What music are you playing VII.

Vince1159

Blood Drive by ASG.

No, I'm not a rocker by any stretch of the imagination. I'm far too much of a self-conscious, sensitive indie kid (albeit a 56 year old one). And ASG are considered Southern Rock, which makes me think of Lynyrd Skynyrd and, therefore, repels me. But, on Blood Drive at least, it veers from dumb punk to introspective, melodic rock, and I can get onboard with that. There's also a hint of earlier Sabbath in places and speaking of, I followed with Master Of Reality.

Which is obviously about Stevia. ;-)

Sabbath was the first band I became obsessed with. It's music for outsiders. As someone who never really felt like they fitted in anywhere, they spoke to me in a way that no other band I'd heard at the time did. Subsequently, the music I gravitated towards tended to be dark and/or melancholy. Think The Cure, Joy Division, Radiohead, etc.

Tony Iommi is the reason I picked up the guitar. You'd never think so if you heard me, as I'm very much in the post-punk/dream pop mould, but occasionally, I'll pick up my tuned down to C# SG and murder a few Sabbath tunes.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Oh wow I haven't heard Madness in a long time, thanks for posting these. I couldn't agree more on the Sabbath comments by the way. Been a fan of them since 81 when I first heard them. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Oh wow I haven't heard Madness in a long time, thanks for posting these. I couldn't agree more on the Sabbath comments by the way. Been a fan of them since 81 when I first heard them. 

No problem and here's Ozzy at his best...

• Like 3

On 17/05/2022 at 12:46, lasermonkey said:

I'll pick up my tuned down to C# SG

I'm a C standard man myself, and I love letting the fuzz flow.

13 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

No problem and here's Ozzy at his best...

The version of Mr Crowley on the Live And Loud album was just superb.  A young Zakk Wylde letting rip on some of Randy's greatest riffs; just perfect.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

I'm a C standard man myself, and I love letting the fuzz flow.

My favourite fuzz is a tweaked clone of the Monolith Oracle. It’s a Tonebender Mk 1.5/Fuzz Face derivative with very high gain germanium transistors and a modified Big Muff tonestack. Perfect for doom/stoner tones and on bass you can pluck a string and it just sustains forever! I named that fuzz the Flower Of Evil after the Electric Wizard song.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

My favourite fuzz is a tweaked clone of the Monolith Oracle. It’s a Tonebender Mk 1.5/Fuzz Face derivative with very high gain germanium transistors and a modified Big Muff tonestack. Perfect for doom/stoner tones and on bass you can pluck a string and it just sustains forever! I named that fuzz the Flower Of Evil after the Electric Wizard song.

That does sound very nice indeed.  Is this one you've created yourself?  At the moment I'm using three fuzz pedals - an MXR Sub Machine, a Zander American Geek and a FuzzDog Sunny T Extreme.  They go straight into the front end of my Orange Rockerverb and sound great.  That said, can a man ever have too many fuzz pedals?  I think a Flower Of Evil would fit nicely in there!

From time to time I breeak out my Fleetwood Mac greatest hits CD, more often than not on those summer drives to model shows, when the urge to bellow along is highest. Other good best ofs for model shows for me are Madonna's Immaculate Collection, The Beach Boys platinum hits, Kylie's Greatest, The Kinks, the 40 song 2 CD best of the Stones, and the 50 song 2 CD best of the Beatles I burned many years ago. Despite my screen name, the Who's best ofs aren't necessarily the best on a hot summer's day on the motorway,. 

But Pete Townshend's best of - a different matter!

And sometimes, I take along those compilations of hits from the '60's, just because I think the pop charts then were the greatest collection of sngles of all time. Well, certainly  those from 1963 to 1969, inclusive.

So I'm listening to Fleetwood' Mac's best of. Why, perhaps is the question, now instead of Sunday on the way to or from the GLoucester club show?

Because I saw this in this morning's on line Guardian, 

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/may/19/fleetwood-mac-ranked-30-best-songs

and I just fancied a sneaky extra bellow a longa Fleetwood Mac !!

• Like 1

On 17/05/2022 at 12:46, lasermonkey said:

Blood Drive by ASG.

No, I'm not a rocker by any stretch of the imagination. I'm far too much of a self-conscious, sensitive indie kid (albeit a 56 year old one). And ASG are considered Southern Rock, which makes me think of Lynyrd Skynyrd and, therefore, repels me. But, on Blood Drive at least, it veers from dumb punk to introspective, melodic rock, and I can get onboard with that. There's also a hint of earlier Sabbath in places and speaking of, I followed with Master Of Reality.

Which is obviously about Stevia. 😉

Sabbath was the first band I became obsessed with. It's music for outsiders. As someone who never really felt like they fitted in anywhere, they spoke to me in a way that no other band I'd heard at the time did. Subsequently, the music I gravitated towards tended to be dark and/or melancholy. Think The Cure, Joy Division, Radiohead, etc.

Tony Iommi is the reason I picked up the guitar. You'd never think so if you heard me, as I'm very much in the post-punk/dream pop mould, but occasionally, I'll pick up my tuned down to C# SG and murder a few Sabbath tunes.

Can’t beat a bit o’ Sabbath!😎

• Like 1

Messed up my Whitesnake Foreigner Europe post by not posting Ytube links that actually worked, had set them to totally private, sorted now, please have another look, it was a very, very good show indeed 👍 Need to scroll up to see my original post and working videos I guess :)

Edited by One 48

I've declared this weekend punk weekend in Chez Wez, first instalment is the British First Wave starting with the only band that matters...

...followed by Johnny and the rest of those Pistol Boys...

...and finally, a tribute to the Shangri La's...

Remember, punk is for life, not only for 1976!

More instalments to follow which will include women in punk (can you guess who might be included there)?  American first wave punk, British second wave of punk and latter day punk

• Like 5

Punk weekend continued on Friday evening at Chez Wez, this lot got a sound listening to whilst I was cooking dinner...

...this one was the soundtrack to my angst ridden yoof!  It really resonated with the young man who knew there was more to the world than a small island off of the south coast of the UK, these lads from Northern Ireland knew how I felt...

...there's so many great songs I could pick from this band, if you have the time, seek out "The Crack", such a great album...

...finally a great Scottish band with one of the finest guitarists of the time, the late, great Stuart Adamson...

I'll be listening to some female fronted groups for the next instalment

• Like 4