What music are you playing VII.

Vince1159

Followed by the original punk...

...Wez music ground zero, imagine the scene, a rural house on the Isle of Wight, July 1977, we'd heard all of the press furore about punk, then I finally got to see and hear it on TOTP, Mad Ma Wez was trying to turn the telly off, Wez was trying to turn the volume up, Wez won at the expense of several whacks around the head!  This turned my musical world around and I'd found my tribe!

...this was the first ever punk single with a nod to the Shangri Las...

...followed by the ONLY band that matters...

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Wez said:

Followed by the original punk...

...Wez music ground zero, imagine the scene, a rural house on the Isle of Wight, July 1977, we'd heard all of the press furore about punk, then I finally got to see and hear it on TOTP, Mad Ma Wez was trying to turn the telly off, Wez was trying to turn the volume up, Wez won at the expense of several whacks around the head!  This turned my musical world around and I'd found my tribe!

...this was the first ever punk single with a nod to the Shangri Las...

...followed by the ONLY band that matters...

Bloody fantastic, Wez.  I thoroughly approve.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wez said:

Wez music ground zero, imagine the scene, a rural house on the Isle of Wight, July 1977, we'd heard all of the press furore about punk, then I finally got to see and hear it on TOTP, Mad Ma Wez was trying to turn the telly off, Wez was trying to turn the volume up, Wez won at the expense of several whacks around the head!  This turned my musical world around and I'd found my tribe!

14/07/77

Top of the Pops

David 'Kid' Jensen looks at the weekly pop chart from 1977 and introduces the Real Thing, the Saints, Jigsaw, Cilla Black, Dave Edmunds, Hot Chocolate, the Sex Pistols and a Legs & Co dance sequence.

often overlooked and forgotten, as the Pistols video was aired later in the same show..... and look at this sneering mimed performance.....  

The Saints got a lot of grief for not looking punk,  but they were going, 'We've been doing this for years" .....

NOTE The Saints formed in 1973  recorded and released their own 45 in 1976 BEFORE all the UK bands,  and came from Brisbane. 

And Queensland in the early 70's was under https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joh_Bjelke-Petersen

"He has become one of the most well-known and controversial figures of 20th-century Australian politics because of his uncompromising conservatism (including his role in the downfall of the Whitlam federal government), political longevity, and the institutional corruption that became synonymous with his later leadership.

Bjelke-Petersen's Country (later National) Party controlled Queensland despite frequently receiving a smaller number of votes than the state's two other major parties, achieving the result through a notorious system of electoral malapportionment that resulted in rural votes having a greater value than those cast in city electorates.[4][5] The effect earned Bjelke-Petersen the nickname of "the Hillbilly Dictator". Yet he was a highly popular figure among conservative voters and over the course of his 19 years as premier he tripled the number of people who voted for the CP and doubled the party's percentage vote. After the Liberals pulled out of the coalition government in 1983, Bjelke-Petersen reduced his former partners to a mere eight seats in an election held later that year. In 1985 Bjelke-Petersen launched a campaign to move into federal politics to become prime minister, though the campaign was eventually aborted.

Bjelke-Petersen was a divisive premier and earned himself a reputation as a "law and order" politician with his repeated use of police force against street demonstrators[5] and strongarm tactics with trade unions, leading to frequent descriptions of Queensland under his leadership as a police state"

I'm Stranded promo copies hit the UK music press after New Rose, and made single of the week....  and a neat bit of promo film...

Note. this is a link to time for the 1974 demo/practice recorded in Ed Kuepper's folks garage, of I'm Stranded....   

My pick is their 2nd LP, Eternally Yours. 

Though @Wez  you should also know about The Leftovers, also from Brisbane, described as the closest thing Australia had to the Sex Pistols

their sole 45 has 3 killers, these two were recorded late 77 

There used to be great web page on them,  which had the lyrics, the 2005 CD is the sinlge, and outake and live raw,  recorded on a mono tape cassette, and with the wrong kind of distortion which makes it trying to listen too,  but does confirm they were the real deal.    I used to know (via mail/phone) Peter Miller who put out The Leftovers 45, and was in one of the most obscure Australian punk bands, Just Urbain.  He was the guy who recorded The Leftovers shows.   Interesting chap to talk to about the early Oz scene.  

There weren't many early Oz punk bands who made records,  but there are some absolute killers amongst them if you actually like the genre

see these comps for some notable names

https://www.discogs.com/release/2742009-Various-Murder-Punk-Volume-1

https://www.discogs.com/release/2742025-Various-Murder-Punk-Volume-2

more obscure one off on this one

https://www.discogs.com/release/2256247-Various-Bloodstains-Across-Australia

for a dumber, more brutal take on the Saints, not on the above

The Rocks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Troy Smith thanks for posting the stuff on the Saints and the Leftovers.  I'd missed the Saints on that edition of TOTP (literally only just sitting down in front of the telly before the Pistols came on), but my best mate's older sister introduced me to them, I'm stranded is still a favourite.

In spring of 1978 a new lad appeared in our class, he'd come from Australia, he didn't look very Australian to us and he wasn't particularly good at sports but he was into punk!  He introduced me to the Leftovers (thanks Mark).  The Rocks are new to me thanks for the introduction to them (very Ramones pace of delivery).

Our new found Aussie mate, like the Saints, didn't look very punk, those who saw it as a fashion movement missing the point really, punk is more about an attitude.  He certainly had the attitude.

Anyway, today's contribution comes from the other side of the Atlantic.

Naturally, there has to be a Ramones song, Beat on the Brat, 53rd & 3rd, Sheena, Commando, the Ramones also didn't look very punk but they definitely had the attitude, please enjoy whay is probably their most famous song (btw, Johnny Ramone ONLY played down strokes on his guitar).

Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables is a great album, blistering performances particularly East Bay Ray's guitar...

...talking of American, punk rock guitar, Television disproved the assertion that punks couldn't play.  I bought my vinyl LP version of Marquee Moon in 1978, every song on the album is brilliant.  Later, I bought the CD version, mainly to preserve my LP version for posterity, the CD version has the full length version of Marquee Moon (which had to be cropped to get onto the LP version).  Enough wittering, here's Marquee Moon...

• Like 4

On 10/24/2021 at 9:54 AM, Wez said:

I Will Not Behave Myself by She Drew The Gun and Hope is the Last Thing to Die by David Holmes and Raven Violet are current household favourites but the videos aren't suitable for posting here.

I'm also a big fan of the recent Public Service Broadcasting album Bright Magic, these recent singles are a bit of a departure from their previous style but welcome nonetheless.

Love that track People, Lets Dance & the rest of the album is very well done. A couple of the tracks reminded me very much of Wolf Alice.

• Like 1

Got round to purchasing the new Public Service Broacasting album Bright Magic the other week, not realising it was a concept album/ode to Berlin & Hansa Studios.

I had coincidentally watched the fantastic Hansa Studios documentary (on Sky Arts channel) the week before.

Really worth a watch if you like Bowie, U2, Eno, Marillion, Depeche Mode & nearly every other influential electronic act from Berlin.

The little story of the young band Einstürzende Neubauten bringing in a Kangol road jackhammer to perform some rhythms on the studio floor, only to be told not to as they would all end up going through the floor!

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/programme/666021d6-d435-472f-b427-1c97759c0557/hansa-studios-by-the-wall

Blue Heaven from the Bright Magic album is superb & could easily be a Wolf Alice track, but here's Blixa Bargeld from Einstürzende Neubauten & The Bad Seeds talking over one of the PSB tracks. Way too short in my opinion.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Is ii too early for bad Christmas songs? How about an Iggy Xmas song in response to your Billy! ....It can only go downhill from here.

Nah is there anything worse than the modern rubbish that gets done  although you get the odd gem from the chaff....

4 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Nah is there anything worse than the modern rubbish that gets done  although you get the odd gem from the chaff....

🤮🤮🤮🤮

Seriously I did actually have a soft spot for this one even though the lyrics are still dire. I did think this was his best Christmas song.

• Like 1

I'm hoping that my favourite Ukrainian band will release a decent Christmas album. With their work with the best orchestras in Kiev they would create something special I think. They did do this little Christmas card a few years ago.

It is well known that the Ukrainians came up with the best Christmas songs & the above tune was based on a Ukrainian folk chant.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Today is the 30th anniversary of Freddie's death...

Bless you, Freddie.  Can't believe it's been thirty years....  I was on the bus to school when I heard that he'd died.

• Like 1