What music are you playing VII.

Vince1159

Punk weekend continues, this time with offerings from groups with female lead singers.  Punk brought us some great female artists, these are some of my favourites...

...first up X-Ray Spex with the late, great, Poly Styrene...

...followed by Penetration fronted by Pauline Murray...

...finally, no line up of female led groups would be complete without Siouxsie Sioux, here is an early line up of Siouxsie and the Banshees with McKay and Morris (some say the best line up but I don't agree, their replacements were Budgie and the sublime John McGeoch, in my mind, the classic Banshees line up)...

Punk Weekend continues with some American punk

• Like 4

Chez Wez Punk Weekend continues with American punk this time, the early stuff starting with...   ....the Ramones!  Hard to chose one from a host of favourites but this one from their second album seldom gets played, I love the drum break...

....1,2,3,4!

...this lot contained two ex New York Dolls (Thunders and Jerry Nolan), the song is actually written by Dee Dee Ramone, the band were plagued by an appalling heroin habit and were credited with introducing British punks to the habit, it was through the band that Sid Vicious met Nancy Spungen which plainly, didn't work out well for either of them.  Thunders guitar on this is brilliant...

...finally, the artsy side of American punk, this is such a great song, Tina Weymouth's bassline is a classic!

Chez Wez Punk Weekend's final instalment will be some current bands who certainly have that punk ethic!

• Like 3

Final instalment of Chez Wez Punk Weekend (the wonderful Mrs Wez is hoping for something more melodic for next weekend's theme).  This is more modern stuff starting off with Blood Red Shoes (this is 14 years old but the 14 year old me would have loved this)...

...this is a new band to me, I heard this on Craig Charles' 6Music afternoon show in his Trunk of Punk feature as I was driving home (don't worry folks, I'd started at 0630 so I wasn't slacking off), I fell in love with it right away, its attitude and the lo-fi scuzziness appealed...

...finally, a band I've championed before, very much in the ethos of the punk, female led bands of the first wave, enjoy...

I feel I've monopolised this thread this weekend but hopefully, you've enjoyed it?  If you haven't, what's wrong with your ears??!!

• Like 1

@Wez , I'd have to say you finished on a killer song there with Talking Heads.

I'd have to say that they are, after the Pistols, my favourite band of that era.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After discovering or rediscovering lost 80's electronic band Poeme Electronique on YouTube I found that the members had reconvened around 2010 or thereabouts & made some new music & gave themselves a new band name.

Found this & thought it was pretty well produced & has an epic feel to it. Might have done well in Germany as well as other countries but unheard of in the UK. Bit of a cheap DIY video though

23 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Damn,that's one thing i didn't expect to hear..

RIP...

I'll leave this from 'Fire Walk With Me',the bar scene where Laura realizes what her fate is going to be..

Was very sad to hear. I heard a few years ago that she was chronically unwell. Always loved her voice & the music she did with Hybrid. 

• Like 1