said:

also certain scenes may upset some, for which I also apologise:

No need,history is history and the younger generations need to be reminded...

This was loved by both the Allies and Axis...

and from 1963...

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 6

There is some landmark music from those times. Glen Miller's String of Pearls always gives me goosebumps.

To think that it may have been the last piece of music that many young men heard. 

• Like 3

On 8/2/2022 at 10:53 PM, Skodadriver said:

This still cracks me up every time

Brilliant! 

In reply to that, this is Poeme Electronique the ultimate lost band of the 80's that actually recorded a complete album of worthy material as well as this alternative take on The Model from the female perspective.

• Like 1

Have been listening to The Smiths of late, very much enjoy them; I like Morrissey too but I prefer The Smiths, they were actually a very good band, especially for the 90's and the past couple of days I've been listening to The Cure, another very good band, like The Smiths, plenty of variation in their music, Alice Cooper has been getting some ear time too!

• Like 1

Listening to the soundtrack theme to Amelie, which I really loved, made me go back to the soundtrack to one of my all time favourite war movies. "A Very Long Engagement" by Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

It so happens the score was written by Angelo Badalamenti who was also responsible for the Twin Peaks score.

• Like 1

I watched a very interesting programme on Sky Arts called Sisters With Transistors which, unsurprisingly, is about women and the history of electronic music. I had been aware of the likes of Daphne Oram, Delia Derbyshire and Suzanne Ciani, but there was lots of information,  music and artists I didn’t know, with lots to go off and listen to. 
A fascinating programme and well worth a watch if you have even a passing interest in electronic music. As something of a synth nerd, it was great seeing Suzanne Ciani with her Buchla modular synth and judging from the huge grin on her face, I wonder if it was one of those synths that was famously dosed with LSD*? Also the mega rare ARP 2500 played by Eliane Radigue. 

*there was a long standing rumour that Don Buchla, an associate  of LSD guru Ken Kesey, had applied liquid LSD to some of the controls of his synths, the idea being that it might inspire the musicians in some way. I guess people thought differently in the late 60s! Anyway, cut to 2019 and a synth repair man who was renovating a Buchla Model 100 synth that had sat in a university cupboard since the late 60s suddenly starts feeling strange after removing a weird, crystallised residue from the synth with his finger. This was followed by a nine hour “trip” which was later confirmed to have been LSD by analysing the remaining residue. 

• Like 4

Spent some time with The Eagles yesterday, Desperado and Hotel California, and realised that some of that stuff was recorded nearly 50 years ago! God I feel old.

There were a lot of mind altering substances around in those days too, and some of it a lot stronger than LSD.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I watched a very interesting programme on Sky Arts called Sisters With Transistors which, unsurprisingly, is about women and the history of electronic music. I had been aware of the likes of Daphne Oram, Delia Derbyshire and Suzanne Ciani, but there was lots of information,  music and artists I didn’t know, with lots to go off and listen to. 
A fascinating programme and well worth a watch if you have even a passing interest in electronic music. As something of a synth nerd, it was great seeing Suzanne Ciani with her Buchla modular synth and judging from the huge grin on her face, I wonder if it was one of those synths that was famously dosed with LSD*? Also the mega rare ARP 2500 played by Eliane Radigue. 

*there was a long standing rumour that Don Buchla, an associate  of LSD guru Ken Kesey, had applied liquid LSD to some of the controls of his synths, the idea being that it might inspire the musicians in some way. I guess people thought differently in the late 60s! Anyway, cut to 2019 and a synth repair man who was renovating a Buchla Model 100 synth that had sat in a university cupboard since the late 60s suddenly starts feeling strange after removing a weird, crystallised residue from the synth with his finger. This was followed by a nine hour “trip” which was later confirmed to have been LSD by analysing the remaining residue. 

I stayed up to watch that, last night. Fascinating to hear about those women pioneers or sound artists. The one I found fascinating the most was Éliane Radigue who made some really mysterious (to me) sound scapes.

• Like 1