What music are you playing VII.

Vince1159

I've just finished reading Johnny Rogans biography of Ray Davies.

I've mentioned this before that if you ever had read anyhing about how difficult Ray Davies was to work with - for instance, his brother Dave, the bass player Pete Quaife and drummer Mick Avory, then if you ever read the book (650 pages long) you are in for a jaw dropping read.

No spoilers, let's say he probably is the most difficult man in "pop/rock" to work with. I was astounded at some of the events in the Kinks history.

But Oh my word, such a brilliant songwriter.

I've got a best of which I've listened to a couple of times while reading the book, and here's not quite the whole track listing, but honestly, outside  of Abba, the Beatles, the Stones, Beach Boys and the Who (Oh come on, you knew I was going to include them!) the Kinks have had a staggering run of truly great songs;

You really got me

All day and all of the night

Tired of Waiting for you

Set me Free

See my Friends

Where have all the good times gone

Dedicated follower of fashion

Well respected man

Sunny afternoon

Dead end street

Waterloo Sunset

Autumn Almanac

Days

Victoria

Lola

Apeman

Death of a clown       (Dave Davies)

Susannah's still alive  (Dave Davies)

David Watts               (Covered by The Jam)

I go to sleep               Covered by the Pretenders)

Stop your sobbing     (Covered by the Pretenders)

The Dave Davies songs were effectively Kinks songs, where Ray "allowed" Dave to release them as solo songs.

There aren't many bands who can point to say 16 songs of the quality of those Kinks hit singles, and of of course the 3 album tracks I've noted were hits for the Jam and Pretenders.

I've thouroughly enjoyed listening to these songs as I've read the book, and the songs are all on you tube somewhere for your delectation.

Likely a bit of a Stevie Wonder session tommorow !

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 1

Talking about Roxy Music, which I'm also partial to. This is one of my favourites. Can't get any cooler or sophisticated than this I think. Plus a three degrees of separation between the following clips that I only discovered last year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Whofan said:

I've just finished reading Johnny Rogans biography of Ray Davies.

I've mentioned this before that if you ever had read anyhing about how difficult Ray Davies was to work with - for instance, his brother Dave, the bass player Pete Quaife and drummer Mick Avory, then if you ever read the book (650 pages long) you are in for a jaw dropping read.

No spoilers, let's say he probably is the most difficult man in "pop/rock" to work with. I was astounded at some of the events in the Kinks history.

But Oh my word, such a brilliant songwriter.

I've got a best of which I've listened to a couple of times while reading the book, and here's not quite the whole track listing, but honestly, outside  of Abba, the Beatles, the Stones, Beach Boys and the Who (Oh come on, you knew I was going to include them!) the Kinks have had a staggering run of truly great songs;

You really got me

All day and all of the night

Tired of Waiting for you

Set me Free

See my Friends

Where have all the good times gone

Dedicated follower of fashion

Well respected man

Sunny afternoon

Dead end street

Waterloo Sunset

Autumn Almanac

Days

Victoria

Lola

Apeman

Death of a clown       (Dave Davies)

Susannah's still alive  (Dave Davies)

David Watts               (Covered by The Jam)

I go to sleep               Covered by the Pretenders)

Stop your sobbing     (Covered by the Pretenders)

The Dave Davies songs were effectively Kinks songs, where Ray "allowed" Dave to release them as solo songs.

There aren't many bands who can point to say 16 songs of the quality of those Kinks hit singles, and of of course the 3 album tracks I've noted were hits for the Jam and Pretenders.

I've thouroughly enjoyed listening to these songs as I've read the book, and the songs are all on you tube somewhere for your delectation.

Likely a bit of a Stevie Wonder session tommorow !

One of my favorite's by the kink’s.  

https://youtu.be/eEep67akIn4

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Just been listening to some more Roxy Music which lead me to on to this via Andy Mackay as he was involved with this ex YMO member.

I love all these little connections between artists, so Roxy's Phil Manzanera is in there somewhere as well as being produced by Roxy music's producer Steve Nye, who also produced Japan, there's a similarity with Japan as well I think.

• Like 1

@Vince1159 , coincidence or what - I'd just put TIna Turner's performance of Proud Mary on you tube on! CCR rock, as they say.

I've had a bit of a Michael Jackson bash tonight on you tube, in no particular order played

Remember the time

Black or White

Say say say

Beat it

Bad

• Like 1

And now I've played

I think this is the perfect pop song; incredible production- Phil Spector never did any better than this.

Perfect performance - Tina Turner's power, performance  and tone are simply wonderful.

To thnk this record flopped in the states. Disgraceful, utterly disgraceful.

At least it was a major hit in the UK, reaching number 3.

And then I found this lovely, knowing pastiche of Addicted to love;

and then there's this;

• Like 2

Off to see the Rock band Ghost, Next week Glasgow Hydro 13 04 22, my first show in a long time really.

Not first time I've seen them though, first was supporting Metallica 2019 London Twickenham and then I saw how good they were, then took the opportunity to go see them late in 2019 doing their own tour, it was awesome.

And then 2 + years of covid happened as we all know and lock downs too, but we are seeing a sort of return to normality again now, not gonna get political about it, but yeah its good to be going out again and seeing live shows.

Ghost on Wednesday ... good seats at Glasgow with a girlfriend, what could be better 👍

Not gonna post any vids of band just now, but I will from my live show once I return home Thursday, got a new concert cam for this show and future years shows, hope it all works out OK.

What I will post is this short clip of James Hetfield from Metallica who has helped this band from the beginning, his thoughts on them are mine too, basically.